Plan B

roundcorners

Hello again everybody? RC posting from lovely LA, gotta say; getting settled again and enjoying old digs, getting used to again? traffic, lines at restaurants, litter at the tot-lot, homeless people asking for change & rude people in general? ^_^ 

You all know the saying? you don?t know how good you have it until it?s gone?  And, I do have to say, Irvine & RC have a better relationship now that we are far and long gone?!

The family checked out that Tot-lot right outside San Marino before we left and just marveled at the fresh smelling clean Cancun white sand in the box, and new equipment, versus the cigarette butt filled brown sand, rusted equipment at the Redondo Beach pier and the wife and I just had to laugh?

But? then again you don?t see old people flying kites for the kiddies, kids sharing all kinds of foods/snacks, super friendly, truly diverse families, and really dirty/soiled/kids in their PJs and yes even actually as many dads as there are moms during the day at the parks in Irvine?

Well?  I?m really loving life again ^_^ and I have to admit I was quite the grouch living in Woodbury? sorry everyone?!  We love visiting Irvine, using your parks, amenities, BBQs, pools, furniture, and public services and leaving at the end of the day?  Which reminds me, still have a few FOB keys to Woodbury that I found through out the years; won?t mind putting it to good use with another get-together?

Ok? so the point of my post? Plan is to still wait and buy the LBC? but was just thinking of Plan B for some of you to consider who are gripping about Irvine inventories? and an alternative to those brand spanking new communities?

Remember Ann that works at Walnut TJs?  Well, we?ve all became great friends, and she lives at the Willows in El Camino, next to Green Tree?  Great Irvine old-timers, great sense of community, no HOAs, no Mello, great prices, good schools, down to earth, simple people? big well 5000+ sq/ft lots and you can do anything you want to you house?

If by chance the RC family find itself in Irvine again for some odd reason, The Willows is where we will call home for the next few years or so?  Take any Willows home, tear it down, take San Marino or whatever new floor-plan you like and built it there? you have new construction, large yard, your in Irvine, and a better sense of community than Woodbury!

roundcorners said:
Hello again everybody? RC posting from lovely LA, gotta say; getting settled again and enjoying old digs, getting used to again? traffic, lines at restaurants, litter at the tot-lot, homeless people asking for change & rude people in general? ^_^ 
So you moved to LA? Good luck... try to stay active here to give us the "real" life perspective.
But? then again you don?t see old people flying kites for the kiddies, kids sharing all kinds of foods/snacks, super friendly, truly diverse families, and really dirty/soiled/kids in their PJs and yes even actually as many dads as there are moms during the day at the parks in Irvine?
Not sure where you're looking... but I guess I'm in an older community so I see much of that where I go.
If by chance the RC family find itself in Irvine again for some odd reason, The Willows is where we will call home for the next few years or so?  Take any Willows home, tear it down, take San Marino or whatever new floor-plan you like and built it there? you have new construction, large yard, your in Irvine, and a better sense of community than Woodbury!
I think you'll find the cost to buy, tear and build may cost more than buying new.... or there would be more people doing it in the Willows. I actually almost bought our first home there but on one property, the seller pulled out and on the second, we got cold feet because it only had 1 bathroom (IHO needs his own throne :eek: ). I think at the time, those homes were going for $160k, now they are in the $400ks... so even The Willows has its own bubble.

Good luck finding your dream 4-plex in LBC... just remember that it's not easy to pick and choose diverse tenants who won't give you more headache than you're prepared for.

jumpcut said:
roundcorners said:
We love visiting Irvine, using your parks, amenities, BBQs, pools, furniture, and public services and leaving at the end of the day?  Which reminds me, still have a few FOB keys to Woodbury that I found through out the years; won?t mind putting it to good use with another get-together?

