Portola High - more testing hearing

IrvineRes88 said:
Portola High more testing hearing http://www.ocregister.com/articles/site-709358-soil-testing.html

To me BP already comes with stigma, God forbid what happens if some staff or student is diagnosed with cancer couple of years down the line,  all hell break loose? More testing? more confusion? more clarification? residents exodus? property value decline? Too much drama, not sure I want to live there & be a part of the continue saga.

You're one sneaky troll.  If you hate Irvine so much, why do you live here and why do you frequent TI so much?  Do you have anything positive to say about Irvine?  After all, you did move BACK after being away for 5 years. 

gasman said:
Jesus Cristo...just move to Baker Ranch already.

yeah seriously, if you're unsure about the health safety of the area and think there are risk-- plus all those negatives of Irvine, why not just move? some forum members do seem to do actively do that.

I might be in the minority, but when I read that article, I actually felt better about the school vs. worse.  They will test and retest and test every 5 years just in case they missed something and realistically, we are almost 20 years removed from any pollution being on the site to begin with...and that was pre clean-up, etc).  It certainly would appear they are being more than conservative with the potential risks associated with it and I hope (for the sake of the city, etc...and no I don't live in an area that will be zoned to this school so I don't have any skin in the game) the upcoming rounds of tests further confirm the previous tests.

Bullsback said:
I might be in the minority, but when I read that article, I actually felt better about the school vs. worse.  They will test and retest and test every 5 years just in case they missed something and realistically, we are almost 20 years removed from any pollution being on the site to begin with...and that was pre clean-up, etc).  It certainly would appear they are being more than conservative with the potential risks associated with it and I hope (for the sake of the city, etc...and no I don't live in an area that will be zoned to this school so I don't have any skin in the game) the upcoming rounds of tests further confirm the previous tests.

yeah the article didn't necessary present the situation in anymore of a negative light.

I think in general people are just distrusting of local/state officials. plus even though there are myriad of publicly available report, i dont think most ppl have the will/time to educate themselves and get comfortable too. I skim them and its sure as hell beyond me.

Bullsback said:

It sure sounds like IUSD is comfortable with the test results, but are taking extra precautions for the sake of transparency and to ease residents' concerns.  I think it's the right move on their part, since perception will move the needle more than actuality.

You just can't win with some people.  They tested, people don't trust the results and pushed for more testing. 

Now more testing is happening and the spin is, OMG WHAT'S WRONG... why are they retesting?
Or well, it doesn't matter if they retest, the results can't be trusted regardless.

bones said:
You just can't win with some people.  They tested, people don't trust the results and pushed for more testing. 

Now more testing is happening and the spin is, OMG WHAT'S WRONG... why are they retesting?
Or well, it doesn't matter if they retest, the results can't be trusted regardless.

exactly.

officials: "here are the test results. everything looks good."

residents: "uhhhh we don't believe you. do another test."

officials: "okay the updated test still looks good. here are the results. available publicly as required by law."

residents: "we dont understand the reports.."

officials: "well its basically saying everything is peachy"

residents: "we dont believe you!"

at some point we have to trust someone is competent. whether the officials or the third party experts.

capboba said:
bones said:

exactly.

officials: "okay the updated test still looks good. here are the results. available publicly as required by law."

at some point we have to trust someone is competent. whether the officials or the third party experts.

Part of the problem might be that IUSD is overseeing the administration of the testing, who is a perceived as a bias stakeholder.  It's akin to the NFL conducting their own research on concussions or the SEC doing their own research on insider trading.  Maybe a completely independent party needs to take over.

paydawg said:
capboba said:
bones said:

exactly.

Part of the problem might be that IUSD is overseeing the administration of the testing, who is a perceived as a bias stakeholder.  It's akin to the NFL conducting their own research on concussions or the SEC doing their own research on insider trading.  Maybe a completely independent party needs to take over.
Am I mistaken or isn't the tester that they hired this time essentially fully neutral (no involvement with the school, etc). 

Generally speaking, were the tests done on the soil done by 5 Points or TIC in Irvine?  Or was it an independent party that has no skin in the game do the sampling throughout Irvine?

Bullsback said:
paydawg said:
capboba said:
bones said:

exactly.

Am I mistaken or isn't the tester that they hired this time essentially fully neutral (no involvement with the school, etc).

yep its what the article says.

akkord said:
Generally speaking, were the tests done on the soil done by 5 Points or TIC in Irvine?  Or was it an independent party that has no skin in the game do the sampling throughout Irvine?
Yeah... how do we know there isn't some sample switching shenanigans going on.

#SoilPEDs

irvinehomeowner said:
akkord said:
Yeah... how do we know there isn't some sample switching shenanigans going on.

#SoilPEDs

Or $$$ changing hands...

I've seen enough OJ TV to know IPD is switching the "stained" soil for clean dirt. It's all a conspiracy  :)

Back