Planning our next vacation

Since some are rented 2 homes at a time, I'm thinking the "no children" means "no one house for kids, and one house for parents". VRBO has a number of cabins also inside the park that do take kids like this Foresta home: https://www.vrbo.com/429278

Better bring an entourage to assist moving your new Citizen down the canal. It's pretty remote, as is all of Yosemite and if things go sideways you could be in a world of hurt.

These homes book up quickly. So time is of the essence. The homes are about a 20min drive from the Ahwanee or whatever the park is calling the hotel now.

If you have young kids and can get out of the State, I'd sooner recommend YMCA of the Rockies. Plenty of stuff to do every day and the cabins/homes there are top notch. http://ymcarockies.org/

At $150-$200 per night per unit, plus you can bring dogs/cats, not a bad deal.

My .02c

Has anyone here successfully booked a week-long trip to Hawaii or similar destination in a month or less? I am a planner type of person. I love doing everything way ahead of time. However, for the foreseeable future, I will only be able to actually book trips with about a month's notice. That sucks but there isn't much I can do about it.

The biggest problem with short notice vacations is limited availability/selection of lodging and higher prices on flights (depending).

We ended up booking a trip last minute and had to fly out of a different airport than SNA to save $200 per person... and had we booked a week or so earlier, SNA would have been $100pp less than what we paid.

#99%erproblems

I've booked a retreat for this weekend. Unfortunately, I will have to do the driving. I will be stopping in Lake Elsinore before reaching my final destination in Murrieta. I have to choose which route to take. I'm not happy with either. 91/15 vs. Ortega Highway.

Last year, I left at off-peak hours to make it easier and took the 91. However, I had to get off due to horrible construction / traffic. I then took side streets to the 15.

This year, I am picking up some people in Mission Viejo. That will take me at least 20+ minutes out of my way, in the wrong direction. I want to go north, not south. I'd have to backtrack. Or, I could just get on the 5 and go to the 55 or the 133/241 . Despite being an O.C. native, I have never taken Ortega Highway IN MY LIFE. Let's be honest. I'm terrified of it. I've read nothing but bad things. They say it's the nation's deadliest highway. Only 1 lane in each direction and windy, with cliffs. If someone gets really impatient behind you, I don't even see a place to get over and let them pass. There will be no men on this trip to take over the driving, which is what I am accustomed to and would prefer. I am the only one in my group who isn't elderly and who has a new, reliable vehicle, so, it's on me. Ugh. Oddly, although Ortega would shave several miles off the trip, Google says the 91 would be quicker. Yeah, I don't know about that!  :-\

eyephone said:
Going to Murrieta is your vacation?

It's for an annual conference / retreat. I guess you could call it a vacation with a purpose. It's intense. But in a good way. The location pulls double-duty as a Bible college - slash - conference center - slash - natural hot springs. I have no say in the venue. That's decided by someone else. Our choice is either: Go or Don't Go. I like going, except for the drive. It's a beautiful campus with a really nice coffee shop, book store, lake, hot springs to soak in, catered meals, tennis, etc. I can't complain. Before this location was endowed to the Bible college, it was run as a private retreat frequented by Hollywood celebrities... the same crew who went to Palm Springs back in its heyday. They went to the Murrieta Hot Springs for a peaceful retreat with tennis, golfing, and generally enjoying the unique geological formations which allow visitors to soak in the natural hot springs. It's part of California's history. I recommend it.

Just try Ortega, it's not that bad.  It will save you tons of time.  The most annoying part is if there's a big truck behind you that is impatient and has his lights on and is right on your tail.  In fact, just that fact that you are anticipating this will probably make you anxious. 

There are places to pull off to the side, but be careful which on you choose, don't choose a spot that has a blind spot directly behind you or someone may come flying around a curve at 50MPH right as you're getting back onto the highway. 

If you're leaving from MV, 91 is definitely *not* quicker especially with Saturday traffic.

