Prepare to get the shaft from the State of California

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1234665543]"Shithole Villages of Columbus"? No_Vas, since when are brand new homes located in Central Orange County considered shitty? Have you been to Compton, North Long Beach, South Central, or even Santa Ana? Can you even afford a 3,000 s.f. home in the Villages of Columbus? I'm pretty sure you have reasons to prefer Irvine over Tustin, but cut back on the snobby remarks. Unless you really do live in some "bubble", I don't think you have any idea what you are saying.</blockquote>

This comment tells me that you haven't really read much of what no_vas is saying. Just because this is the "Irvine Housing Blog" doesn't mean that everyone here loves Irvine. I think you will find the same "wouldn't be caught dead buying in Irvine" attitude from many of the regular posters here. That said, I know some wonderful people who like Irvine and have lived there for years. Those of us who aren't "Irvine people" have different ideas about what makes the ideal place to live. no_vas knows more about just about every city in the OC that most people here put together.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1234669059][quote author="hs_teacher" date=1234665543]"Shithole Villages of Columbus"? No_Vas, since when are brand new homes located in Central Orange County considered shitty? Have you been to Compton, North Long Beach, South Central, or even Santa Ana? Can you even afford a 3,000 s.f. home in the Villages of Columbus? I'm pretty sure you have reasons to prefer Irvine over Tustin, but cut back on the snobby remarks. Unless you really do live in some "bubble", I don't think you have any idea what you are saying.</blockquote>

I wouldn't be caught dead buying a home in Irvine or that built on a superfund toxic waste site dump Villages of Columbus.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I really feel bad for your students who have a functional moron for an instructor. I think we've identified the problem with the educational system. It's you.</blockquote>

NoVas,

Are you having a bad Valentine's Day? What if you lived in the Villages of Columbus and somebody called your neighborhood a shit hole place to live? Calling hs_instructor a functional moron to her students is really uncalled for. That's really uncool man.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1234671129][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1234669059][quote author="hs_teacher" date=1234665543]"Shithole Villages of Columbus"? No_Vas, since when are brand new homes located in Central Orange County considered shitty? Have you been to Compton, North Long Beach, South Central, or even Santa Ana? Can you even afford a 3,000 s.f. home in the Villages of Columbus? I'm pretty sure you have reasons to prefer Irvine over Tustin, but cut back on the snobby remarks. Unless you really do live in some "bubble", I don't think you have any idea what you are saying.</blockquote>

I wouldn't be caught dead buying a home in Irvine or that built on a superfund toxic waste site dump Villages of Columbus.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I really feel bad for your students who have a functional moron for an instructor. I think we've identified the problem with the educational system. It's you.</blockquote>

NoVas,

Are you having a bad Valentine's Day? What if you lived in the Villages of Columbus and somebody called your neighborhood a shit hole place to live? Calling hs_instructor a functional moron to her students is really uncalled for. That's really uncool man.</blockquote>

I dunno. I can't even figure out who hs_teacher was really trying to quote. He screwed up the code so that I don't know what to fix and how to make it make sense. Plus his students aren't here, so no_vas isn't calling him a moron to his students. I'm not a student of his and neither are any other IHBers, and I thank gawd everyday, that even though I went to Kali4neeuh pooblick skwels, I never had him as a teacher. Seriously, some of his comments down right scare the crap out of me that he is teaching our children. Really, you should go read some of his posts, and reread this one, he thinks no_vas is an Irvine snob, when that wasn't his point. I think if you read more of his posts, and then you would start saving for your kids' private school tuition now if you do move out here.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1234669059][quote author="hs_teacher" date=1234665543]"Shithole Villages of Columbus"? No_Vas, since when are brand new homes located in Central Orange County considered shitty? Have you been to Compton, North Long Beach, South Central, or even Santa Ana? Can you even afford a 3,000 s.f. home in the Villages of Columbus? I'm pretty sure you have reasons to prefer Irvine over Tustin, but cut back on the snobby remarks. Unless you really do live in some "bubble", I don't think you have any idea what you are saying.</blockquote>

BOOM! Roasted.

