PENFED is DA BOMB!!!

[quote author="rick_r" date=1246938594]I had the new m3 Sedan. It was a great car. Unfortunately I was rear ended and the car was totaled. The accident was pretty bad but I came out of it with no injuries.

I had kids also and it was a decent family car when it needed to be, but also kicked ass on the track.</blockquote>

That's a nice car.

[quote author="rick_r" date=1246938594]I had the new m3 Sedan. It was a great car. Unfortunately I was rear ended and the car was totaled. The accident was pretty bad but I came out of it with no injuries.

I had kids also and it was a decent family car when it needed to be, but also kicked ass on the track.</blockquote>

Sorry I meant I <strong>have </strong> kids.

PENFED is great, but I had to pay $20 to join the national military family association and $5 to open an account to qualify. Other than that can't beat the rates, I got mine a little over a year ago at the 4.25% rate I R jealous of the 3.99%.

Well, karma's a bitch! Just got back from replacing all four low profile performance tires on my ride. $800 Yikes. I won't be poking fun at the MVPs(MiniVanPeeps) anymore.

BTW, RC I like your new ride. I was driving through Woodbury yesterday and couldn't help but check out the guy in a brand new red farrai with the "Bimmers are road kill" bumper sticker.

Minivans chew tires too... probably worse than sportscars. My dadmobile has gone through 4 sets of tires already... I asked the tire guy why and he said that most people tend to drive minivans like cars (fast accelerations, speedy turns etc) so it's really rough on the rubber... whether that's true or just his way to sell me more tires... I'm not sure.

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1246941763]Well, karma's a bitch! Just got back from replacing all four low profile performance tires on my ride. $800 Yikes. I won't be poking fun at the MVPs(MiniVanPeeps) anymore.

BTW, RC I like your new ride. I was driving through Woodbury yesterday and couldn't help but check out the guy in a brand new red farrai with the "Bimmers are road kill" bumper sticker.</blockquote>
Unless that guy encounters a supercharged or turbo charged BMW, then it's a different story (some have "AMG ETR" or "FCAR ETR" vanity plates.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1246943962]Minivans chew tires too... probably worse than sportscars. My dadmobile has gone through 4 sets of tires already... I asked the tire guy why and he said that most people tend to drive minivans like cars (fast accelerations, speedy turns etc) so it's really rough on the rubber... whether that's true or just his way to sell me more tires... I'm not sure.</blockquote>

We had a honda Odyssey Touring. Had to change all four tires at 35000 miles. Sold it at 55K. Now we have a European V8 SUV, it feels a lot securer on the highway then the Odyssey. We don't miss the van at all, but was helpful when the kids were small.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1246943962]Minivans chew tires too... probably worse than sportscars. My dadmobile has gone through 4 sets of tires already... I asked the tire guy why and he said that most people tend to drive minivans like cars (fast accelerations, speedy turns etc) so it's really rough on the rubber... whether that's true or just his way to sell me more tires... I'm not sure.</blockquote>

Just found this out the hard way last week, our 2007 Honda needed all new tires with only 20,000 miles on them. There's a lawsuit on those tires pending against Michelin due to the fact that buying/servicing these tires is next to impossible without going to the dealer ($325 per tire + rotating and alignment). This is the first time I've spent over $1000 on a car that is only 2 years old. Total ripoff! This same sentiment (the weight of the car) was repeated to me about minivans and tires last week, IHO.

[quote author="tmare" date=1246946463]

Just found this out the hard way last week, our 2007 Honda needed all new tires with only 20,000 miles on them. There's a lawsuit on those tires pending against Michelin due to the fact that buying/servicing these tires is next to impossible without going to the dealer ($325 per tire + rotating and alignment). This is the first time I've spent over $1000 on a car that is only 2 years old. Total ripoff! This same sentiment (the weight of the car) was repeated to me about minivans and tires last week, IHO.</blockquote>

So you have the pax system. The suit is settled, pending final judge approval. in your case, you will get reimb based on prorated amount assumign the tire should last 36K...you will get (36000-20000)/36000 = 44% of your total cost back.