SoCal said:
eyephone said:

It's for an annual conference / retreat. I guess you could call it a vacation with a purpose. It's intense. But in a good way. The location pulls double-duty as a Bible college - slash - conference center - slash - natural hot springs. I have no say in the venue. That's decided by someone else. Our choice is either: Go or Don't Go. I like going, except for the drive. It's a beautiful campus with a really nice coffee shop, book store, lake, hot springs to soak in, catered meals, tennis, etc. I can't complain. Before this location was endowed to the Bible college, it was run as a private retreat frequented by Hollywood celebrities... the same crew who went to Palm Springs back in its heyday. They went to the Murrieta Hot Springs for a peaceful retreat with tennis, golfing, and generally enjoying the unique geological formations which allow visitors to soak in the natural hot springs. It's part of California's history. I recommend it.

Ahhhh how I miss pastor Chuck (sniff, sniff)

irvinehomeowner said:
From Mission Viejo can't you hit the 241 and go straight up to the 91?

The problem is the traffic you hit after you get onto the 91 from the 241.  But yes, you can.

SoCal said:
aquabliss said:
Ahhhh how I miss pastor Chuck (sniff, sniff)

Ikr? Seriously. I really miss hearing him on Pastor's Perspective. What a blessing he was.

Pastor Chuck is the pastor who married me and the hubby...... long ago. lol!

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Pastor Chuck.

In the meantime, not the same as Chuck, but Garid Beeler's (ex Monday Nights Live at CCCM) church has a bible teaching emphasis.

the 91 is a lot better now.  they've wrapped up some of the construction.  plus with multiple people in the car, you'll be able to use the HOV lane.

irvinehomeowner said:
From Mission Viejo can't you hit the 241 and go straight up to the 91?

The furthest person I have to pick up will be a couple blocks off the 5 at Alicia Pkwy. I don't know if I should just hop right on the 5 since it's the closest. I could take it north to the toll roads or I could suck it up and head south to the dreaded Ortega Hwy. But, if I want to get directly on the 241, I think it's going to be a lot of lights because it's all side streets from there. Either way, I'm nervous about crazy drivers on both the 91 and Ortega. I can be late or I can be "laaaate". My main priority is getting us there in one piece. My car will also be weighed down with a lot of luggage in the back. It feels like a big difference to me since I very rarely drive like that. Whichever route is the most forgiving when accelerating and stopping is probably helpful.

SoCal said:
eyephone said:

Are you planning on going somewhere else after your retreat?

Panda said:
I've never heard of Pastor Chuck before? What made his messages very special?

Panda, Pastor Chuck Smith was the founder of the Calvary Chapel movement.  He was such a humble, loving, kindhearted, man filled with the Holy Spirit.  It was hard not to be moved and blessed by his messages.

Luckily he left us with lots of books, tapes, videos, etc.  In his latter years, he slowed down a lot but he never stopped serving, until the very end.  I remember when he got his cancer, he would always tell the congregation that even when he was having a bad day, he didn't feel like he could end his day unless he went to the church and spent time with fellow Christians.  He didn't take any salary for his work at the church, he just lived off whatever he made from his books and tapes. 

As much as people admired and adored him, he always kept reiterating that we need to give all the glory to God and not to any of those in ministry.  Although me and my family miss him terribly, we're also quite happy for him.

One thing I'll always remember him saying on one Sunday morning was that if he could humbly make a request to God, he wanted to oversee the Hawaiian islands in the millennial age.  I have no doubt I'll see him there one day :)

You can search online to easily find video and audio recordings of his sermons.

Ready2Downsize said:
Pastor Chuck is the pastor who married me and the hubby...... long ago. lol!

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Pastor Chuck.

In the meantime, not the same as Chuck, but Garid Beeler's (ex Monday Nights Live at CCCM) church has a bible teaching emphasis.

That's cool. Hey, it would be funny if we saw each other at the retreat and didn't realize it. I think there are about three or four other churches attending at the same time, if I recall. I think some go to different places, though. Have you already gone this year or is yours coming up? If you're going to Calvary Chapel Bible College this weekend, too, PM me so I can say, "Hi"!

Back