Where was the Valentines Day Love?

No_Vas just doesn't sugar coat things and for some that is hard to take.

The looming budget mess in Kalifornia was another reason that I moved out of state almost two years ago.

The "sunshine tax" is going to get very heavy.

Enjoy the traffic.

[quote author="xsocal land merchant" date=1234836745]

The "sunshine tax" is going to get very heavy.

Enjoy the traffic.</blockquote>

Coward! :lol:

But really, I love this place, but you are 100% correct, its going to get opressively expensive to be here.

-bix

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1234602681][quote author="waiting2buylater" date=1234599918][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1234519937]

Myth. The "piles of excessive government waste" don't exist. 85% of the budget is used in prisons, schools, and medical.

</blockquote>

<blockquote></blockquote>the voters of California have demanded far too many services and paid too little in taxes for too long.<blockquote></blockquote>

No_vas, these were some of your comments. I was looking for the sarcasm off in your emails but didn't find it.

"85% of the budget is used in prisons, schools and medical". Yes, that's where the bloated salaries/retirement packages for prison guards, teachers, administrators reside plus the fraud in the medicare system. CA is one of the highest taxed states and we have terrible prisons, terrible schools and terrible medical services to show for. Texas has similar demographics and it's citizens pay about 50% less taxes than Californians. That alone should prove to you that this state is run by a bunch of incompetence and spineless morons, being controlled by the powerful unions.

The budget doubled in the last 10 years (almost tripled if you count the deficit), way exceeding population growth. Who are you trying to kidding with your comments above?</blockquote>

No sarcasm. You are living in denial of reality. Which makes you pretty standard for a California voter, or you have been listening to Jon and Ken and drinking thier koolaid. The piles of government waste don't exist. Pete Wilson took care of them a long time ago.

The MediCAL system is near colapse because doctor reimbursements have been slashed and will likely get worse.

<a href="http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20090203/REG/302039970">http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20090203/REG/302039970</a>

<blockquote>A coalition of California hospitals, healthcare associations, pharmacies and Medicaid recipients has filed suit in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles to block the 5% cut in Medicaid rates that is scheduled to go into effect March 1.</blockquote>

Those "overpaid prison guards"? They are babysitting roughly double the population the facilities were designed for. If you look at it that way, we are getting a huge discount. Last Monday the Feds gave notice to expand bedspace or dump 60,000 prisioners.

<a href="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/comments_blog/2009/02/federal-judges.html">http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/comments_blog/2009/02/federal-judges.html</a>

Your comments on teachers show you to be totally detached from reality.

I don't care if they close schools, shut down all the prisons, stop mental health care and disabilty payments for the disabled. We can shut down all the rest homes. We can radically increase taxes on, well, somebody. I frankly don't give a shit which we choose. But we have to do something.</blockquote>

Yes, "overpaid prison guards". Here is an excerp from from the a 2007 Sacramento Bee's article:

<em>The average annual cost of housing an inmate in the California prison system has more than doubled over the past decade to $43,287 a year, according to figures by the Legislative Analyst's Office.

Most of the increase is due to rising labor costs, but health- care expenditures resulting from federal court orders in Sacramento and San Francisco have more than tripled in the 10-year period and figured significantly into the increase, the LAO reported. "A little bit of it is due to the growth in the inmate population, but that's a relatively small share," said Brian Brown, the author of the LAO's criminal justice report that contained the cost figures. "The bigger portion has to do with the combination of the increases in salary for the correctional officers, who make up the bulk of the prison staff, and all the increases related to health care services for inmates."

The $43,287-per-inmate price tag exceeds the $34,000 average cost that corrections officials were quoting as recently as late last year. It also represents a better than 100 percent increase over the $21,000 average the state used to spend on inmates in 1997.