All those keyfobs you "found" throughout the years belong to legitimate residents of Woodbury.  If the fobs were reported lost or stolen, it would show up onscreen at the security office when you try to use them.  Even if the fobs have not been reported, Nordic Security has significantly stepped up patrols and will periodically check all keyfob serial numbers to see if the people using them match legitimate residents.  Just be prepared to deal with them next time you and your family are sneaking into the private facilities. A nice lesson for your young child.

Besides, knowing how pious and religious you are, it certainly must be a horrible oversight that you'd steal access from those who are legitimately paying for it.

What can I say Jump? I?m guilty?!  Pious???  Hardly? all I ever say is that I?m screwed up and a huge misfit? bending the rules has been a life-long struggle? the greed often takes over.  It?s just so difficult when all your life people just gives you stuff; all sorts of trips, gifts, drinks, never really had to pay to get into clubs or parties?  When you really see people, listen to them, hear their pain and be a true friend, people do amazing things for you.  I guess there are just so many lonely people out there.  I really ?tried? to give the FOB back, to the maintenance workers, but they want to see our son again, and she loves having us over at the club house?  We also love to visit the leasing office people, and I did say we?ll be back often when we checked out?

But yeah, that doesn?t make it right?  I?ll probably just throw the key away? it?s not like we don't know plenty of friends who would lend us the FOB keys anytime? but yeah, I would know..!

jumpcut said:
roundcorners said:
I really ?tried? to give the FOB back, to the maintenance workers, but they want to see our son again, and she loves having us over at the club house? 

The maintenance workers aren't authorized to handle keyfob returns.  But no worries.  I just alerted Nordic Security with a link to your post.  They're authorized to handle such matters.

I guess that is the problem with a lot of you guys in Irvine... plenty of straight laced "beaver" engineer types... those with no people skills, follow the rules to the T & total party killers...!  Good to see more "otters" here in LA... hey we know how to have a good time ^_^

in the wise words of IHO... chill out, you're stressing out too much...  I'll alert Nordic Security myself next time I'm in Woodbury, as a matter of fact, I think I'll try to befriend some of them...  you know those "security guards" sitting alone in the middle of the night guarding TIC's lumber for their new projects or those un-open model homes?  Guess who brought them a cup of coffee/doughnut?  If you think about how much they get paid and how much they care about TIC's lumber, what would you think they would do if real trouble makers come to steal some wood, cause some trouble or sneak into the homes for an early preview...

RC, perhaps you need to follow the advice below
1247627894508.jpg

irvinehomeowner said:
roundcorners said:
So you moved to LA? Good luck... try to stay active here to give us the "real" life perspective.
Not sure where you're looking... but I guess I'm in an older community so I see much of that where I go.
I think you'll find the cost to buy, tear and build may cost more than buying new.... or there would be more people doing it in the Willows. I actually almost bought our first home there but on one property, the seller pulled out and on the second, we got cold feet because it only had 1 bathroom (IHO needs his own throne :eek: ). I think at the time, those homes were going for $160k, now they are in the $400ks... so even The Willows has its own bubble.

Good luck finding your dream 4-plex in LBC... just remember that it's not easy to pick and choose diverse tenants who won't give you more headache than you're prepared for.

IHO... ok... so I forgot where you live... but I was talking about Woodbury Commons, my God; most kids there are constantly being sanitized with hand wipes and hand gels...  Heavens forbid the kid get the $50 Gymboree/Carter's outfit dirty...

As far as the kite thing... when does Irvine get a gush of wind except for the Santa Anas...?  You really see old folks playing with the kids?  Really?  ok...

Not going to hate... well not anymore...

The Willows are going for the low $400, some were even going for $350 last year... I think we'll see some of those prices again... Lot sizes are 5000+ larger than San Marinos, with full size driveways...  no alley though...  Cost of construction say $80/sq foot puts you around $600-$700 when you are all said and done... only thing is, you'll probably have to pay cash for construction... for a total tear down...

