Parking in front of your house

Thanks for the update.

Did the wife ever tell you why they park in front of your house instead of theirs? Are they hiding from a repo man? I would think it would be more convenient to park in front of my house instead of my neighbor's house. Heck... it's more convenient parking in my garage.

Reading this thread makes me think twice about buying a house in Irvine.

Who cares about your neighbor parking in front of your house. It's a public street.

I wouldn't care that much if there was no room in front of their house and it was occasionally.

But if they don't use their garage, driveway or front of their house and park in front of yours... that would bother me... in Irvine, Vegas, Riverside or the Moon.

Resurrecting this thread ..

Is there generally an HOA rules that limits the number of cars a house can have? One of our neighbor have at least 7 cars as of my last count!!  (Two are parked inside the garage, two in their driveway and three in guest area parking) -- I know those in the guest parking area are theirs because they sometimes rotate which car parks inside the garage or the driveway.  As far as I know, the owner of the house are brother and sister, but looks like some of their friends also live there.

Not really a big deal since they never park in our driveway or block us, but the past few days, we have seen new people coming in and bringing in huge luggage's so we were thinking more people is going to live there and possibility more cars ?  All of them are teenagers or college age kids... I just hope they don't start having late night loud parties ..

Even with HOAs.. most places still are public streets so you'll have to deal with the city.  Only law in place is that they can tow after 72 hours.

There is an Aston Martin parked over here at PP.. been there for months and just forming it's own dust shell.  I contacted IPD.. but they told me the area has not yet been accepted by the city?  HOA said it's the city issue.  lol. 

GH said:
SoCal said:
Sounds like it's being used as a frat house?

So if it is one, do most HOA explicitly prohibit it ?

The only rule I know is in Irvine the ratio is 2 people max per room. 

If it's a 4 bedroom house then a max of 8 people can live there.

This is to prevent a house from becoming a hotel and other things.

As for turning a house into a frat house ... That depends on the association.  The one in WB is quite strict when a student tried to turn a 3 bedroom into a frat house and had super wild parties on the weekend with over 50+ drunk half naked college students all in that condo.  Surprised the wood beams held up.

Anyhow the HOA stepped in and in the by laws there was a line item that stated X number of people meeting in a house must have prior HOA approval.  So they slapped them with a fine a couple times and the parties stopped.

Hope this info helped.

Irvine has a 72 hour rule for parked cars.  If the car has visible damage and doesn't appear to be operable, the limit is 12 hours.

If you live in Stonegate, the PCM association does nothing about parking.  They will refer you to the police YET I received a letter from them that claims I am parking on the street in front of my house and storing my vehicle on the street.

I live in San Mateo 2 extension area and I understand there was one point in this neighborhood that the people living across the street had the ENTIRE block to themselves.  I forgot what their plan was called but it was just bigger motor court homes than San Mateo.

There was this asian lady that has a red honda accord that insists on parking in front of my house.  She lives 2 motor courts down and across the street.  I came to my house often during the day and night while it was being built and I never saw this car on my side of the street when it was just an empty lot that was fenced off.

The weird part is that the way she parks, she takes up 2 spaces and doesn't move the car for days.  Someone called the cops and they marked her car.  Then she moved it and moved it back 2 days later.  Then she parked there for 4 days.  The cops came and gave her another warning card.  Then a ticket 3 days later.

Now my wife parks her car on the street in front of our house because it's easier to load the baby stuff and load the baby into the car.  2 days later, we get a card on the vehicle that states we have been parking their for 72 hours.  GEEZ!

I live on the street side and so does my neighbor across from me.  He's the only guy that I talk to because most of my Asian neighbors keep to themselves.  I know it's not him.

So someone has a real problem with me parking my vehicle in front of my house.  This is crazy!

I think there some kind of compulsion to leave your area free and clean of cars, not use your garage for cars (but if you do it, you get nasty later from the association), and park down the street.

most HOA's require residents to park 2 cars in the garage for a 2 car garage and at least 2 cars for 3 car garage.  I see many people park on the street and use the garage as storage or work-out room.  Since I park in the garage and my third car on the street (before I purchased a single family home with driveway), I had occasional problem with folks around the corner on the other street parking their cars and not moving for days and don't use their garage.  I even saw people from outside the gated community park their car in our community street for several weeks collecting thick dusts... but the HOA and Nordic Patrol was too lax in enforcing the rule.  At my new community, I can part on the drive way or the street.  At this time, 8 houses have not been occupied on my street so it's no problem.  We'll see what happens in a few months.  Streets are shared so no one can claim the ownership.  But I agree, give your neighbor some courtesy.  Don't leave your car in front of other's house for days at a time if you also don't like if you can't find a parking around your house. 

Back