Security costs, most of which are dedicated to labor, account for $19,561 of the current total, which compares to a figure of about $9,600 a decade ago, Brown said. Inmate health care, meanwhile, now costs $9,330 per prisoner. In 1997, it added up to about $2,500 per inmate, according to Brown.

Favorable contracts won by the California Correctional Peace Officers Association in the past decade have pushed the security cost upward. Rank-and-file correctional officers in the state now earn a top-scale salary of more than $73,000 a year, plus benefits.</em>

Of course we are in 2009 so it's even more costly. Most guards who might just have a high school diploma make over $100,000 due to overtime with their generous holidays and leave policy on top of their generous benefits and pension package.

No-vas, you wrote above that people like me are totally detached from reality. It's people like you who put their head in the sand, send out a few chosen links to support their position, who act like they are superior to those disagreeing with them; those are the ones totally detached from reality.

Reasonable people would look at the broken system and see that the root cause is in an overspending legislature continuing to add governmental programs that we can't afford and dole out generous benefit packages to the unions who dished out political donations.

I agree with you that we have to do something but that something is to cut cost from a bloated and wasteful system, not from adding taxes on the working class who are paying one of the highest tax burden in the nation. I am willing to pay my fair share of additional taxes but only when I can see real progress in improving this broken state government.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1234675757][quote author="PANDA" date=1234671129][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1234669059][quote author="hs_teacher" date=1234665543]"Shithole Villages of Columbus"? No_Vas, since when are brand new homes located in Central Orange County considered shitty? Have you been to Compton, North Long Beach, South Central, or even Santa Ana? Can you even afford a 3,000 s.f. home in the Villages of Columbus? I'm pretty sure you have reasons to prefer Irvine over Tustin, but cut back on the snobby remarks. Unless you really do live in some "bubble", I don't think you have any idea what you are saying.</blockquote>

NoVas,

Are you having a bad Valentine's Day? What if you lived in the Villages of Columbus and somebody called your neighborhood a shit hole place to live? Calling hs_instructor a functional moron to her students is really uncalled for. That's really uncool man.</blockquote>

I dunno. I can't even figure out who hs_teacher was really trying to quote. He screwed up the code so that I don't know what to fix and how to make it make sense. Plus his students aren't here, so no_vas isn't calling him a moron to his students. I'm not a student of his and neither are any other IHBers, and I thank gawd everyday, that even though I went to Kali4neeuh pooblick skwels, I never had him as a teacher. Seriously, some of his comments down right scare the crap out of me that he is teaching our children. Really, you should go read some of his posts, and reread this one, he thinks no_vas is an Irvine snob, when that wasn't his point. I think if you read more of his posts, and then you would start saving for your kids' private school tuition now if you do move out here.</blockquote>

I always thought hs_teacher was a young Asian female. Am I wrong?

[quote author="waiting2buylater" date=1234848291]

Reasonable people would look at the broken system and see that the root cause is in an overspending legislature continuing to add governmental programs that we can't afford and dole out generous benefit packages to the unions who dished out political donations. </blockquote>

Reasonable people would if it were true. The voters have believed for 30 years they can have thier cake and eat it too. Just like the RE bubble, that too is dying a painful death.

Did the legeslature pass prop 98 and mandate minimum spending on schools? <em>No. That's the voters.</em>

Did the legeslature demand locking up all those inmates, overcrowding the prisions, causing the overtime you describe? <em>No, that was driven by the voters too.</em>

Did the legeslature drive the cost overruns in MediCAL? <em>No, they are everywhere in the medical industry.</em>

These are the core issues why the budget is out of control, and they are out of bounds for the legeslature to do anything about. They might if they could show some leadership, but it takes time to develop leaders, and we stripped that away from the legislature when we passed term limits and defanged them.

