PiggyBoxes- Moving Box Rentals - New Site Supporter

PiggyBoxes

Hello Everyone!

I posted in the newbie thread but seems the RE section gets the most traffic so I wanted to introduce myself over here.  My name is Todd and I am the owner of PiggyBoxes.com, and we are a new site supporter here on Talk Irvine.

First a little about us: My wife and I currently live in Aliso Viejo after moving from Irvine a few years ago.  I worked for the Irvine Company for about 4 years before starting PiggyBoxes and my wife works at a non-profit dental office in Garden Grove.

A little bit about our company:
PiggyBoxes are reusable plastic moving boxes that you rent instead of buying cardboard boxes.  They make moving easier, more efficient, and greener!  We deliver for free anywhere in Orange County but also service the portions of the IE and LA.  We have been in business for almost 2 years and have over 30 5 star reviews across Yelp, Angieslist, and Google. We've done everything from 25 boxes for a small studio, up to almost 500 for a large office relocation. 

How it works:
- We drop off the boxes at your current home/apartment/office.
- You pack/move/unpack.  (We can recommend quality movers if needed)
- Once you're done unpacking, we come pick up all the supplies.  No waste, no mess!

If anyone has any questions about our service feel free to post here (I try to check the boards every day) or email me todd (@) piggyboxes.com. 

We look forward to helping make your next move easier!  Cheers!

www.PiggyBoxes.com

I think we could have used this service back when we moved.

We ended up buying quite a few plastic bins from Target thinking we would use them later but as it turns out, after we unpacked, we have about 10-15 of them stacked in the garage empty. We also probably used 15 cardboard boxes (which we since passed on to another person who is moving).

So renting moving boxes actually makes sense. And yes, they are much easier to move than cardboard boxes. Even our movers said that moving us was so much easier because we used plastic boxes.

Good luck with your business!

Rental boxes could get quite expensive, especially if you need to store your boxes for a few months.  I needed over 200 boxes for my move which cost me a little over $200 at U-Haul. 

Looking at your rental rates, if I wanted to rent 200 boxes for 8 months it would cost me  appx. $5458, doesn't make sense?

Section-8 4All said:
Rental boxes could get quite expensive, especially if you need to store your boxes for a few months.  I needed over 200 boxes for my move which cost me a little over $200 at U-Haul. 

Looking at your rental rates, if I wanted to rent 200 boxes for 8 months it would cost me  appx. $5458, doesn't make sense?

I don't think you're the target audience. They are looking for people renting the boxes for a weekend.

Section-8 4All said:

Yah, I had the exact same thoughts looking at the figures. Wouldn't work for me. I'm still unpacking and I moved in 3 years ago.  ::) Talking to other families, it seems that's typical. Moving is an event. Moving IN is a process, and an often lengthy one at that. Moving boxes become storage boxes. My hat is off to anyone who can unpack all their family's earthly belongings in a weekend. The boxes are a good idea which would probably be best-suited for a college student / bachelor / minimalist or maybe an office with someone whose dedicated job it is to clock-in and unpack in a timely manner.

As paperboyNC stated, you would use their services for boxes you actually use for *moving*, not for storage.

So in our situation, all the stuff we put in cardboard boxes that we knew we would unpack immediately, we would use PiggyBoxes. For the stuff that we knew we were just going to store, we would use our own plastic boxes.

A good thing about this type of service is it makes you unpack everything you move. I still have stuff in boxes from 3 moves ago. :(

My boxes are being used for moving, it's just a very long move as I wait for my home to be completed.

Yes generally someone who wants to take a few months to unpack, I wouldn't recommend renting.  Normally if I get a call for a quote for anything over 5-6 weeks I let people know its probably not the most cost effective solution.  However we do offer long term discounts so if you want them longer we will try to work with you.  The longest residential customer I've had was 8 weeks, but we are working with a few corporate customers who are up to 8 months.  One is a hotel who is renovating the entire building, and to help with their LEED Cert. they are renting boxes.  Will help them in the long run as they score more points for eco-friendly alternatives. 

I would say 70% of customers finish within 2 weeks, and 20% in 3 weeks.  Customers always tell me they love being on a time limit so they don't end up living out of boxes for months. =)

irvinehomeowner said:
As paperboyNC stated, you would use their services for boxes you actually use for *moving*, not for storage.

In an ideal world, sure. Not always as easy to delineate in the real world, though.  :( Often, as the clock winds down, getting down to crunch time before needing to drive off, stuff gets tossed into the nearest box with no rhyme or reason, to be sifted through after the movers take off. With cardboard, some of that is mitigated by having time on your side, being able to get as long of a head start as desired to get organized. Getting prepped in stages ahead of time is a useful way to avoid last-minute chaos. Being organized is key. The larger the family, the harder it is. The customer can get a good head-start with these, too, but it's going to cost a pretty penny. As far as I'm aware per the website, this service does not help the customer pack or unpack. Now, they've really got to beat the clock.

irvinehomeowner said:
A good thing about this type of service is it makes you unpack everything you move. I still have stuff in boxes from 3 moves ago. :(

This is a good indication that you can let go the stuff :p People tend to hold on to things much longer than they really need them.

c4 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

This is a good indication that you can let go the stuff :p People tend to hold on to things much longer than they really need them.
I was one of those people who would keep things because I might need them later.

Then one day I realized that some of this stuff I was keeping (cables, power cords, etc) was stuff I could just buy if I ever needed them (which I haven't). And that the space they were taking wasn't worth the few dollars it would cost to re-buy them. My only concern then was some of this stuff is so old, I wouldn't be able to find replacements... heh.

That's the good thing about moving, it helps you purge.

irvinehomeowner said:
c4 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I was one of those people who would keep things because I might need them later.

Then one day I realized that some of this stuff I was keeping (cables, power cords, etc) was stuff I could just buy if I ever needed them (which I haven't). And that the space they were taking wasn't worth the few dollars it would cost to re-buy them. My only concern then was some of this stuff is so old, I wouldn't be able to find replacements... heh.

That's the good thing about moving, it helps you purge.

See IHO, now you are starting to think like a 1%'er

Back