Piano Lesson Recommendations?

SoCal78_IHB

I am thinking of starting my 5 year old son in piano lessons. I wonder if anyone has a studio they particularly like. There is one in the city's spring activity guide I am considering signing him up for -- Pianoforte in Heritage Plaza. They are offering group keyboard lessons - 4 sessions / 1 hr each at $200 total. I don't know if this is a good deal or not. I would be open to group or private lessons that are child-friendly. If anyone has a place they like, I'll appreciate the info.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1238403570]I am thinking of starting my 5 year old son in piano lessons. I wonder if anyone has a studio they particularly like. There is one in the city's spring activity guide I am considering signing him up for -- Pianoforte in Heritage Plaza. They are offering group keyboard lessons - 4 sessions / 1 hr each at $200 total. I don't know if this is a good deal or not. I would be open to group or private lessons that are child-friendly. If anyone has a place they like, I'll appreciate the info.</blockquote>

$77 for 4 one hour lessons at Phoenix Feather in Lake Forest.

My neighbor is a world reknown professional harpist. He takes his kids to the ORCHEPIA SCHOOL OF MUSIC at Jeffrey and Roosevelt in Irvine. He recommends them.

Miranda Woo in Northwood. 714.665.2469. Many of her students she taught since 5 or 6 are now enrolled to some Ivy League school, Berkeley, Stanford, MIT and UCLA with music scholarship. Her young daughter is a cellist with the privilege to perform with Yo Yo Ma when he is in town.

Her students have placed in the top in local city competitions at Piano Forte as well as state championship held at other locations.

One out of 30 students is non Asian in most piano classes so be prepare to have your son be among many cute Asian girls.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1238486342]Miranda Woo in Northwood. 714.665.2469. Many of her students she taught since 5 or 6 are now enrolled to some Ivy League school, Berkeley, Stanford, MIT and UCLA with music scholarship. Her young daughter is a cellist with the privilege to perform with Yo Yo Ma when he is in town.

Her students have placed in the top in local city competitions at Piano Forte as well as state championship held at other locations.

One out of 30 students is non Asian in most piano classes so be prepare to have your son be among many cute Asian girls.</blockquote>

What are the qualifications to have her as a teacher? I've found that most exceptional private instructors will only take on students that are truly dedicated and talented.

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1238487101][quote author="bkshopr" date=1238486342]Miranda Woo in Northwood. 714.665.2469. Many of her students she taught since 5 or 6 are now enrolled to some Ivy League school, Berkeley, Stanford, MIT and UCLA with music scholarship. Her young daughter is a cellist with the privilege to perform with Yo Yo Ma when he is in town.

One out of 30 students is non Asian in most piano classes so be prepare to have your son be among many cute Asian girls.</blockquote>

What are the qualifications to have her as a teacher? I've found that most exceptional private instructors will only take on students that are truly dedicated and talented.</blockquote>

You are so right!

She will only take students about 5 or 6 years old. The older students have to demonstrate a high level of talents and dedication. She also interviews the parents for their 12 years of commitments, She is booked solid 7 days a week.

She is tough but very good, Her Caucasian husband is much more patient so he teaches all the children and send them to the Shaolin room after acquiring the basic skills.

She also make sure her students participate in their local school musical talent competitions, state wide testing, and city wide competition.

PM me for the next recital or competition so you can hear for yourself before making this serious choice.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1238486342]Miranda Woo in Northwood. 714.665.2469. Many of her students she taught since 5 or 6 are now enrolled to some Ivy League school, Berkeley, Stanford, MIT and UCLA with music scholarship.

</blockquote>

While I have utmost respect for those who excel in the arts such that they actually make money doing it (hell, I decided against it because I knew I couldn't hack it), you can also give your child a shot at excelling in math and science with a music education. At an early age a music education can alter the way the brain develops, as well as give a child a higher tolerance for repeating things until they are "good" at it. I can speak from experience to how much a music education enabled my success.

That, and I drive Graph crazy with my touch-typing skills. :) Piano lessons, FTW!

