Pets can't find their way home in Irvine.

bkshopr_IHB

When we lived in Irvine we had a pair of twin Siamese cats. One black and one grey. The cats were kept indoor in our gated community. We have heard of other Irvine non gated communities the coyote wandered into the neighborhoods and dined on small pets. We did not have much to fear about but still kept our pets including a Chihuahua indoor and only allowing the dog outside with supervision.

The 4th year one cat decided to wander out and could not find her way back due to the confusion of cookie cutter houses configured all the same and the same landscape palette with the same scents that to a disoriented pet that could have been very confusing. We spent days, weeks, and months combing through the neighborhoods and posted many fliers on stop sigh posts and we never found our cat.

While we lived in Irvine families losing pets have been a regular occurances. In our neighborhood a new flyer was posted almost weekly and the HOA declared the postings were a nuisance to the aesthetic and has taken them down immediately.

Since moving to a larger piece of properties our remaining cat has never been outside finally decided to sneak out. We were worried sick that she would be confused and not be able to find her back. Because of the well defined setbacks and larger yards our cat did not need to find a larger space else where to amuse herself. She seldom wanders off the confined of our property. She goes out every night and sometimes stayed out all night.

From my observation over the years the tricky site plan, clustering of homes, the lack of yards, setbacks, repetition of vegetation duplication of foundation planters, cookie cutter homes with the same door location, and pocket parks that lured pet away from home contributed to the difficulty for pets to finding their way home.

Several times a year we had cats that came home to a wrong house and we had to take care of the cats for a few days and post fliers to find the owners. Later we learned all the lost cats lived in same cookie cutter plans facing south like our home but situated on another street or further down the block with the same landscape palette. We have learned to put out some potted plants or some unique door mat to create the important memory points for pets to identify the home. When the pocket parks are what the pets interested in then it would be challenging for the pets to finding their way home.

It is impossible to always keeping the door close when taking grocery in from the garage and the cats might have sneaked out into the garage and spent the night in the garage and when the garage was opened the next morning the cat could have easily exited behind the vehicles. This was the number one way how most pets left the home and never came back especially for detached condos when 6 to 8 garages looking the same in the same motor courts and 40 identical motor courts in the neighborhoods.

For people who love their pets I serious would take extreme precaution and carefully consider your choices before buying a cookie cutter home. In Northpark alone a gated community without coyote and uncontrolled exits more than 150 pets were lost in a year.

[quote author="tmare" date=1253495747]Maybe they just didn't like Irvine and were trying to find their way to Floral Park.</blockquote>
Maybe TIC just hates cats.

[quote author="Nude" date=1253496913][quote author="tmare" date=1253495747]Maybe they just didn't like Irvine and were trying to find their way to Floral Park.</blockquote>
Maybe TIC just hates cats.</blockquote>

<a href="http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/funny-pictures-cat-laughs-hard.jpg">I can has cheezburger?</a>

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1253495606]For people who love their pets I serious would take extreme precaution and carefully consider your choices before buying a cookie cutter home. In Northpark alone a gated community without coyote and uncontrolled exits more than 150 pets were lost in a year.</blockquote>

Actually the latest NP newsletter states:

<em>"Coyote activity is also on the rise, residents are reporting sightings along the bike path corridor and inside NP. Please do not leave pets unattended or off leash."</em>

So maybe all those missing pets in NP were taken as meals for the local Coyote. Though the cookie cutter design surely doesn't help lost pets find their homes again.

Bk, did you guys microchip your kitty? Supposedly all the animal shelters and most vets have scanners and if you remember to update your profile online you might get reunited.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> <a href="http://www.talkirvine.com/converted_files/images/forum_attachments/439_DKlTGgXasuPweVyrPCuj.pdf" target="_blank" class="gc-files">NorthParkNewsletter.pdf</a> <span class="gc-filesize">(82 B)</span> </fieldset>

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1253541361]I have a feeling that the missing cats and dogs has very much to do with culinary percularity of the Korean and Chinese ;)</blockquote>

Here, kitty kitty, <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5857/">get on the truck...</a>

I actually saw a coyote crossing the street on the corner of Quail Hill Parkway and Knollcrest over in Quail Hill heading up towards the hills about 30 minutes ago as I was driving home. It's the 3rd time I've seen one in the past year.

There are more Coyotes than you think. And one of the leading food sources for the local population.