Honda misled me, and I won't buy another honda if I can help it. Spent $2600 to replace tires and fix tires ( nail puntures cost $170 each to repair) during three and half years of the van ownership.

Tmare, not sure you noticed: the Odyssey is ver noisey on the freeway by any standards.

Interesting. I've gone through three sets of tires on my Honda with less than 70,000 miles. I got them at costco, so I just amused they were cheap and that's why they wore out so quickly. The costco guy claimed it was because most of my driving is on surface streets and someone else told me it was because costco uses nitrogen and that wares them out faster. My other car had over 100,000 miles and I never had to replace the tires.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1246952641]The costco guy claimed it was because most of my driving is on surface streets and someone else told me it was because costco uses nitrogen and that wares them out faster. </blockquote>

There's a lot of misinformation out there. Nitrogen fills are better than air, plain and simple. No drawbacks aside from the cost, which is included in the price of the tires at Costco. Not sure what "surface streets" have to do with tire wear; perhaps he meant that stop-and-go driving behavior can wear out tires faster, which is true to a small extent.

I caution anyone against judging a tire by its lifespan or price. Both are funtions of many factors, including safety. A grippy tire will wear out faster, but also stop quicker, all else being equal. For the most part, the best thing you can do is to keep your car's alignment correct, to keep the tires properly inflated, and to buy tires that meet the manufacturer's specifications. Pay attention to all the little details, such as speed and load ratings. Tirerack.com is an excellent resource for this kind of info. The last thing you want to do is compromise safety just to save a penny or two per mile. When you consider how much you spend on gas, insurance, maintenance, etc per mile, tire costs are practically in the noise. Also, rotate rotate them per the schedule in the owner's manual and have them balanced at the same time.

I'm reading the comments and so far nothing has made me cringe yet. The last set of tires I bought for my sedan cost $1200 and they'll probably last 20,000 miles. My coupe's tires are a little cheaper, but it goes through rears every 8000 miles or so.

Sweet car, is that Jezbel Black? I saw a blue M3 sedan go for $46k but I was stuck on a coupe and couldn't find a decent one under $50k.

I ended up buying General's Exclaim UHP 245-35-20. Did a lot of homework and decide they offered the best performance and price. I'm not go out track so I figure these were good enough. My last set was Sumitomos which I did not like because they handled poorly and created a ruff ride.

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1246960354]I ended up buying General's Exclaim UHP 245-35-20. Did a lot of homework and decide they offered the best performance and price. I'm not go out track so I figure these were good enough. My last set was Sumitomos which I did not like because they handled poorly and created a ruff ride.</blockquote>
Man, I didn't you foks in mini-vans and SUVs were going through tires like once would go through on a sporty car like an M3. I think the rear tires on the M get about 20k miles while the fronts get 30k miles.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1246959809][quote author="rick_r" date=1246938594]I had the new m3 Sedan. It was a great car. Unfortunately I was rear ended and the car was totaled. The accident was pretty bad but I came out of it with no injuries.

Sweet car, is that Jezbel Black? I saw a blue M3 sedan go for $46k but I was stuck on a coupe and couldn't find a decent one under $50k.</blockquote>

If you are ever interested I have some pretty good contacts at Crevier.

Yup, it was Jerez Black, Tan Interior. It had everything including the PDC tranny. The only thing not included was the 19 inch wheels. I wanted to put aftermarket HRE wheels but hence the car is now in heaven. LOL

I miss her but life goes on. Car kept me safe in a pretty bad accident. I thought about getting another one since the insurance fully paid me off but decided to hold back. I'm looking forward to the new 5 series and moving up to a new model m5.

Love the CSL m3. I still think the e46 is beautiful, if not better looking then the e92.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1246928908]

Cayci: Do you have any friends who LOVE having kids?