[quote author="caycifish" date=1238503011][quote author="bkshopr" date=1238486342]Miranda Woo in Northwood. 714.665.2469. Many of her students she taught since 5 or 6 are now enrolled to some Ivy League school, Berkeley, Stanford, MIT and UCLA with music scholarship.

</blockquote>

While I have utmost respect for those who excel in the arts such that they actually make money doing it (hell, I decided against it because I knew I couldn't hack it), you can also give your child a shot at excelling in math and science with a music education. At an early age a music education can alter the way the brain develops, as well as give a child a higher tolerance for repeating things until they are "good" at it. I can speak from experience to how much a music education enabled my success.

That, and I drive Graph crazy with my touch-typing skills. :) Piano lessons, FTW!</blockquote>

Yes, Piano music requires perfection. That will take many hours, days, months and years of practice to achieve perfection. When the pianist made a tiniest mistake layman can tell. Children can learn patience and determination from Piano. Eye, brain, hand, and mathematical rhythm are developed early in life. Right and left hand coordination that can lead to greater left and right brain development. I wish I have this type of talent but I don't.

Send your kids to Piano first for discipline and patience first before sending them to kung fu classes.

I think martial arts would teach more discipline than Kung Fu. My daughter is still rambunctious even with weekly piano leassons. I took many years of karate and am well behaved. :)

[quote author="awgee" date=1238408369][quote author="SoCal78" date=1238403570]I am thinking of starting my 5 year old son in piano lessons. I wonder if anyone has a studio they particularly like. There is one in the city's spring activity guide I am considering signing him up for -- Pianoforte in Heritage Plaza. They are offering group keyboard lessons - 4 sessions / 1 hr each at $200 total. I don't know if this is a good deal or not. I would be open to group or private lessons that are child-friendly. If anyone has a place they like, I'll appreciate the info.</blockquote>

$77 for 4 one hour lessons at Phoenix Feather in Lake Forest.</blockquote>
That's a good price.

Lessons in my neighborhood run $60 for <u>one </u>hour.

My son has been with Miranda for a year now and we are pleased because we wanted to get more serious about finding a better instructor. I think she has a very strong referal business, and that is how we were able to find out about her.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1238403570]I am thinking of starting my 5 year old son in piano lessons. I wonder if anyone has a studio they particularly like. There is one in the city's spring activity guide I am considering signing him up for -- Pianoforte in Heritage Plaza. They are offering group keyboard lessons - 4 sessions / 1 hr each at $200 total. I don't know if this is a good deal or not. I would be open to group or private lessons that are child-friendly. If anyone has a place they like, I'll appreciate the info.</blockquote>

I am really happy with Yamaha Piano school in Woodbridge Center, Irvine. They have group classes for young children. My son has a private teacher. Her name is Mizzy - she is very patient and talented.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1238488522][quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1238487101][quote author="bkshopr" date=1238486342]Miranda Woo in Northwood. 714.665.2469. Many of her students she taught since 5 or 6 are now enrolled to some Ivy League school, Berkeley, Stanford, MIT and UCLA with music scholarship. Her young daughter is a cellist with the privilege to perform with Yo Yo Ma when he is in town.

What are the qualifications to have her as a teacher? I've found that most exceptional private instructors will only take on students that are truly dedicated and talented.</blockquote>

You are so right!

She will only take students about 5 or 6 years old. The older students have to demonstrate a high level of talents and dedication. She also interviews the parents for their 12 years of commitments, She is booked solid 7 days a week.

She is tough but very good, Her Caucasian husband is much more patient so he teaches all the children and send them to the Shaolin room after acquiring the basic skills.

She also make sure her students participate in their local school musical talent competitions, state wide testing, and city wide competition.

PM me for the next recital or competition so you can hear for yourself before making this serious choice.</blockquote>

This gets back to another thread I posted earlier. How do you decide that you are going to make a 12 year commitment for a child that hasn't even had one lesson yet? That seems much more extreme that my son's 3 activities a week while we help him decide what his interests are. I don't think I could do a parent interview for something like that with a straight face. I'd love for my child to be a great musician, I'd also love for him to be good at a sport, a great student or any number of other things, but I sure don't think I could make a 12 year commitment for him at five years old.

Back