Payroll numbers out for December

Just a couple of points of clarification.

First of all, there have been large weapons programs that have been canceled by Republicans. A good example is the Crusader program canceled by Donald Rumsfeld (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM2001_Crusader) Republicans tend to view weapons systems in terms of how they fit with overall strategic goals. Democrats tend to view weapons systems as government works to support their Keynesian economic belief system.

Secondly, while defense is important to me, so are taxes and economic freedom. Though I do earn my living in defense, my skills are portable. Quite a few years of my defense work involved creation of manufacturing execution systems and engineering data analysis systems ( real-time SPC and DOE ). Outside of manufacturing, I have also created data warehouses for banks, and have a few scars to show from my involvement in a now defunct dot-com.

Should economic armageddon occur with the collapse of the dollar (the dollar reaching parity with the Canadian dollar isn't collapse, it is depreciation. The dollar reaching parity with the Yen would be collapse), then I expect to see a resurgence of manufacturing in this country. (Both for domestic consumption, and for export) And I don't think I would have any problem jumping back into the civilian sector should defense budgets come under fire the way they did during the 90's.

So in summary, I'm not Republican because I work in defense. I'm Republican because the goals of the party are closer to my belief system than those of any other party. (I'm also very comfortable with Libertarians and the Constitution Party) And I work in defense because I believe in what I do, I have skills that are needed, and it provides interesting work that pays well.

<em>"Republicans tend to view weapons systems in terms of how they fit with overall strategic goals. Democrats tend to view weapons systems as government works to support their Keynesian economic belief system."</em>

You are seeing the world through your biases on this one. If you don't think the Republicans serve up defense budget largesse, you are not seeing reality.

If the dollar drops low enough, foreigners will come over any buy up our resources and exploit them just as we did over most of the third world for most of the 20th century. Even out labor will be cheap if the dollar drops low enough.

I would vote Libertarian if they had a chance of winning. Right now it is very difficult to find a party to support given the total lack of fiscal responsibility being demonstrated by both parties. The only fiscally responsible president we have had since Dwight Eisenhower was Bill Clinton. Every other president -- Reagan included -- spent freely and ran up deficits. Quite shameful really. It was particularly upsetting to me to see the Republicans blow their historic chance under Bush when they held both houses of Congress and the Presidency. The lingering sense of betrayal will probably cause me not to vote Republican for a few cycles. If the Democrat is an idiot, I will probably vote Libertarian.

IR - I want to encourage you to vote for the candidate that you think will fulfill his/her duties as stated by The Constitution without regard to who anybody thinks has a chance of winning. Although I know the following does not apply to you personally, it seems "being on the winning side" is a large factor in the voting habits of many folks. The best candidate who is also likely to win does not need your vote. The best candidate who is not likely to win does need your vote.

Back