Did you read the LAT article I posted? Looks like you'll get the prison guard overtime problem solved in three years. They are going to let out 60K, or else the Feds are going to stick us with a FAT bill to house them that will blow away what we are currently spending. The article you cited correctly shows the cost increases as wages paid to prison staff. It's easy to blame the unions, but somebody is making the schedules to keep prision guards there with about 20 hours of OT a week who isnt' a union member. Why are they scheduling all that OT that is blowing up the costs to watch these guys?

BTW, I share your outrage. My issue with your position is it is misplaced on the easy scapegoat and misses the root causes which are deeper, more complicated, and a distraction from solving the problem.

I find this position to be common around smaller government favoring Republicans who never saw a defense or "Get Tough on Crime" bill they ever disliked, cost be damned.

Our problems are deeply ingrained in the prison system and the reasons the prisoners are there. It seems we would rather house and feed drug offenders rather than paying for education when they are young that could help avert the situation entirely. Don't even get me started on drug laws. The pharmaceutical companies have a huge vested interest in keeping drugs illegal and we pay them thrice for it, once for the drugs they sell us, twice to lock up those who use them illegally and thrice to pay huge salaries to mostly degenerate uneducated prison guards who earn more than most teachers and scientists with Master's and Doctoral degrees.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1234604916]I just don't get how Califorina's budget has gotten all out of wack when other states (all-be-it smaller) can run effectively at a considerably lower cost structure? I mean it's bad enough that we have one of the highest state income taxes in the US, but also dealing with one of the highest gas taxes and sales taxes just pours salt into the wound. Is it that we demanded so many services and weren't willing to pay for them? Or is Prop 13 the real issue here?</blockquote>

Voters make bad legislators. Voters have used the California imitative process to make legislation for thirty years, and are just now paying the price for their mistakes.

Prop 13 is the keystone voter imitative that caused the problems we are addressing now. Hell, in a big way, it helped blow up the property bubble by keeping an artificial cap on property taxes. Awgee talks about his mom getting forced out of her condo. We could have fixed that problem the same way that Georgia did - allows somebody to homestead their taxes and cap them once they reach 55, but let the rate float on everyone else so that taxes reflect market conditions. However, they are not without their own issues.

<a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29167886/">http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29167886/</a>

<blockquote>Lawmakers who have unsuccessfully sought a freeze for the last four years said it would help lower taxes on homeowners while preventing local governments from raising revenues through a "back door."

"We will slam shut the process of backdoor tax increases once and for all that have made property taxes the most hated form of taxes to our constituents," said Republican state Rep. Ed Lindsey, the measure's sponsor. "That means we'll have a more open, responsible and accountable local government that has to look the taxpayer in the eye when it wants more revenue."

He and his supporters faced fierce criticism from opponents who say slowing the growth of property taxes could deprive local governments of revenue to support crucial services like police protection and education.

"This has nothing to do with backdoor taxes," said state Rep. Calvin Smyre, D-Columbus. "What this really will do is strangle and cripple our local governments. And every one of you in here knows that."</blockquote>

The quoted part of the argument is the issue State legislatures face everywhere in the Universe.

Unlike some people who want to cut waste or others who want to blindly raise taxes, I just want them to stop running a deficit. I don't have any preference how they do so. I have an opinion on what they should do, but that's a matter of style.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1234851295]

Did you read the LAT article I posted? Looks like you'll get the prison guard overtime problem solved in three years. They are going to let out 60K, or else the Feds are going to stick us with a FAT bill to house them that will blow away what we are currently spending. The article you cited correctly shows the cost increases as wages paid to prison staff. It's easy to blame the unions, but somebody is making the schedules to keep prision guards there with about 20 hours of OT a week who isnt' a union member. Why are they scheduling all that OT that is blowing up the costs to watch these guys?</blockquote>

Yes I read the link but nowhere does it explain why does it cost nearly $10,000 a year in healthcare cost per inmate. Healthcare cost per person in the US is about $4,000, 60% less. That is a great example of how wasteful and inefficent the state government system is across the board, in every department. The union is a big piece of the problem, so are all the incompetence state workers and administrators.

