Pieology

OCgasman

New place at Irvine Spectrum (original place in Fullerton, never been there), this is a review of the spectrum location.  Love these pizzas.  I mean I really love these pizzas.  For a single price, I think it was $7.50 or around there, you wait in line and move station to station, kinda like Chipotle, and tell them what you want on your pizza.  All pizzas are personal and thin crust and you can load up as much as you want for that single price.  They throw it into a super hot oven and it's done in less than 10 min.  Delicious.  Check this place out, you won't be disappointed.  It's near Wahoo's around the corner facing the parking lot.  My wife went 3 times on their opening week.  My only nit to pick is there isn't a lot of seating and the place is always crowded at the usual eating times.

There's also some construction right next door on another restaurant.  Looks like a hipster kinda place, but can't tell at this stage.

irvinehomeowner said:
How is it compared to Blaze Pizza? We wanted to try Pieology after we ate at Blaze last week.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,3342.0.html
Never been to Blaze, didn't even know it existed until your post.  Looks like the same business model.  I expect them to be comparable, probably the main distinction will be the freshness and diversity of the ingredients.  I think these quick pizza places are a refreshing change from the usual pizza parlor, especially at these price points.

We'll probably hit up Pieology this week some time. I just found out about their location after Blaze when I was doing some research for my post.

I do agree that it's an interesting concept. Blaze also does build your own salads but I was thinking that it would be easy enough for them to do oven-baked sandwiches too... same ingredients but this could capture the non-pizza crowd at the same time (they could even do french bread type pizza for those who want a "thicker crust").

I think for price points, Blaze is a bit better at $6.85 vs $7.50 for BYO and $5.00 vs. 6.00 for cheese pizza... but compared to what you pay at CPK... it's a great deal.

Love the pizza. Pizza is done in under 5 min. $7.50 is a good price-point I think considering the size of the pizza and unlimited toppings.

Both are comparable for me. Pieology dough seems thinner and cheese not as yummy as Blaze. But you can't beat the BYO. The cinnamon sugar tastes like in heaven when just out of oven.

irvinehomeowner said:
it would be easy enough for them to do oven-baked sandwiches too... same ingredients but this could capture the non-pizza crowd at the same time

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what an oven-baked sandwich is - and I'm a 30-something woman who knows her way around the kitchen, so you'd think I'd know. You either mean a calzone because it has the same ingredients as a pizza - except you said it's for the non-pizza crowd, so that only leaves me with a panini which isn't oven-baked. Why can't I solve this puzzle. I'll have to Google this...

... continued...

I wonder if you mean a toasted sub. Possibly not due to the pizza ingredients.

By any chance do you eat at Domino's a lot? The term "Oven Baked Sandwich" seems to be used predominantly in their marketing material. I can't say I've heard it used anywhere else.

"Toasted sub" if that helps (but I was tryinig to avoid the Subway/Quizno's lingo).

Same idea as the quick fired pizza but using a french roll and putting on meats/cheeses, stick it in their oven so it gets warm, add the veggies and mayo/mustard/dressing and you have a nice hot sandwich. And like I said, you can even do two foot-long slices of french bread pizza for those who want more "crust" that the thin crust doesn't provide.

Anyhoo...

Went to Pieology this evening... pretty similar to Blaze except they don't have as many veggie toppings, cheeses or pesto sauce. I like that they have unlimited toppings (meats, cheese or veggies)... whereas Blaze has a 3-combo limit of meats/cheeses (more is extra and veggies is unlimited). The wife thinks the toppings are "fresher" at Blaze and prefers their crust.

I like both and could eat at either... but Blaze does have build your own salads too. It's interesting how Chipotle like these places are. Also, Pieology does a 6-slice cut while Blaze does a 4-slice cut... I like the 6-slice better.

The Pieology at the Spectrum is small and they are fronted to the parking lot so that's why we never saw them before. And I give their dessert higher marks, I like the cinnamon strips better than the smores at Blaze.

So while I like both about the same, my wife likes Blaze because they can add fresh arugula after baking too.

Back