Pink Slip Friday

Today is a mass-protest day for the teachers are being laid off across the state. My wife is being affected.

<a href="http://www.pinkfriday09.org/events/event/listByDate?date=2009-03-13">http://www.pinkfriday09.org/events/event/listByDate?date=2009-03-13</a>

I know that not everyone is a big fan of teachers/unions/schools but personally I think that education is about the last thing that should go. . . teachers work very very hard (a lot harder than everyone think) and we have thrown so much responsibility/duties upon our schools and teachers. Parents do not want to be parents anymore. . .

[quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1236982462] Parents do not want to be parents anymore. . .</blockquote>

QFT, don't get me started, my parents are teacher and alot of the extended family are teachers (it must make them sad we are engineers). Anyway, alot of parents just want zero responsibility, send the kids into school to become better people, we don't need to teach them. Especially when they become more wealthy, they tend to let the kids do whatever they wanted.....

anyways good luck

-bix

As a parent of 2 school kids I'm willing to donate $250 per kid per month to help fix this budget mess and/or donate time, skills. My wife has been participating in our school for the last 3 years.

[quote author="Trooper" date=1237206186]<em>Parents do not want to be parents anymore. . . </em>

I can vouch for that statement as well.</blockquote>

I deal with it everyday and this is in a school where parents have to sign a contract saying that they WILL be involved. It's so sad, but it makes it pretty easy to distinguish who will be successful. Those without involved parents have everything going against them, cheers to those who actually make it.

Its funny, I volunteer at the local school to help with their science and engineering projects. They asked if I could/would hold an extra afternoon activity for science classes. What really burned me was that they gave me a SYLLABUS (sp?), sheesh. I'm thinking I should just walk away, all the commitments of teaching with none of the benefits (pay)....

wow, just wow.

Back