Park Avenue is my new favorite resturant in the OC

no_vaseline_IHB

<a href="http://www.parkavedining.com/">http://www.parkavedining.com/</a>

Here's the bad news - they are in Stanton on Beach Blvd, stuck between a trailer park and a used car lot - it's hard to find.

Here's the good news - it's worth the trouble to find it. The food is awesome, the pricing is reasonable, and something unheard of in OC dining - the pacing is good.

Full review tomorrow. Tonight is my anniversary.

Happy Anniversary no_vas! I'm sure your wife has forgotten any past car repair mishaps by now :) . You are a lucky guy.

[quote author="tmare" date=1238674411] You are a lucky guy.</blockquote>

Very much so.

I don't think she's forgotten the whole gear oil episode, in fact, I'll bet she <em>will never forget that one.</em>

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1238677187][quote author="tmare" date=1238674411] You are a lucky guy.</blockquote>

Very much so.

I don't think she's forgotten the whole gear oil episode, in fact, I'll bet she <em>will never forget that one.</em></blockquote>

But she loves you anyway..........I see a "priceless" commercial.

Happy Anniversary man. I was just telling my buddy yesterday how I actually enjoy the smell of everything in the shop; Everything except gear oil. Nasty! Hope it didn't involve carpet.

Happy anniversary! You're wife is an amazing woman. No seriously... I started to gag when I read gear oil. Blech... nasty stuff.

[quote author="tmare" date=1238704438]I think no_vas has a story to tell..........it's not pretty.</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/4888/">Adventures in gear oil.</a>

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1238707503]Happy anniversary. So which year are you on?</blockquote>

Eleven.

I am going to second no_vas's recommendation of Park Ave., and say it is a must go to restaurant. Cayci and I split the lobster mac and cheese (so good), Cayci had the pan seared ahi with a light wasabi cream sauce, and I had the mixed grill which is a tiny filet, 3 grilled shrimp, and a tasty lamb chop. BTW, they understand what medium rare is supposed to be, and most people will think that it is rare, but it's not. I wish we had room for desert, the peanut butter ice cream sounded so good.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1240140315]I am going to second no_vas's recommendation of Park Ave., and say it is a must go to restaurant. Cayci and I split the lobster mac and cheese (so good), Cayci had the pan seared ahi with a light wasabi cream sauce, and I had the mixed grill which is a tiny filet, 3 grilled shrimp, and a tasty lamb chop. BTW, they understand what medium rare is supposed to be, and most people will think that it is rare, but it's not. I wish we had room for desert, the peanut butter ice cream sounded so good.</blockquote>

I also want to recommend the riesling from Washington to pair with the ahi. It wasn't as good by itself, but with the meal it was excellent. In fact, Graph had the Ferrari something Sienna with his meal, and mine was deemed to be the better pairing.

I thought the sauce and the lobster in the Mac and Cheese was excellent, but the shells (not macaroni, actually) were a little too al dente for my taste. Graph, as mentioned above, liked it completely.

The olive oil available on the table was very, very light. Not bad, just not very flavorful. Would make a good salad dressing. I did try dipping the cranberry bread in it, and I think I'm going to be saute-ing (sp?) a veggie with dried cranberries in olive oil in the near future. The plain bread in the basket was better with the butter flowerettes, which were actually honey butter.

Edit to add: ya'll really need to make sure you refresh and check out Graph's new avatar.

[quote author="caycifish" date=1240141085]Edit to add: ya'll really need to make sure you refresh and check out Graph's new avatar.</blockquote>

<--- Hey... leave Deuce out of this thread, leave him alone and his new found pony loving ways. Just let it be!

And with much ado??..my long delayed Park Avenue review.

I got turned on to Park Ave. from a buddy of mine who teaches at Chapman. He?s formerly worked in food service at some of the swakiner country clubs and hotels in the greater Boston area, and knows his way around a kitchen. He said the food was good and the place looked like a ?70s bachelor pad ? in a good way. He?s never steered me wrong before, so I called about 5 for a 7pm reservation.

So, the high points:

The wines by the glass are fairly priced, and good selection. They offer Segura Vidos cava by the glass ? my wife?s favorite budget sparkling wine (maybe her favorite at any price). I ordered a martini ? which is gin, olives, and vermouth. The service was noticeably prompt.

They offer a $30 four course pre fixe special, with appetizer, salad, a filet minion, and desert. Being adventurous, we skipped it and ordered off the menu ? cheese/fruit plate, iceberg wedge salad (my favorite), I ordered the new york strip, and the Mrs. Ordered the mixed grill, filet, shrimp, and lamb. However???.a little wrinkle came up when Keary the server asked the Mrs. asked a question about how she wanted her chops prepared. Let me preface a little:

There are lamb chops, and there is rack of lamb. Many times people claim they are serving lamb chops when they are serving sections of the rack. Mrs. Vas asked it the lamb chops (that?s how they are shown on the menu) were really chops or if they were part of the rack. This is important because lamb chops need to be medium well (they need the heat to break down the proteins) and the rack needs to be rare. Keary didn?t know, said so, and excused herself to find out for us.

Keary came back out with an uncooked rack, plated and covered in plastic, and presented what they called chops. Impressive. Way past the call of duty. Kudos to Keary for going to the extra effort.

Did I mention the homemade breads?

The pacing was the best part of the experience. We were never rushed between courses. Service was attentive but not obtrusive. Presentation was dynamite. And the food was excellent.

Did I mention the homemade desserts and ice cream?

Later, the owner/chef was making rounds through the restaurant and I got a chance to speak to him briefly. I always like it when the chef goes out to see patrons. It shows that he really cares about his restaurant and his customers? experience. But I kind of knew that from his service selection. He told me that they continued grow month after month. I told him I knew why ? it was sincerely a pleasure to eat at his restaurant.

The folks at Park Avenue really care - about their cocktails, wine list, food, service, and their customers ? and they deserve our business. Give ?em a shot!

Many thanks for the review. I discovered chef Slay at one of his former St. Louis restaurants and had no idea about Park Ave. Never thought a restaurant of this quality would exist in Stanton too. Called and reserved dinner literally minutes after reading your review yesterday. I expected great things and was not disappointed in the least. Park Ave. is a true gem.

Back