So what is the solution? How about re-engineering the government to cut out the fat and establishing a hard spending cap to force the state to live within their means. That's only way to control the free-spending legislatures to not spend what they don't have. Even with all the voters' demands as you pointed out, by running a lean government that doesn't reward undeserved union contracts/pensions and fat administrator staffing and 14 holidays per year and on and on and on, we wouldn't have the budget deficit that we have now. The right approach is to cut cost, not drastically raising taxes to push the economy into an even deeper recession.

[quote author="waiting2buylater" date=1234514335][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1234442794]So it looks like the State Legislator will pass the following measures for the State's budget shortfall:

1. Sales Tax increase of 1%

2. State Income tax income across every tax bracket

3. Doubling of car registration fees

4. Increase in gas tax

If I can land a job in Vegas, I'm out of here for a while.</blockquote>

We are #1.......Highest income tax rate in the nation. Highest state sales tax in the nation. Highest gasoline tax in the nation. One of the highest business taxes in the nation. This was before the latest hike.

CA as one of the highest taxed states in the nation still has a $40 Billion Deficit. Incredible!!!</blockquote>

we do not have the highest gas tax in the country... I forget the exact number, but something like 13 other states are higher.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1234855468]we do not have the highest gas tax in the country... I forget the exact number, but something like 13 other states are higher.</blockquote>
Actually, California is third behind New York and Washington when all taxes paid at the pump are included.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1234855468]

we do not have the highest gas tax in the country... I forget the exact number, but something like 13 other states are higher.</blockquote>

Oops, we are third in the country at $0.537 per gallon for State and Federal. New York at $0.597 is #1 and Washington at $.559 is #2 (note that WA has no State income Tax). Federal gas tax is the same for all at $0.184 per gallon.

See the following link for a complete list:

<a href="http://www.api.org/statistics/fueltaxes/upload/GASMAPJAN2009.pdf">GasTaxMap</a>

[quote author="waiting2buylater" date=1234857969][quote author="stepping_up" date=1234855468]

we do not have the highest gas tax in the country... I forget the exact number, but something like 13 other states are higher.</blockquote>

Oops, we are third in the country at $0.537 per gallon for State and Federal. New York at $0.597 is #1 and Washington at $.559 is #2 (note that WA has no State income Tax). Federal gas tax is the same for all at $0.184 per gallon.

See the following link for a complete list:

<a href="http://www.api.org/statistics/fueltaxes/upload/GASMAPJAN2009.pdf">GasTaxMap</a></blockquote>

I tried to do a bit more research, whereas it seems you went with the easy answer.

the CA state excise tax on a gallon of gas is 18c, plus a 1.2c fee. this is in line with the national average of 17.4c/gal.

the real kicker is the sales tax, since this varies with the price of gasoline. add 8%, so if gas is $5/gallon, that is 40c. presently it is ~16c @$2/gallon.

6 states don't charge sales tax on gasoline.

Is this what you are proposing?

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1234865054]

the CA state excise tax on a gallon of gas is 18c, plus a 1.2c fee. this is in line with the national average of 17.4c/gal.

the real kicker is the sales tax, since this varies with the price of gasoline. add 8%, so if gas is $5/gallon, that is 40c. presently it is ~16c @$2/gallon.

6 states don't charge sales tax on gasoline.

Is this what you are proposing?</blockquote>

Is the gas tax 19.2c? The word games are disingenious, and I don't mean you, I mean in the general tax discussion. I'm tired of it being 'fees' and pretending it isn't taxes and trying to 'raise revenues' when they mean INCREASE TAXES.

In the mean time, if you consider 10% above national average being in line with national average that's a different story.

Or perhaps we can dicuss the 1 cent tax increase on sales. An approximately 14% increase in state sales tax.