A nicely remodeled should be even less maybe $60/sq foot, don't know what the current going rate is... but you should be able to get a second bath and add a second story...  Most of the homes in the Willow look similar but are not identical... similar demographics to Woodbridge, mostly original, white, older friendly folks who will take the time to say hello; you'll even see them outside, mowing their own lawns & tending to their sidewalks...  You won't see many Bimmer or Benzes but Jeeps, Trucks & Vans...  oh & you're just a stone's throw to Woodbury...

I catch the wife writing a few address down and giving me the look that she wants to check a few out... Oh boy...!  She waits until we're out of Irvine to tell me this...  Well, she knew it would have been one ear and out the other if I were still there...

Worst case, I guess... pick up something in the high $300s pay it off in 10 years, use some of the equity for LB & rent it out after the kid finishes Elementary...  Oh God... I can't believe I'm even talking about it...

roundcorners said:
you'll even see them outside, mowing their own lawns & tending to their sidewalks...

The problem with Willow is that some homeowners mow their lawn once every 3 months and some owners never have to because they let their lawn turn brown and die due to lack of watering.
You also have cars on blocks and aluminum foil on windows as window covering.
Many houses are in dire need of repair and look horrible.
I don't know what it is about Willow because many other non-association areas don't look half as bad as Willow.

Sorry in advance to anyone who live in Willow, but many people consider the Willow the "ghetto" of Irvine.

Starlight East said:
jumpcut said:
roundcorners said:
I really ?tried? to give the FOB back, to the maintenance workers, but they want to see our son again, and she loves having us over at the club house? 

The maintenance workers aren't authorized to handle keyfob returns.  But no worries.  I just alerted Nordic Security with a link to your post.  They're authorized to handle such matters.

Jumpcut: You just got yourself blacklisted from the next Talk Irvine Woodbury Pool Party.

RC: Just curious, why Redondo Beach and not Long Beach? And what about your church?

We're back in the South Bay... where I grew up... Redondo is my old stomping grounds... Renting in Long Beach is a pain when you experienced The Irvine... no inside laundry such... We're closer to my folks & finally Asian guilt them into watching the kid once in a while... after I give countless examples of dedicated Woodbury Grandparents...

We head down to LB a lot... was just there yesterday... pulled into the Shell on Ocean and the city is getting ready for the Gran Prix again... walked into the Station Market and the Tecate Girls in high heels were hawking $11/case beers, a real F1 car is on display in the parking lot, a half dressed beach bum was giving the sandwich lady lip & the lady wasn't taking it, biker dudes, fully tattoo skater punks, working folks, punk rocker guy coming up to pump his bike tires...  RC is in heaven...!  I love Long Beach I told the wife, she grins... she totally understands me...!

we're checking out a few churches up here, but Newsong is our home... we'll head down a few times a month, but the longer drive is havoc on the kid's nap schedule... so we got to work something out...

roundcorners said:
IHO... ok... so I forgot where you live... but I was talking about Woodbury Commons, my God; most kids there are constantly being sanitized with hand wipes and hand gels...  Heavens forbid the kid get the $50 Gymboree/Carter's outfit dirty...

As far as the kite thing... when does Irvine get a gush of wind except for the Santa Anas...?  You really see old folks playing with the kids?  Really?  ok...

That's the problem... your "hate" is blinding you. Go to any open park or school and you can find enough wind and room to fly a kite... actually two weekends ago was a nice kite day.

There are numerous times when I see Gramps or Grammy playing with their grandchildren... maybe you need to visit LensCrafters.

