Pointers for Apartment Search

[quote author="The_Maestro" date=1252451680]I guess most people don't realize you can use TIC's info center and save yourself the hassle of doing all this research on your own. It's great if you are just starting out and don't already have knowledge of TIC's apartments.

<a href="http://www.rental-living.com/InfoCenter/">TIC Info Center</a></blockquote>

I've been there before, but the environment, atmosphere, public amenities and ease of access are things I can't pick up from an apt finding center :)

Update: I'm getting followup calls with rent being $50-75 cheaper than when I first went in. As long as you keep the negotiation going and dont make them feel like they lost the chance to close the deal, I think they will keep following up with sweeter deals.

[quote author="buylowsellhigh" date=1252734812]Update: I'm getting followup calls with rent being $50-75 cheaper than when I first went in. As long as you keep the negotiation going and dont make them feel like they lost the chance to close the deal, I think they will keep following up with sweeter deals.</blockquote>

Which places are giving you followup calls offering cheaper rent? My wife and I visited a lot of the same places you listed but nobody's been offering cheaper rent from what they quoted last weekend. Maybe it's because we're not looking to move until mid October? I did notice that all of the apartments that are available right now have a lot more incentives than the ones on notice.

[quote author="buylowsellhigh" date=1252734812]Update: I'm getting followup calls with rent being $50-75 cheaper than when I first went in. As long as you keep the negotiation going and dont make them feel like they lost the chance to close the deal, I think they will keep following up with sweeter deals.</blockquote>
Are those prices even cheaper than the advertised prices on craigslist and/or their website? Do they know that you are within a few weeks of possibly moving in?

I didn't check craigslist... it was way cluttered. Plus they are probably offering gimmicks, for undesirable locations.

I did let them know i'm close to deciding but the followup calls have started thinning out because i'm basically stringing them along, lol.

[quote author="hedgehog" date=1252318118]Kind of OT, but what is the best way to find homes (not apartments) for rent?

So far, I've found that realtor.com has a lot of listings, but that site is such a pain to use.

I'm surprised that no one has done a redfin-like site for rentals.</blockquote>

Somebody here (I forget who, unfortuantly) recommended hotpads.com. Looks pretty good.

Back