Planned Shopping Plaza - Irvine Blvd & Pusan?

I think they keep refinancing the toll road bonds too; so they will be paid off a long time from now. I don’t see Irvine helping with road construction to encourage residents to shop outside of the city. However, I would support using the current fire road to create a class I bike path connecting the Portola Springs trail with the Borrego trail, then completing a loop to Irvine Blvd.

We just bike through Portola Springs.

Irvine at least has multiple dedicated trails that can get you to Tustin and Newport Beach.

It's sad to see those pods empty all the time (what happened to those things?).

Ya I remember seeing those pods setup by the fields and there were signs that there was a Sushi spot and a Coffee Shop coming in 2023. I'm not sure if they took down those signs or not, or if anything will ever wind up there.

We just bike through Portola Springs.

Irvine at least has multiple dedicated trails that can get you to Tustin and Newport Beach.

Agreed and those are nice, I just want more bike infrastructure for day-to-day activities like going to restaurants and shopping. I want to live in a place where I can do activities while walking/biking as well as driving.

Agreed and those are nice, I just want more bike infrastructure for day-to-day activities like going to restaurants and shopping. I want to live in a place where I can do activities while walking/biking as well as driving.
Not understanding this.

We bike through Great Park and Portola Springs and there are extra wide sidewalks, bike lanes and overpass bridges that allow you to get to many parts of the area via bicycle.

I can probably get to every retail center in Irvine from any residence close to that center via sidewalk/bike lane... what more are you looking for?

Not understanding this.

We bike through Great Park and Portola Springs and there are extra wide sidewalks, bike lanes and overpass bridges that allow you to get to many parts of the area via bicycle.

I can probably get to every retail center in Irvine from any residence close to that center via sidewalk/bike lane... what more are you looking for?
I’d guess that Irvine is very bike friendly for exercise.

Actually taking a bike to many retail destinations is a different version of mass transit last mile problem. Mentally work thru taking your bike to Diamond Jamboree, the Spectrum or even Mitsuwa Marketplace on Culver. Getting there is fine, that last bit, pretty hairy.

Actually taking a bike to many retail destinations is a different version of mass transit last mile problem. Mentally work thru taking your bike to Diamond Jamboree, the Spectrum or even Mitsuwa Marketplace on Culver. Getting there is fine, that last bit, pretty hairy.

Most major roads in Irvine have bike paths or wide sidewalks to getting to these places aren't that bad if you know how to bike with cars.

DJ is a block from the San Diego Creek bike trail going south to Newport, Spectrum is close the to the San Diego Creek bike trail as it ends east... Mitsuwa is probably the hardest as you can get there from either the Peters Canyon trail or the Walnut trail.

I didn't even know about most of these trails until Covid... especially the University trail which is really nice.

On the west side of Sand Canyon, from the 405 all the way to Portola Blvd there is a double wide sidewalk (used to be striped for biking). It doesn't have the overpasses of JOST but is a fun ride from south to north Irvine.

Irvine trails are nice. My usual weekend activity is riding from Hicks Canyon trail to Peter Canyon all the way to Back Bay. Make a loop around Back Bay then ride back home for 40 miles within 2 hours. No major street crossing. No traffic light.

Agree. I road a bike along the San Diego Creek Trail to the Spectrum, but only once due to the car dodging around the center. Such a missed opportunity to attract more people without cars.

Most major roads in Irvine have bike paths or wide sidewalks to getting to these places aren't that bad if you know how to bike with cars.

I love the off-road bike paths and bridges/tunnels. I wish we had more of them.

I know how to bike with cars, but I don't feel safe on a bike lane when those cars are going 40+ mph. One mistake and serious injury or worse awaits for the person on the bike. Worse with kids.

We drive for most of our meals or errands in Irvine. Many of them are great! I just want to be able to replace some meaningful portion (but not all) of those trips with walks and bikes. As a plus this would mean one less car on the road.

I guess because I usually don't take bike lanes on high speed roads (I ride on those wide sidewalks), it's less of a concern for me.

And areas where the sidewalks aren't wide enough... you can usually find one of the dedicated paths to use to go around... could be farther but still doable.

That being said, Irvine has a lot of bad/inattentive drivers... there are many times where they don't see me on turns or driveways (and I'm not a small person)... so you just have to be careful.

Are they going to do this in more Irvine areas?
I hope so. 😎 it’ll be cool if they do this to Portola Spring road. I love climbing. I miss the good old days when PS was just an empty street up and down, no traffic lights, no traffic. I used to do 10 laps up and down for daily exercise. Now it sucks when going down hill at 40mph and hit a red light in the middle.

They probably did counts of traffic vs road capacity, put that on a spreadsheet, and picked the most under-used roads by drivers. Basically just kowtowing to cars.

Just throw a double width sidewalk on one of the sides of Culver (probably east side because west side homes too close to the street).

Back