This story will delight you:

Two weeks ago, we took the kids and their cousins to Woodbury Elementary to play on the playground. There was no one around but after a while more kids showed up. In fact, a full court basketball game broke out between these 6-8 year old boys... and talk about diversity... not one "color" was over represented. Over where the asphalt hits the grass, there was an Asian family where a father was teaching his son to ride a bike. He did the PeterUK thing (where is PeterUK these days?) where he took the pedals off the bike and the kid was learning to balance by riding down the grassy incline. We watched him and thought of how great an idea that was... the grass made it so it wasn't that fast and if they did fall, it was soft. After a few times going down the incline and balancing on his own, his dad put the pedals back on and then showed him how to pedal. Shortly thereafter, he was able to pedal in the grass and it was nice to see the interaction between him, his father, mother and brother as he celebrated his new found ability. Fast forward a week later and guess who's there with their bike? That's right, because of that Asian family, my own kid now knows how to ride a bike where we failed previous times because she was afraid of falling on the asphalt. Maybe it was just the right time or she needed the extra insurance but that is one memory in Irvine that we'll cherish.

The point... it's what YOU make of it... no matter where you are. You'll find it's your own perception that will make things good or bad... not necessarily the location or the people around you.
The Willows are going for the low $400, some were even going for $350 last year... I think we'll see some of those prices again... Lot sizes are 5000+ larger than San Marinos, with full size driveways...  no alley though...  Cost of construction say $80/sq foot puts you around $600-$700 when you are all said and done... only thing is, you'll probably have to pay cash for construction... for a total tear down...

A nicely remodeled should be even less maybe $60/sq foot, don't know what the current going rate is... but you should be able to get a second bath and add a second story...  Most of the homes in the Willow look similar but are not identical... similar demographics to Woodbridge, mostly original, white, older friendly folks who will take the time to say hello; you'll even see them outside, mowing their own lawns & tending to their sidewalks...  You won't see many Bimmer or Benzes but Jeeps, Trucks & Vans...  oh & you're just a stone's throw to Woodbury...

I catch the wife writing a few address down and giving me the look that she wants to check a few out... Oh boy...!  She waits until we're out of Irvine to tell me this...  Well, she knew it would have been one ear and out the other if I were still there...

Worst case, I guess... pick up something in the high $300s pay it off in 10 years, use some of the equity for LB & rent it out after the kid finishes Elementary...  Oh God... I can't believe I'm even talking about it...
Good luck with that... although I think you have it backwards. You want to own the cheapest house in the nicest neighborhood, not own the nicest house in the cheapest neighborhood.

Irvine2Irvine said:
roundcorners said:
you'll even see them outside, mowing their own lawns & tending to their sidewalks...

The problem with Willow is that some homeowners mow their lawn once every 3 months and some owners never have to because they let their lawn turn brown and die due to lack of watering.
You also have cars on blocks and aluminum foil on windows as window covering.
Many houses are in dire need of repair and look horrible.
I don't know what it is about Willow because many other non-association areas don't look half as bad as Willow.

Sorry in advance to anyone who live in Willow, but many people consider the Willow the "ghetto" of Irvine.

Sounds fantastic... some great conversation starters to me...!  I guess the ghettos is where RC belongs...  Oh, don't mind at all weeding, watering or tending my neighbor's lawns... anything to serve my fellow neighbor...  ya think Woodbury owners would want RC on their tiny piece of grass...?

irvinehomeowner said:
roundcorners said:

That's the problem... your "hate" is blinding you. Go to any open park or school and you can find enough wind and room to fly a kite... actually two weekends ago was a nice kite day.

There are numerous times when I see Gramps or Grammy playing with their grandchildren... maybe you need to visit LensCrafters.

This story will delight you:

Two weeks ago, we took the kids and their cousins to Woodbury Elementary to play on the playground. There was no one around but after a while more kids showed up. In fact, a full court basketball game broke out between these 6-8 year old boys... and talk about diversity... not one "color" was over represented. Over where the asphalt hits the grass, there was an Asian family where a father was teaching his son to ride a bike. He did the PeterUK thing (where is PeterUK these days?) where he took the pedals off the bike and the kid was learning to balance by riding down the grassy incline. We watched him and thought of how great an idea that was... the grass made it so it wasn't that fast and if they did fall, it was soft. After a few times going down the incline and balancing on his own, his dad put the pedals back on and then showed him how to pedal. Shortly thereafter, he was able to pedal in the grass and it was nice to see the interaction between him, his father, mother and brother as he celebrated his new found ability. Fast forward a week later and guess who's there with their bike? That's right, because of that Asian family, my own kid now knows how to ride a bike where we failed previous times because she was afraid of falling on the asphalt. Maybe it was just the right time or she needed the extra insurance but that is one memory in Irvine that we'll cherish.

