Pocket door for master bath?

irvinetabby

Our new home's master bath does not come with a door. The only upgrade option for a door is a pocket door for $1800.

I can't decided if we should get it... On one hand, it seems almost indispensable when one person needs to turn on the light and shower while the other is still in bed. On the other hand, I've witnessed how loud some of these pocket doors can be when rolled, which defeats the purpose of trying not wake the other person up.

Anyone had experience with IP installed pocket doors? Is it really loud?

Thanks!

Pretty soon IP homes won't come with windows and the design center will say "oh you mean you want glass to fill those holes in your home that let the natural light in?  $5k please."

Welcome to the 1970's hahah it blows me away that home builders are still using pocket doors in 2016. In my opinion it's a crappy design they end up coming off the track or they rub over time plus not very good at keeping noise out. I guess if it's your only option short of reframing for a real door go for it. Or put in some bead curtains hahah.

I would suggest barn doors too but you need the open wall space (which pocket doors don't).

Since it's master bath and you are looking to mostly block light, a really inexpensive DIY would be a curtain rod and drape.

Thanks guys. Actually I need the door to block out noise too, as running water/electric shaver...etc can be fairly loud.

I love the look of the barn door! Thanks for the suggestion. Since it doesn't sit flush against the walll, is it good at blocking out noise?

irvinetabby said:
Thanks guys. Actually I need the door to block out noise too, as running water/electric shaver...etc can be fairly loud.

I love the look of the barn door! Thanks for the suggestion. Since it doesn't sit flush against the walll, is it good at blocking out noise?

To me the noise describe is minimal. (Running water l, electric shaver)

irvinetabby said:

You probably would not get anything extra for that door when you sell your home. (It's nice, but you can live without it.)

It's not about getting the money back when you sell. It's about the convenience and enjoying the home while you are there.

If you want noise and light reduction and are going to spend the money on a barn door, might as well just frame out a regular door or French doors.

bones said:
If you want noise and light reduction and are going to spend the money on a barn door, might as well just frame out a regular door or French doors.

Yeah a regular swing door would be ideal, but the layout doesn't allow it.

Past experience proved that we do need a door there. Our current condo doesn't have a door, and one of us is frequently brushing teeth in the tiny closet that hosts the toilet, because there is a door there...

qwerty said:
It's not about getting the money back when you sell. It's about the convenience and enjoying the home while you are there.

I'm sure some people would like to know, the roi of the potential upgrade. If it's not about money back, maybe you should donate your realized gains when you sell your house.

eyephone said:
qwerty said:
I'm sure some people would like to know, the roi of the potential upgrade. If it's not about money back, maybe you should donate your realized gains when you sell your house.
Let me guess. You buy the 10yr/125k mi used Corolla, roll up windows and drive it 7 more yrs. this is best Roi. If not, please donate the realized gains.

pisa said:
eyephone said:
qwerty said:
Let me guess. You buy the 10yr/125k mi used Corolla, roll up windows and drive it 7 more yrs. this is best Roi. If not, please donate the realized gains.

Look I don't know what you are trying to say.

The scenario you described regarding the used car will most likely be a realized loss. (capital loss)

eyephone said:
qwerty said:

You know it's incredibly hard to figure any kind of ROI on anything you do to your house. I am just saying you should upgrade your house and utilize your house however you want to to ensure you enjoy it. You won't enjoy it as much if you are always concerned about ROI or what a buyer at resale is going to think. 

When we put in new wood floors last summer. I didn't care about ROI. All I cared about is that I would no longer have dirty grout lines that my wife would compare about. We just put in three closet organization systems in three secondary bedrooms, not once did ROI come up, we just wanted the closets to be more functional.

Give away realized gains? Now you are just being funny. You make your money when you buy the house, not based on what upgrades you put into it. The money I made on this house is because I bought in the summer of 2012. Not because we redid the floors or the master bath or closets, etc.

irvinetabby said:
bones said:

Past experience proved that we do need a door there. Our current condo doesn't have a door, and one of us is frequently brushing teeth in the tiny closet that hosts the toilet, because there is a door there...
Brush the teeth downstairs or in another room on those days where you are up early? 

qwerty said:

+1

Many of upgrades we put in our new home are for our own usage and even if we don't recuperate the cost of these upgrades when we sell, no biggie, since we going to get a good use out of it for years to come.

Bullsback said:
irvinetabby said:
bones said:

Brush the teeth downstairs or in another room on those days where you are up early?

I would MUCH rather brush my teach downstairs than within inches of the toilet, in a "closet" with minimal ventilation.   

irvinetabby said:
Our new home's master bath does not come with a door. The only upgrade option for a door is a pocket door for $1800.

I can't decided if we should get it... On one hand, it seems almost indispensable when one person needs to turn on the light and shower while the other is still in bed. On the other hand, I've witnessed how loud some of these pocket doors can be when rolled, which defeats the purpose of trying not wake the other person up.

Anyone had experience with IP installed pocket doors? Is it really loud?

Thanks!

Can you bring in your own contractor to refit a standard door?

paydawg said:
I would MUCH rather brush my teach downstairs than within inches of the toilet, in a "closet" with minimal ventilation.   
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/fecal-matter-on-toothbrush/

Toothbrush Fecal Matter

As seen in "MythBusters: Breakstep Bridge"

Finding: CONFIRMED

Explanation: Every time you flush a toilet, it releases an aerosol spray of tiny tainted water droplets. So if, like many people, you leave your toothbrush in the vicinity of a toilet, does that mean it's regularly bathed in bits of fecal matter? MythBusters Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage uncovered the dirty truth to this myth by covering a bathroom with 24 toothbrushes, two of which they brushed with each morning ? the others they simply rinsed every day for a month.

As experimental controls, the MythBusters kept two untainted toothbrushes in an office far away from the lavatory. At the end of the month-long trial, they sent their toothbrush collection to a microbiologist for bacterial testing.

Astonishingly, all the toothbrushes were speckled with microscopic fecal matter, including the ones that had never seen the inside of a bathroom. The confirmed myth unfortunately proved that there's indeed fecal matter on toothbrushes ? and also everywhere else.

Back