[quote author="waiting2buylater" date=1234854898]

Yes I read the link but nowhere does it explain why does it cost nearly $10,000 a year in healthcare cost per inmate. Healthcare cost per person in the US is about $4,000, 60% less. That is a great example of how wasteful and inefficent the state government system is across the board, in every department. The union is a big piece of the problem, so are all the incompetence state workers and administrators. </blockquote>

The union is no piece of the problem. The Federal Decree to fix the inadequate level of care of prisoners is.

<a href="http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/12/local/me-prisons12">http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/12/local/me-prisons12</a>

<blockquote>In a proposal that would nearly double the state?s prison construction program, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger?s administration asked lawmakers Friday to approve $7 billion in new spending to bring medical and mental healthcare in California prisons<u><em><strong> up to constitutional standards</strong></em></u>.</blockquote>

But why are they doing that?

<blockquote>But Donald Specter of the Prison Law Office, a nonprofit advocacy organization for inmates, said the need for new spending is mainly a result of the state?s decision to keep thousands of ill inmates incarcerated when they could safely be released.

?<u><em><strong>It?s very expensive to provide even minimally adequate care in prisons</strong></em></u>,? said Specter, whose group launched a federal lawsuit that led to the creation of the receivership.

?This is essentially building new prisons,? he said, ?but the care itself has to be improved in the existing prisons, and this is not the end of their requests for money to improve their care.? </blockquote>

Wow! Look at that! Lock 'em up and throw away the key - THEN bitch about the price! What legislator came up with that one?

<blockquote>So what is the solution? </blockquote>

For starters, stop making scapegoat laden arguments, do a Google search, and get some command of the material. .

<a href="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ei=NjuaSYDTIIr2sAPtsMiEAQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=California+prison+health+care+costs&spell=1">CA Prison Health Care Costs Google Search</a>

<blockquote>How about re-engineering the government to cut out the fat and establishing a hard spending cap to force the state to live within their means.</blockquote>

Between the Feds and their consent decrees and the Voters using the imitative process to mandate spending, that one is destined to fail before it starts.

<blockquote> That's only way to control the free-spending legislatures to not spend what they don't have.</blockquote>

You are entitled to your opinion, but your opinion is wrong. I have exhaustively documented how and why. You continue to point out issues that you either don't understand or choose to ignore because it doesn't fit with your ideology of "blame the legislature". Further, your lack of command of the subject material is disturbing, but pretty standard for the voting public aka ?sheep?.

<blockquote>Even with all the voters' demands as you pointed out, by running a lean government that doesn't reward undeserved union contracts/pensions and fat administrator staffing and 14 holidays per year and on and on and on, we wouldn't have the budget deficit that we have now. The right approach is to cut cost, not drastically raising taxes to push the economy into an even deeper recession. </blockquote>

If they hadn't drastically slashed taxes in 1977 I submit this conversation would be moot.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1234874569][quote author="waiting2buylater" date=1234854898]

Yes I read the link but nowhere does it explain why does it cost nearly $10,000 a year in healthcare cost per inmate. Healthcare cost per person in the US is about $4,000, 60% less. That is a great example of how wasteful and inefficent the state government system is across the board, in every department. The union is a big piece of the problem, so are all the incompetence state workers and administrators. </blockquote>

The union is no piece of the problem. The Federal Decree to fix the inadequate level of care of prisoners is.

<a href="http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/12/local/me-prisons12">http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/12/local/me-prisons12</a>

</blockquote>

The $10,000 healthcare cost per prisoner is before the proposed increase. After the increase we probably would be looking at $20,000 or more per prisoner. The question should be why does it cost 2.5 times more than average at this time and still have inadequate healthcare for prisoners. It's because of the built-in excessive salaries/pensions and the incompetence administrators/system.

If you're saying it's not a union problem or a systematic problem then you're just denying the obvious. Some of what you're saying above might be true but going to the tax payers first is just obscene. The broken system should be fixed first.

We're not going anywhere with this conversation and I have stated my piece so it's time for me to move on onto something else more productive.

Back