The point... it's what YOU make of it... no matter where you are. You'll find it's your own perception that will make things good or bad... not necessarily the location or the people around you.

Good luck with that... although I think you have it backwards. You want to own the cheapest house in the nicest neighborhood, not own the nicest house in the cheapest neighborhood.

ok... let me specify... you really see random (not family members) old folks playing around with kiddies?  Maybe fishing at the Woodbridge lakes... but sorry IHO... not where I came from...

sounds like a great experience... yes, warms RC's heart...  ^_^  yes going to stop the hate!  So be sure to call me out on objective criticism versus hate...

Ok, I agree about the cheapest house in the nicest neighborhood... but... gosh, is the Willow like totally looked down upon?  I guess from the looks of things here...  all them FCBs are like Yuck, the Willow, it's where the old white folks with foil on the windows live...!

eqly said:
Not too familiar, please enlighten me.  Where exactly is the Willow neighborhood at? 
The neighborhood between Culver, Walnut and Yale. Just south of the shopping center, Irvine High and Heritage Park.

You can Redfin 'El Camino Real, Irvine' to get a real estate profile of it.

The part just south of shopping center is Greentree. Greentree has HOA and it is kept up faily good.
The part just south of the Heritage Park is Willow.  The "Willow" sign is very easy to miss.  Inside some streets are OK and some streets are terrible.

my wife grew up in Irvine... the Willow is one place she says she won't live...    In general, she and her friends stay away from there.  Funny, her comment was "that's where are the bad kids were from when I grew up"....      She didn't live anywhere special, she grew up in Deerfield, which isn't that great either.    A $55 (West Irvine) or $74 (NP Sq) association fee isnt that bad.  She grew up next to a neighbor who would park his mammoth boat out in front of the house all summer, you could barely even squeeze a car by... 

akim997 said:
my wife grew up in Irvine... the Willow is one place she says she won't live...    In general, she and her friends stay away from there.  Funny, her comment was "that's where are the bad kids were from when I grew up"....      She didn't live anywhere special, she grew up in Deerfield, which isn't that great either.    A $55 (West Irvine) or $74 (NP Sq) association fee isnt that bad.  She grew up next to a neighbor who would park his mammoth boat out in front of the house all summer, you could barely even squeeze a car by... 

It just happens that a boy got expelled from Venado middle school for SELLING pot last year.  Not using it, but selling it.  Guess what??  Not a very common thing from an Irvine Middle school.  And, he is from Willows  It is sad, but when I read the comment "that's where are the bad kids were from when I grew up"....  it just reminded me of the "boy" from Willows.

I go to Deerfield everyday to drop off my kid at Venado.  Trust me, it is a much better place than Willow. 

roundcorners might tell you to score a $20 sack, roll a joint and give it to the security guard, and then go smoke the rest in the model homes being constructed in Laguna Alt.    This, of course, is assuming the kid was selling some decent cr$p...

joking aside, i saw they are remodeling venado  (not sure)  when I drop my daughter off at the in-laws.   

akim997 said:
roundcorners might tell you to score a $20 sack, roll a joint and give it to the security guard, and then go smoke the rest in the model homes being constructed in Laguna Alt.    This, of course, is assuming the kid was selling some decent cr$p...

joking aside, i saw they are remodeling venado  (not sure)  when I drop my daughter off at the in-laws. 

They are remodeling Deerfield Elementary (which is right next to Venado) right now and it will reopen in September.

Back