Pediatrician and OB-Gyn Recommendations please

irvinenewbie

I'm new to the area and I'm looking for recommendations for a pediatrician and an OB-Gyn, or a medical network that you like.  We have one child now, but I'd like a recommendation for an OB-Gyn that we could use for a second kid.  Alternatively, anyone I should stay away from?  Thanks in advance.

Both my kids and friends use Dr. Galang at Irvine Pediatrics. (www.irvinepediatrics.com) I love how they have walk in hours everyday and can always get in to see a doctor by appt the same day.

For obgyn, I used Dr. Deborah Grouse. Office located at the hoag health center in woodbridge. And she delivers you at Hoag, which is why I chose her. she is great and so is her staff.

irvinenewbie said:
I'm new to the area and I'm looking for recommendations for a pediatrician and an OB-Gyn, or a medical network that you like.  We have one child now, but I'd like a recommendation for an OB-Gyn that we could use for a second kid.  Alternatively, anyone I should stay away from?  Thanks in advance.

Welcome Irvinenewbie & BettyBlue!

+1 to BettyBlue's pediatric recommendation. We also use Irvine Pediatrics and have been very happy.

Here are links to older threads that may be of help:
Pediatric Dentistshttp://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=1928.msg25397#msg25397
Pediatricianshttp://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=899.msg9505#msg9505

Thank you all. I had seen the earlier post but I just wanted to make sure people still liked irvine pediatrics. I had heard that they were turning into a bit of a mill.

BettyBlue said:
Both my kids and friends use Dr. Galang at Irvine Pediatrics. (www.irvinepediatrics.com) I love how they have walk in hours everyday and can always get in to see a doctor by appt the same day.

For obgyn, I used Dr. Deborah Grouse. Office located at the hoag health center in woodbridge. And she delivers you at Hoag, which is why I chose her. she is great and so is her staff.

Similar here, we use Dr. Gan-Yong from the same pediatric group... the 8-9am walkin is convenient... I like how she doesn't overprescribe antibiotics... half the time we visit we were just told to provide symptom relief (tylenol, benadryl, zarbee's, etc.).  I know some parents get over paranoid and want their kids on the strongest drugs when they pay for a copay, but people should realize the kid's own immune system is the best "drug".  Nurses are generally friendly and very quick with giving shots...  I believe each nurse is paired up with their own doc so make sure you interview the nurses too (there was a cranky nurse but not sure if she's still there).  Billing is always a pain with any dental/medical practice...  They use santaana billing and they actually respond by email which is more then I can ask for in a billing service. 

We also used Dr. Grouse when my wife was pregnant... They are busy busy busy.. like any other ob/gyn office...  the rooms are a bit claustrophobic especially when you have a doctor, pregnant women, and husband in tow... The Nurse practioner is really nice..  Dr. Grouse was actually the doctor when my wife was due (they cover each other and sometimes you end up with another doctor on the day you're giving birth).  So it was nice to conclude with the doctor we started with.  She has very steady hands as she caught my daughter when my wife finally pushed her out (somehow over the chaos/epidural my wife heard "PUSH!" instead of "STOP!").  I'm grateful for that..
Parking at the woodbridge office can be chaotic and the parking spots are small... if you get a 10am appt, good luck...

BettyBlue said:

+1 for both Irvine Pediatrics (we use Dr. Gan) and Dr. Grouse for OB.  My wife loves them both.

Thanks!  Moving to a new area can be overwhelming, particularly when you're talking about finding quality health care providers.  A bad tailor may ruin a nice pair of pants, but a bad pediatrician or OB?  Not something I want to experiment with.  Sounds like Irvine Pediatrics and Dr. Grouse are great options.

I do highly recommend Dr. Gan too. She being Asian understands Asian ear wax problem and blue baby butts.

davenlei said:
BettyBlue said:

+1 for both Irvine Pediatrics (we use Dr. Gan) and Dr. Grouse for OB.  My wife loves them both.

LOL!  I'm Asian but I don't think I understand Asian ear wax problems, but I do understand blue baby butts.  Maybe I only understand half of the issues b/c my kid is only half Asian.  :)

irvinenewbie said:
LOL!  I'm Asian but I don't think I understand Asian ear wax problems, but I do understand blue baby butts.  Maybe I only understand half of the issues b/c my kid is only half Asian.  :)

No problem! One cheek with blue spot and one ear with wax. That also means a lowered API score too.

Back