Pest control

Leano

There's this pest control guy who calls and often knocks on our door to offer his services.  $30/month and he comes once a month to inspect and spray.  Since we've always lived on a condo before, we never had to get this kind of service.  I am wondering, is this really a necessary maintenance?  It seems I could do the spraying myself, and save us $360/year. 

Depends on where you live, there are some areas in Irvine that get lots of ants (actually most areas).

But some people I know do it themselves (one used some Asian concoction).

Did you encounter other pest issue beside the mouse?  Since you already take care of the mouse problem yourself, you could certainly take care of other pest issue yourself first.  Call the pest control only after do-it-yourself failed and even then, you probably only need them to spraying once or twice instead of every month.

I did see ants once and i sprayed on them and never saw them again. Btw, about that mouse problem, IP fixed our garage door to seal all the gaps. I dont see mouse poops anymore. Im happy about that.  :)

12 months of spraying pesticides is a bit excessive. Do you live under an ant farm? Also, you have to consider the toxic chemicals in the pesticides.

What's the name of the company?  I bet it has awful or no reviews (changed name) on yelp and Angie's.  Those walkabout pest sales guy are trained in scare tactics and pressure sales.  Stay far away and don't sign anything!  If you really need help, do your own due diligence, ignore the contractors that "just happen" to be helping your neighbor and in the area (unless you see a HGTV camera van!).

ps9 said:
What's the name of the company?  I bet it has awful or no reviews (changed name) on yelp and Angie's.  Those walkabout pest sales guy are trained in scare tactics and pressure sales.  Stay far away and don't sign anything!  If you really need help, do your own due diligence, ignore the contractors that "just happen" to be helping your neighbor and in the area (unless you see a HGTV camera van!).

The guy's name is Joe.  Don't recall his company name and didn't look him up yet for reviews because I'm not considering to get his services.  I am just concerned if I am doing the right thing (to not get the pro to spray around the house) since I've never hired this kind of service before. Thanks for your feedback. It made me feel better.  This Joe guy claims he's got most of our neighbors to sign up for his services and he is making us feel that we are the only one who has not signed up. I don't believe him but he is a bit pushy.

I lived in a condo with tons of ant problems, wasp problems, and spider problems but because I didn't own the exterior I didn't bother to do pest control.  Well, that's not true, I did, but only when it got super bad.  Just went to Ace Hardware and bought bug spray.

Living in CV, I got a visit from "Turn of the Century" pest control.  They were offering a new construction special with a rate-lock option.  I signed up with them for quarterly sprays. 

Residents in Mulberry has already complained about FIRE ANTS!!  Yikes!!  They've also complained about roaches.  I've found several spiders in my house as well.

Anyhow, it's almost bug season and I didn't want any of those problems with kids around.  I signed up and a couple days later I was talking to a neighbor about our house being sprayed ... just then a big wasp flew into our garage buzzing around.  Then it crashed into one of my moving boxes and died on impact.  Wow!  We were all sold that the pest control was working.

In addition to quarterly visits, they will come in whenever I call them with a bug problem and they will an extra spray.  I heard other companies offer similar services but I like the rate-lock option for new residents.

It's a luxury but it's sure nice to have with bug season around the corner.  The guy also cleaned all the cob webs inside and outside my house too.  ;D

Anyone have recommendations for either exterminators or ant products?

I just moved into Pavilion Park last June, and have had nothing but ant problems.  Well, and crickets, but crickets aren't quite as annoying.  I talked to the builder and I guess when Lennar builds houses, they just spray for termites and not ants!

I sprayed all over the place with Ortho Home Defense, but the genetically engineered superants that the military base left behind just find another route.  I can't find any colonies outside or anything, so I have no idea how they're getting in either.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Terro Ant Killer liquid bait, so I'll probably stop by Home Depot and give that a try. 

aziwoqpd said:

I just moved into Pavilion Park last June, and have had nothing but ant problems.  Well, and crickets, but crickets aren't quite as annoying.  I talked to the builder and I guess when Lennar builds houses, they just spray for termites and not ants!

I sprayed all over the place with Ortho Home Defense, but the genetically engineered superants that the military base left behind just find another route.  I can't find any colonies outside or anything, so I have no idea how they're getting in either.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Terro Ant Killer liquid bait, so I'll probably stop by Home Depot and give that a try.

Hey.. PP does have ants.  I had an issue weeks ago.  I pretty much sprayed all around the house and all the corners/baseboards in the house.  I don't see them much anymore.  I think I used the Ortho spray.

jmoney74 said:
aziwoqpd said:

Hey.. PP does have ants.  I had an issue weeks ago.  I pretty much sprayed all around the house and all the corners/baseboards in the house.  I don't see them much anymore.  I think I used the Ortho spray.

just a note that for Terro, it's best to use indoors. i tried to use in the yard. it actually attract more ants into the yard and because they come from many places, so i am not sure how long it will take to kill all of them. so i just sprayed and problem solved.

also having some ants around is not a bad thing. i heard that ants will eat termites.

I was o.k. the past few years but this year the ants got inside the walls and were everywhere.  I just got the Terro liquid ant bait yesterday and four or five of them quickly got a huge trail of ants.  This morning a few have no more activity and the others are down to a trickle.  The design is not good so it sometimes spills the gooey stuff but other than that, it seems to work pretty good.  My wife got another brand, against my wishes, and that one did not work at all.

Back