Plea for assistance

All,

I know we haven't talked much about the state budget, and regardless of how you feel the budget ought to look, there are casualties arising from the delay. One of those casualties is a shelter for women and children who are victims of domestic violence and human trafficking. Although the shelter had a couple months' reserves on which to operate, their well is running dry.** For the DV victims, this is a particularly bitter pill because without a place to stay, they may have to return to their abusers - and it's often damn hard to get them away from their abusers in the first place.

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/wtlc-orange-victims-2158567-shelter-donations">From the OC Register:</a>

<blockquote>

The Women's Transitional Living Center, based in North Orange County and headquartered in Orange, has raised $70,000 in the past week after learning its doors could shut if $97,000 isn't raised by Sept. 23.

More than 100 women and children who are victims of domestic violence and human trafficking will face displacement from the county's largest domestic violence shelter if the goal isn't met, WTLC Executive Director Rocio Watson said.

The center has been caught in the state budget stalemate, costing the agency $300,000 in cuts from government grants and 19 staff layoffs, Watson said.

. . .

The group decided to make a public appeal for tax-deductible donations directly to the Web site ? www.wtlc.org ? or mail a check payable to WTLC, P.O. Box 6103, Orange, 92863.

</blockquote>

I have sent a check and I would humbly ask for your assistance as well. Thanks in advance.

**As a nonprofit, they can't keep too much in reserve.

IHBer's... EvaL is right, it is time to step up. Do what you can. I wish I were in the circumstance to do a match, but I will see what I can do. Politics aside, this is about doing what is right for what anyone believes. Hell, I will volunteer match if that makes people donate instead of dollar matching.

Back