Potential damage to concrete block wall

irvine buyer

Due to the slope on our street, our neighbor on one side has a soil level that is 12"-18" higher than ours.  They have planters on pretty much the entire length of the concrete block wall that we share.  I've begun noticing that the bottom 12" of the block wall on my side is constantly wet and parts of the wet wall are emitting this whitish residue that reminds me of efflorescence.

I'm guessing that the problem is caused by wet soil in their planter permeating the block wall. 
Their landscape contractor installed sprinklers instead of drip irrigation and I've been told by my landscaper that turning back the amount of time the sprinklers go on won't eliminate the problem.  The only way to eliminate this is to retrofit the sprinklers in the planter to a drip system.

Any thoughts as to how to approach this with the neighbor or should I direct the issue to the HOA manager? My concern is that over time, the moisture will damage the concrete block wall.

It is efflorescence. The wall gets wet and as the water evaporates the minerals/salt are left behind. Not sure you can actually do anything other than just asking your neighbors to adjust the time of the watering. I doubt they will switch out the sprinkler system

Back