Portable Basketball Hoops In Street

fumbling_IHB

Just curious, what do people think of the portable basketball hoops that are set on the sidewalk or on the street, that seem to be on every other street in most cities? Are there many of these in Irvine? I almost ran into one at night that was placed in the street where a car would normally be, and the basketball pole was black like the night and I didn't see it until the last second when I swerved to avoid it. It seems to be a public easement violation or safety violation. Do the cops make the homeowner put it away on their property if someone complains? It seems to be a serious safety issue for drivers and kids, and because the orientation of the hoops causes kids to play in the street.

I have seen one in a friend's neighborhood. But this particular one has a neon base that looks like a kid. Like Marty I really don't care about it. But of course, I would hate for my car to park next to one and have the ball bounce off the hood.

I don't like having them in the street because it's a safety issue for kids/drivers as well as an eyesore. Isn't this why we pay extra money every month (HOA/mello roos) for all the parks and rec facilities in Irvine?? The sound of a bouncing basketball in front of my house is not my idea of peace and quiet. Also, I'd be pissed if I get scratches/dents on my car from a basketball. All this can be easily avoided if everyone uses the park for these activities.

Please use the nearby parks for sports. Thanks :)

Where I grew up, nearly every house had a basketball hoop installed on top of their garage. Playin' ball was an almost daily affair. These days, the more I see kids active and social versus sittin on their lazy a$$ playing Wii and Playstation, the better. I don't mind them, as long as the parents keep them wheeled into their driveway. If they were out against the sidewalk 24/7 then I'd have a problem with that.

<p>It depends.</p>

<p>Granted, this is coming from the perspective of the guy whose neighbor unleashes her grandkids on the courtyard with pogo sticks, skateboards, razor scooters with plastic jump ramps and portable grinding rail regularly. I'm currently enjoying a lull, I think mom & dad have quit dropping them off for a while with the cooler weather o rmaybe it's school.</p>

<p>The operative word is regularly. I find the basketball hoops slightly tacky if they're left neglected and unattended. Much like leaving a trash can sitting on the curb for three days. Pull it out, put it away. It's not a permenant fixture to the front yard. If you wheel it out for an afternoon or evening cool. Still out the next day, that's fine too. Still there a week later and it's sprouting roots, not cool.</p>

<p>As for the noise, nuisance and hazards of having the kids with the basketball hoop, in moderation it's fine. When it becomes 4, 5, 6 or more times a week or is a chronic 5-7 PM every evening. Not good. When it's right in front of my house because you want your kids out of your hair and you're not paying attention, not cool.</p>

<p>The kids need to play. The adults need to be tolerant. The parents need to engage their brain and realize the common courtyard sidewalk or side of the street isn't the place for pogo sticks, skateboard jumps or basketball hoops except for an irregular 15-30 minutes. Especially when the basketball court is on said street and the community park is one block away.</p>

<p>That's true. Tolerance has it's limit. I visited that friend this evening. And that portable basketball hoop is still there after weeks on end I was told. It seems like a permanent fixture now. Hahaha.</p>

<p>It all boils down to courtesy to your neighbors. I am sure the neighbors didn't mind the contraption initially. But to leave it out as if it's a permanent structure. That's downright inconsiderate. </p>

<p>And what I don't get is. As I drive down the street with the right of way. Yet, these parents and kids give me the dirty looks b/c I interupted their "illegal" games on public streets.</p>

<p>I grew up with a basketball backboard attached to the house above the garage and played in my driveway. After my incident I start noticing these hoops blocking sidewalks and out in the street where the ball can fall on other people's cars in just about every residential neighborhood, and they're heavy, so as a practical matter I don't think anyone moves them for years. I even see some with bricks and sandbags on top of the base and I know they're set out more or less permanently. I've seen one placed in the street on a corner that is just asking for a car to hit it. They're eyesores especially the ones with the nets half ripped or with no nets with the sandbags. At least kids playing in the driveway are limited to staying on their property, kids playing in the street more or less take over the street and if they played into the night especially now with the daylight getting less it's a serious safety issue especially with my eyes not as good at night as before. I'd hate to live next to a house that had one of these, they also take up a couple of parking spots since you wouldn't even want to park near them with the chance of a basketball size dent. Do you notice a lot of these "illegal" eyesores in Irvine or is it mostly the other cities that have this problem? If I moved to Irvine and a neighbor put one out like that would the police or city do anything about it?</p>

<p>When we were looking to buy a house, I wouldn't even consider the neighborhood if I saw basketball hoops in the streets. I passed on some good houses too.</p>

<p>For some reason, they REALLY bother me. </p>

In my neighborhood, I hardly see any of the portable basketball hoops, none in my street, and the only one I know of is on a cul-de-sac on another street. I'm sure if you complain and write nastigrams to the HOA, they would send letters out to the homeowners. We also have street cleanings twice a month and they ticket and tow if you're a repeat offender.

<p>fumbling, </p>

<p>I saw 2 of these contraption on one street. I would say they might be more common in Irvine since most homes don't even have driveways </p>

Back