Portola Springs - Las Colinas

OCMommy

Ok now that I have seen Stonegate, the first new SFRs that I have liked in a long time, I find myself reconsidering Portola Springs Las Colinas.  In both cases, I think the product is overpriced, but we are starting to believe that prices in Irvine will remain flat.  We might be ready to pull the trigger.

I was one to think Portola is way out there, but now that we are considering Stonegate, it is really way out there?  Also with Lambert Ranch coming will Portola command a premium at some point.

What do you all think of Las Colinas versus Stonegate Maricopa?  I prefer the floor plans of Las Colinas but the location of Stonegate, do not like the price in both cases.  I am intersted in hearing what you all think.

Also, anyone have any specifics on mello roos, HOA in the Portola Springs area?

OCMommy said:
Ok now that I have seen Stonegate, the first new SFRs that I have liked in a long time, I find myself reconsidering Portola Springs Las Colinas.  In both cases, I think the product is overpriced, but we are starting to believe that prices in Irvine will remain flat.  We might be ready to pull the trigger.

I was one to think Portola is way out there, but now that we are considering Stonegate, it is really way out there?  Also with Lambert Ranch coming will Portola command a premium at some point.

What do you all think of Las Colinas versus Stonegate Maricopa?  I prefer the floor plans of Las Colinas but the location of Stonegate, do not like the price in both cases.  I am intersted in hearing what you all think.

Also, anyone have any specifics on mello roos, HOA in the Portola Springs area?
I believe the price per SF is lower for the Las Colinas homes versus Maricopa.  Portola Springs doesn't seem as dense as Stonegate and Woodbury to me.  The Portola Springs HOA is $160/mo and the Mello Roos is slightly higher in Portola than it is in Stonegate.  Portola is less than a mile away from Portola Springs.  I really believe that out of any of the new villages, Portola Springs is the one that has the highest probability of future appreciation (especially once it is built out with schools and the shopping center).  Also, Taylor Morrison is offering a broker co-op which you can split with your agent.  Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to buy.

I like the Los Colinas floor plans... but the prices are too high.

They are the only new homes in TIC-land with 3-car garages (although tandem).

Went back to see these today.  They are having open houses on the phases that are almost built out but have not sold.  The area is dead.  After seeing Las Ventanas, we really think thee are too overpriced.

A little more blood in the water...TM increased its broker co-op from 2% to 3% for Las Colinas (I got the email from them yesterday around 5pm). 

Every time I go to see homes in portola .......for some reason I never see any people around... To me it seems a little bit too quite. On the plus side I do love the floor plan of las colinas:)

We really like Las Colinas Plan 1, but are undecided about Portola Springs.  I wonder if in a few years after Lambert Ranch is built, etc if Portola will be hot?  I agree that every time we go to see the models, we are the ONLY people there.  Interesting that they are not dropping the price at all.

OCMommy said:
We really like Las Colinas Plan 1, but are undecided about Portola Springs.  I wonder if in a few years after Lambert Ranch is built, etc if Portola will be hot?  I agree that every time we go to see the models, we are the ONLY people there.  Interesting that they are not dropping the price at all.
As I mentioned before, the price will be the LAST thing that the builder does to move their unsold homes.  They'll offer up a broker co-op and huge buyer incentives (credits for closing costs, upgrades, and even landscaping) before they resort to dropping prices as dropping the price will negatively effect their appraisals for all future sales (appraisers don't see in the broker co-op and credits for closings costs/upgrades/landscaping in the closing price comps).  That being said, they will be more likely to drop the prices of standing inventory (completed but unsold homes). 

Went to Las Colinas?s open house today.  They haven?t moved one house since we last visited them five months ago.  The only family we saw at the open house was from the neighborhood. A broker friend told us that PS is not recommended and word amongst her peers is PS will not appreciate as fast compared to other Irvine villages. (when ever that will happen?)
We really like their floor plans compared to IPAC.  And TyMo is one of the better builders.  Why aren?t they selling any of these homes?  Price? Location?

Price and location.

PS doesn't have it's own 3rd place yet which contributes to the slowness... and because TIC opened up Stonegate which is closer, that draws more people.

I like the Los Colinas floorplans and they redesigned Plan 1 nicely by adding a 1st floor bedroom and an upstairs Master's retreat.

The fact that the jumbo conforming loan limit was reduced hasn't helped move these $1m+ homes.  The sweet spot for homes in Irvine currently is $500k to $800k. 

We SERIOUSLY considered this house.  The inside is beautiful except the carpet upstairs.  The kitchen, hardwood, lot size and location are excellent.  We did not pull the trigger because it was Portola Springs (not enough going on in the area for now, but I am sure it will be great in the future) and we hated the facade of the house.  We saw it more than once in different lights and the kicker was when we went up on a Friday before sunset, it was just too dark.  The neighborhood is beautiful and I think there is a lot of long term potential in this house and area.  It just wasnt the right house for us.

Back