Poll: New WB home collection II

I wanted to create another quick poll, in addendum to Kayochan's poll this morning... we have a good idea of how many people are planning to buy the 2010 collection, but how many people are planning to buy before, wait longer, buy the 2010 collection or stick to their desired resale, or still have not idea where they are going to buy if they buy in 2010 or even later...

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1258339306]The New Home Collection is not leaps and bound from products from a few years ago. Other than the covered patio Oops California Room which can installed for about $5k the products IMO have not been improved from the previous generation of housing.

Buying a resale has more negotiating room vs buying new from a builder.

Here are some ideas that would be leaps and bound: bigger yard and smaller efficient houses, 3 car wide garage, solar roofs, single story house, dual masters one up and one down, no HOA, 8' Virginia Room across the front, symmetry with door at the center, mixing in wood and shingle cottages in the neighborhoods, curvilinear streets, and dedicated guests parking stalls like the model homes. These are simple solutions not requiring sophisticated design skills.</blockquote>

all ideal desirable things; however i think that most of those things (big footprint single levels or first floor masters, 3 car garages, porches, balanced architecture, landscaped streetscapes, etc) would require the icdc to give out more generous homesites to the homebuyer and that won't happen without a big premium price point adequate enough (in their eyes) to compensate the irvine company for the extra land.

even if you take a look at the land lyon bought from the school district they paid 2mm per acre which will work out to around 270k per raw lot add to this like 100k per lot for demo/engg/improvements/fees/etc. all said and done after you build the home and add a reasonable profit in the finished homes will start in the 800s minimum if not 900s-1mm+ on small lots. those will be infill sites and the mello roos may not be that high.

Roundcorners, where is the option that says this.

> Yes, I will buy something in the 2010 collection, when Irvine's inventory is over 1500, mortgage rates are above 10%, and employment in Irvine reaches 15%.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1258339306]The New Home Collection is not leaps and bound from products from a few years ago. Other than the covered patio Oops California Room which can installed for about $5k the products IMO have not been improved from the previous generation of housing.

Here are some ideas that would be leaps and bound: bigger yard and smaller efficient houses, 3 car wide garage, solar roofs, single story house, dual masters one up and one down, no HOA, 8' Virginia Room across the front, symmetry with door at the center, mixing in wood and shingle cottages in the neighborhoods, curvilinear streets, and dedicated guests parking stalls like the model homes. These are simple solutions not requiring sophisticated design skills.</blockquote>

so... these are NOT going to be the "ipods" of housing? It only takes about a week for the TIC illusion to wear off... huh? I guess that is how it feels when you finally move in your new TIC construction... after a week, all that magic wears off... you suddenly realize that you bought something you don't need, to impress people you don't like or know, with money you don't have... (how's this post for #800!!)

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1258370861][quote author="bkshopr" date=1258339306]The New Home Collection is not leaps and bound from products from a few years ago. Other than the covered patio Oops California Room which can installed for about $5k the products IMO have not been improved from the previous generation of housing.

so... these are NOT going to be the "ipods" of housing? It only takes about a week for the TIC illusion to wear off... huh? I guess that is how it feels when you finally move in your new TIC construction... after a week, all that magic wears off... you suddenly realize that you bought something you don't need, to impress people you don't like or know, with money you don't have... (how's this post for #800!!)</blockquote>

You just described a majority of the population. Hope to read another good post by #888.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1258370861][quote author="bkshopr" date=1258339306]The New Home Collection is not leaps and bound from products from a few years ago. Other than the covered patio Oops California Room which can installed for about $5k the products IMO have not been improved from the previous generation of housing.

so... these are NOT going to be the "ipods" of housing? It only takes about a week for the TIC illusion to wear off... huh? I guess that is how it feels when you finally move in your new TIC construction... after a week, all that magic wears off... you suddenly realize that you bought something you don't need, to impress people you don't like or know, with money you don't have... (how's this post for #800!!)</blockquote>

The student is learning from the master, Bk.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1258461126]how can you have a dual master one up and one down in a single story home?</blockquote>

I was not talking about all of the above features in one house.

I thought about that after I posted, but then I thought maybe BK in his pursuit of describing the ideal home had some vision that I couldn't envision. A comfortable 3/2 can be done single sq/story at around 1,500 sq/t. Add in the garage and driveway and even a 4,000 sq/ft lot is small, especially if you really want to have some exterior space to entertain or relax plus have your own plot of nature. Lots should be bigger, even if it's just to give you some space from your neighbors.

Back