PlanVision Mark Zoril's asset allocation

momopi

https://planvisionmn.com/faq/

Q. So what do you invest in?
A. Mark Zoril invests all of his money in a Vanguard 2045 Retirement Date Fund. I don’t track my performance, don’t compare it to other portfolios, and rarely even look at my account. I don’t know “how it is doing.” I am very happy with this and have been doing it this way for more than 10 years.

Ramit Sethi vibes lol.

This is typical Boglehead thinking to set it and forget it. If he did know "how it was doing", he might realize that this fund is lagging against even the other 2045 Target Date funds out there.

1709066087304.png
Target date funds are very popular with people who don't know how to invest because it simplifies the decision making process for them, and most 401k's default to these funds nowadays, but it's surprising to me that a professional financial advisor would admit to investing his own retirement savings this way.

For diehard Bogleheads, they tend to prefer low cost index funds over target date funds, which carry higher fees. For example, index funds typically have 0.015% - 0.04% fees, vs target date funds charge 0.08% to 1%.

Over time, these small % add up. And if you can invest in a fund managed by someone who consistently out-perform the S&P 500 like Peter Lynch, Will Danoff, Warren Buffet, etc. you'd be wealthy. But what happens when the star fund manager retires? Look at Fidelity Magellan after Peter Lynch retired. I'm sure a lot of people are eyeing Fidelity Contrafund thinking "life after Will Danoff?"

Target date funds are very popular with people who don't know how to invest because it simplifies the decision making process for them, and most 401k's default to these funds nowadays, but it's surprising to me that a professional financial advisor would admit to investing his own retirement savings this way.

If your workplace isn't offering the funds or types of funds that you desire in 401k plan, you can petition HR or Benefits Administration Committee to add them.

I requested total US stock market index fund like VTSAX or FSKAX, but since we already offer FXAIX (S&P 500) they declined.

Back