House Cats. Also consider the Hawk population. Any small cat under a year is Hawk bait for a larger Raptor.

For every Coyote you happen to catch in the neighborhood. There are 10 more you missed.

So no its not the indigenous "Oriental" population causing the decline in the pet population.

Unless you have a LARGE clawed male cat. Coyote will almost always win especially when hunting as a pack.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1253546963]I actually saw a coyote crossing the street on the corner of Quail Hill Parkway and Knollcrest over in Quail Hill heading up towards the hills about 30 minutes ago as I was driving home. It's the 3rd time I've seen one in the past year.</blockquote>
Same here.

I've even seen one walking up Serpentine when I was out walking... at first I thought it was a dog that got loose (QH residents tend to think that they have the most well-behaved dogs and always walk them leashless) but when I got closer... it definitely looked like Wiley. Good thing he was either scared of me or wasn't in the mood for a BigFatOldGuy dinner.

I have known many families lost their pets in Irvine. Losing a pet to many is like losing a child. Are there neighborhoods not invaded by coyotes. NP is gated and shouldn't that minimize predators getting in? I know Woodbury has been invaded by coyotes.

Depends on the gate and how big the coyote is, and also whether your negligent neighbor left the freaking gate open (which I've seen on multiple occasions). It also wouldn't surprise me if they found some way to leap over the fence as well.

Gates don't work very well on coyotes.

I've seen them jump 8ft fences easily and they can squeeze through most of the iron bar type ones. What goes around comes around... as we encroach more on their land... they do likewise.

We have a lots of rabbits where we live now... we could use a coyote every once in a while (was that mean?).

Speaking of rabbits a few years ago I took a Chinese class at IVC and in the evening there are THOUSANDS of these little rabbits, everywhere. It was like the tribble episode from star trek

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1253495606]The 4th year one cat decided to wander out and could not find her way back due to the confusion of cookie cutter houses configured all the same and the same landscape palette with the same scents that to a disoriented pet that could have been very confusing. </blockquote>

This statement is funny because it's true. I often take my 3 yr. old son (who is not a cat) on walks around the neighborhood and as soon as we get back to our cookie cutter sub-division in Irvine he asks "Is this our house? Is this our house?" all the way up the street until we reach our house. Like cats, 3 yr. olds are also confused by the cookie cutter configuration and identical landscape pallettes.

[quote author="Irvine_Lurker" date=1253579725][quote author="bkshopr" date=1253495606]The 4th year one cat decided to wander out and could not find her way back due to the confusion of cookie cutter houses configured all the same and the same landscape palette with the same scents that to a disoriented pet that could have been very confusing. </blockquote>

This statement is funny because it's true. I often take my 3 yr. old son (who is not a cat) on walks around the neighborhood and as soon as we get back to our cookie cutter sub-division in Irvine he asks "Is this our house? Is this our house?" all the way up the street until we reach our house. Like cats, 3 yr. olds are also confused by the cookie cutter configuration and identical landscape pallettes.</blockquote>

Yes, same confusion with kids. Recently we drove out to Banning for a relative's birthday party. My son fell asleep at the beginning of the drive and woke up just as we arrived. This relative lives in a new development in the middle of nowhere but when my son got out of the car he said, "I know this place, uncle Joe lives here" He was referring to my brother's house, he lives in Irvine, the development looked exactly the same.

I dont buy the whole pets getting lost and cant make out their homes because of the cookie cutter designs. I know cats and dogs are domesticated but in the wild they travel very long distances and find their way home using scents or some other method. Ive always tested out my dogs knowledge to see if they know which home is theirs and when i have tested them they always turn into our driveway (granted its not a very difficult test).

Our neighborhood only has a couple of entrances so it makes it harder for a dog to leave the neighborhood, but i change our walk every three to four days to make sure i have taken them down every street in our neighborhood on a routine basis in the event that they get lost.

Im not an animal expert, but i doubt the cookie cutter design has anything to do with pets not finding their way home. When i was a about 5 years old my dad took our cats and dropped them off miles away from our house and they managed to find their way home.

one time when i was driving home i saw a dog walking by itself around a couple of blocks i followed it thinking it was lost and sure enough he walked back to his house. When i pulled up the house the frond door was wide open, which is how the dog got out in the first place, i rang the door bell and the owner came out and i asked if that was his dog, it was. He didnt even know his front door was wide open.

Back