Paver contractor?

Looks like I can answer my own question here.

After months of searching/talking to different contractors and then sorting through 8-10 bids (some ridiculously priced btw), we finally took the jump and decided on a really good contractor for pavers - the company is called GoPavers (www.gopavers.com). 
Josh, Nestor, and their team were all very professional, a pleasure to work with, and dedicated/hard working.  They take pride in what they do and the end result speaks for itself.  We are very impressed with how quickly they finished ( a little over 1 week) and the quality of their work (curved/rounded edges, no signs of uneven pavers).  We are extremely happy with how our front and backyard turned out - gopavers transformed our outside area from a muddy/weedy area (we live in a new development in Portola Springs) to a place where my family can enjoy the outdoors for years to come.

So if anyone is thinking about pavers for their landscaping, give them a call - you'd be surprised how competitive they are compared to all the other contractors out their in Irvine.

Thank you Josh, Nestor and Team for a job well done!

The price per sqft ranged between $9-10 since I also did the driveway (for sure was 9 per sqft).  The price included routing/digging the sprinklers, rerouted/added to the existing drainage the builder provided, and routed the electrical wires for lights.  If you look closely at the pic i posted, the drainage is a 'custom' drainage provided by gopavers.  The plants were separate, but they planted them for me for an extra $200 for both the front and backyards. 

The one difference I noticed from all other bids was Josh included everything in the $9-10/sqft price (everything mentioned above, redoing of stairs, edge pavers in the back, and 2 pilasters in the front), other bids had the pavers between $8-12/sqft BUT added extra charges on top for everything else mentioned above.

Question:  Did you have to have your drawings (for HOA submission) done separately?   

The work looks really good and we'll definitely be giving them a call!

Gopavers came up with the majority of the design. However, since the HOA requires the plans to be submitted in a specific layout, I had to go with an architect to transfer the ideas on paper for me to submit.  This was all done separate from the cost gopavers charged me. This was a good thing since he came up with ideas/finishing touches that made our project even better.  Here's his website :http://studioberzunza.com/html/portfolio/

And yes, my backyard is 15ft. 

Cost was $600.  If you have the time and any CAD programs you can definitely do yourself.  We didn't want to deal with my HOA (keystone pacific) or have to resubmit because of format errors so we went ahead and hired him.  Cost most likely differs depending on HOA.

Thank you for sharing lookinginirvine!  Will definitely check them out when it comes the time for us to do landscaping.  :)

lookingnirvine, I noticed that the pavers go directly flush to the wall of your house.  Was there a concern at all with doing this?  There should have been a recessed area at the bottom of the wall to allow for drainage when it rains.  This design should be all around the house so you can probably check other areas to see what I am referring to.

woodburyowner, yes, the pavers go directly to the wall.  For drainage, gopavers installed their custom drains that basically blend in with the paver install.  If you look closer at the pic that I provided, you'll see what I'm talking about.  It's the circular drain near the center of the pic.  That is installed all around my house - gopavers also graded all around so that the water has no problems flowing into each one of these.

lookingnirvine said:
woodburyowner, yes, the pavers go directly to the wall.  For drainage, gopavers installed their custom drains that basically blend in with the paver install.  If you look closer at the pic that I provided, you'll see what I'm talking about.  It's the circular drain near the center of the pic.  That is installed all around my house - gopavers also graded all around so that the water has no problems flowing into each one of these.
My guess is that woodburyowner was referring to the apparent absence (or covering) of the wall's weep screed.

ar131299499714897.jpg

The stucco will act like a sponge and needs room to dry at the base of the wall. To visualize the difference, note the difference in time it would take for a wet towel to dry when it is hanging above the ground vs. when it is touching the ground. The space is needed to allow for proper drainage. 

I do not know if the 2" minimum to pavers is accurate of the current CA code, but the concept remains the same.

Hope this helps.
-IR2

IrvineRealtor said:
My guess is that woodburyowner was referring to the apparent absence (or covering) of the wall's weep screed.

Ah yes!  This is exactly what I am referring to.  I can never remember the official term for this.  Thanks for clarifying.  So pavers don't need to worry about this CA code?

woodburyowner said:
IrvineRealtor said:

Ah yes!  This is exactly what I am referring to.  I can never remember the official term for this.  Thanks for clarifying.  So pavers don't need to worry about this CA code?

If you'd like to get technical, the official term for this is the "qwerty torch-zone" where all of the black widows hide until his nightly vigil.  :)

There is a lot that goes into the prep work for the paving... On one side you have the physical work of leveling, compacting, drainage prep, and managing the volume of substrate. On the second side, contractors have to balance their time and monetary costs along with matching the requests and tastes of the homeowners.

IMO, the aesthetic appeal of the finished product is nice, and the work looks great. Just keep an eye on it and be aware of the potential risk.

My .02c
-IR2

IrvineRealtor said:
If you'd like to get technical, the official term for this is the "qwerty torch-zone" where all of the black widows hide until his nightly vigil.  :)

You are spot on IR2 - they try to run in there but they just die tired! Although a couple have gotten away.

Back