</blockquote>

My friends all wanted kids. I just hear the bitching and moaning as well as see the exhaustion and other non-verbal cues. I can't tell you how many times I have heard complaining about kids only to hear "Oh, but I love my kid/son/daughter. I don't want you to think I don't love them and regret having him/her". I get it. I have read about the studies: the act of parenting is a chore but that doesn't mean you want to change anything. The exception was my ex-BIL and his daughter. She was an unwelcome addition to his life (no, seriously, I saw the paternity test he insisted upon) and he became a loving but reluctant parent. I still miss that little girl and I'm sad I couldn't continue to be a positive role model in her life. She was going to need it, and I hope she turns out okay.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1246928908]

I just don't want you to think that having kids is a negative experience... after all... you do deal with Graph on a daily basis so it's practically the same thing (hey-yohhh!).

</blockquote>

ROFL! Actually, my ex was so much worse than Graph that he seems like a dream in comparison. But you are on to something there. ;-)

[quote author="Daedalus" date=1246956237][quote author="ABC123" date=1246952641]The costco guy claimed it was because most of my driving is on surface streets and someone else told me it was because costco uses nitrogen and that wares them out faster. </blockquote>

There's a lot of misinformation out there. Nitrogen fills are better than air, plain and simple. No drawbacks aside from the cost, which is included in the price of the tires at Costco. Not sure what "surface streets" have to do with tire wear; perhaps he meant that stop-and-go driving behavior can wear out tires faster, which is true to a small extent.

I caution anyone against judging a tire by its lifespan or price. Both are funtions of many factors, including safety. A grippy tire will wear out faster, but also stop quicker, all else being equal. For the most part, the best thing you can do is to keep your car's alignment correct, to keep the tires properly inflated, and to buy tires that meet the manufacturer's specifications. Pay attention to all the little details, such as speed and load ratings. Tirerack.com is an excellent resource for this kind of info. The last thing you want to do is compromise safety just to save a penny or two per mile. When you consider how much you spend on gas, insurance, maintenance, etc per mile, tire costs are practically in the noise. Also, rotate rotate them per the schedule in the owner's manual and have them balanced at the same time.

I'm reading the comments and so far nothing has made me cringe yet. The last set of tires I bought for my sedan cost $1200 and they'll probably last 20,000 miles. My coupe's tires are a little cheaper, but it goes through rears every 8000 miles or so.</blockquote>

The post above is So important. Keeping up with your tires is the key to getting a longer life out of your investment. Proper inflation and rotation are well worth the effort. Checking your inflation monthly and rotating every 3000 miles is key. Helps on the gas mileage too.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1247001176][quote author="Daedalus" date=1246956237][quote author="ABC123" date=1246952641]The costco guy claimed it was because most of my driving is on surface streets and someone else told me it was because costco uses nitrogen and that wares them out faster. </blockquote>

I'm reading the comments and so far nothing has made me cringe yet. The last set of tires I bought for my sedan cost $1200 and they'll probably last 20,000 miles. My coupe's tires are a little cheaper, but it goes through rears every 8000 miles or so.</blockquote>

The post above is So important. Keeping up with your tires is the key to getting a longer life out of your investment. Proper inflation and rotation are well worth the effort. Checking your inflation monthly and rotating every 3000 miles is key. Helps on the gas mileage too.</blockquote>

When it comes to cars, I'm clueless. That's why I stick to japanese because so far they haven't given me any problems (except for having to replace the tires).

Slow down when you make those turns and don't slam on the accelerator/brakes. I can't believe the way some family van and SUV drivers taking it to the road as if they're in a sports car.

[quote author="reason" date=1247009311]Slow down when you make those turns and don't slam on the accelerator/brakes. I can't believe the way some family van and SUV drivers taking it to the road as if they're in a sports car.</blockquote>
Because it's the only way we can feel like we're still driving one. Heck... I even changed the rims on my van just so that I can feel I got that "Fast and Furious" street look (maybe I need to add flames... hehe).

Back