PANDA's CHALLENGE

Nice. I didn't know this thread existed. Just popping in to say hello.

I'm up another 35K or so today. I'm just upset because all day yesterday and today my options executed all the wrong times. I would recommend using optionsexpress.com next time for a challange because it uses pretty real time data and orders are executed within 1 minute so you know what you are getting.

You can also trade futures there stocks etc....more flexible. I even think I saw their link on investopedias website. Just a future FYI.

[quote author="blackvault" date=1221865888]Nice. I didn't know this thread existed. Just popping in to say hello.

I'm up another 35K or so today. I'm just upset because all day yesterday and today my options executed all the wrong times. I would recommend using optionsexpress.com next time for a challange because it uses pretty real time data and orders are executed within 1 minute so you know what you are getting.

You can also trade futures there stocks etc....more flexible. I even think I saw their link on investopedias website. Just a future FYI.</blockquote>

Nice job Blackvault. I agree...Investopedia is frustrating w/the quotes etc.

Yeah I think I lost a little over 100K additional gains I could have had on GS if things even executed within 15-20 minutes. My 2 dollar GS option went up as high as 21 and then executed at like 11 :p Bummer....

[quote author="optimusprime" date=1221865612]Hahahah only 90 minutes to update :)

The orders finally went thru...hopefully my cancels will go thru otherwise i'll be short..oops. hahahah</blockquote>
I think mine took 3 hours to execute.

[quote author="skek" date=1221875627]The options system on investopedia is killing me. First I made my rookie mistake that in the end, set me back about $5k. Then I discovered what everyone else has been talking about with the high commissions, delays to execute and the dropped orders. Now, I'm just trying to get out of the options altogether. It's too bad, because I was looking forward to playing around with those.

At least the last couple of days have allowed me to climb back up to almost even. Not exactly awgee or blackvault, but an improvement...

By the way, a question for all you real traders out there. What is the best software platform for online trading (not power trading, but just a self-managed investment account)?</blockquote>
Graph, should we start a new game at the beginning of the year with optionsexpress?

[quote author="skek" date=1221875627]The options system on investopedia is killing me. First I made my rookie mistake that in the end, set me back about $5k. Then I discovered what everyone else has been talking about with the high commissions, delays to execute and the dropped orders. Now, I'm just trying to get out of the options altogether. It's too bad, because I was looking forward to playing around with those.

At least the last couple of days have allowed me to climb back up to almost even. Not exactly awgee or blackvault, but an improvement...

By the way, a question for all you real traders out there. What is the best software platform for online trading (not power trading, but just a self-managed investment account)?</blockquote>

I used to have datek...who got bought by ameritrade. I switched to td waterhouse...then they got bought by ameritrade. I guess my fate was with ameritrade so got tired of bouncing around. I've been using them for a few years now.

But right now, ameritrade is great imo. THey execute fast and on time. 10 sec or less is almost guaranteed on market orders.

Only issue I have with them is options. THey charge .75 cents per contract + the regular fee, which is still less than most places but its aggrevating at times. Especially when you buy low option contracts that cost 50 cents or so and you have to buy 100 of them to make it worthwhile. Could be a fat tab you are picking up...

[quote author="CalGal" date=1221881811][quote author="skek" date=1221875627]The options system on investopedia is killing me. First I made my rookie mistake that in the end, set me back about $5k. Then I discovered what everyone else has been talking about with the high commissions, delays to execute and the dropped orders. Now, I'm just trying to get out of the options altogether. It's too bad, because I was looking forward to playing around with those.

Graph, should we start a new game at the beginning of the year with optionsexpress?</blockquote>

I'm up for it personally. I used to fake trade with them awhile ago. I'll check it out this weekend again to see if they have something where you can have a group of people vs just your own fake account. As far as execution though on fake money they are the best I've seen.

Yeah... we need to find another source to play this game. The order execution totally sucks. I have a order that has been pending all day. WTF is that? I have had option orders go through at way higher of a price than when I first ordered it. I mean, come on, what trading platform only does market orders for options? If anyone has any ideas of where we could have a game then I am all for it. Especially since panda had technical problems with this one too, and he was the whole reason behind the game.

skek - Ameritrade is really great for what you want to do. They are also improving to have more trader friendly products. So, if you ever needed the crazy trading platforms they offer them.

I'm down for the game... although i somewhat of a noob... (*ack my back/neck/arm/legs hurt*)

The market did well for me today... i'm up slighly past where my pre-level were (on one IRA, and the other is -1.5%, and the two just regular trade accounts are up 30% (low dollar worth though) ).

-bix

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1221779374][quote author="PANDA" date=1221763430]Good thing i bought FXI in my Panda Challenge Account, not in my Real Account. IPO, fast forward 2-3 years, I think FXI is going to kick some serious butt. I believe that China will eventually decouple from the U.S. economy like gold did with oil recently.Panda</blockquote>

Yeah, I tend to agree Panda. I'm just messin' with ya. I have FXI in both my kid's education IRAs. Will be averaging down on it when January comes around and I can kick another $2K into each...</blockquote>

[quote author="CalGal" date=1222162269]I requested a trade on Sunday night (24-hours ago) and it still hasn't gone through.</blockquote>

Ugh... I know. I had an order open on SDS for $70, but it didn't go through for two days (yesterday for $66, and now it is up). I agree Investopedia is a joke. We really need to find a new source, and so we can start over with Panda and maybe blackvault won't get that PM this time. Er, I mean we just need to follow what he does. I really won't exclude anyone who wants to join, and I really wish panda could join.

CalGal, any chance that you have the spare time to find another source? I know we are all busy, but I really don't have the time right now. I keep saying maybe tomorrow, maybe tomorrow.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1222178099][quote author="CalGal" date=1222162269]I requested a trade on Sunday night (24-hours ago) and it still hasn't gone through.</blockquote>

Ugh... I know. I had an order open on SDS for $70, but it didn't go through for two days (yesterday for $66, and now it is up). I agree Investopedia is a joke. We really need to find a new source, and so we can start over with Panda and maybe blackvault won't get that PM this time. Er, I mean we jeust need to follow what he does. I really won't exclude anyone who wants to join, and I really wish panda could join.

CalGal, any chance that you have the spare time to find another source? I know we are all busy, but I really don't have the time right now. I keep saying maybe tomorrow, maybe tomorrow.</blockquote>

No, Panda wants to keep playing in Investopedia. As of yesterday's close i am at $109,223.29 in my Panda Challenge Account. I am not doing that bad right?

[quote author="PANDA" date=1222193664][quote author="graphrix" date=1222178099][quote author="CalGal" date=1222162269]I requested a trade on Sunday night (24-hours ago) and it still hasn't gone through.</blockquote>

Ugh... I know. I had an order open on SDS for $70, but it didn't go through for two days (yesterday for $66, and now it is up). I agree Investopedia is a joke. We really need to find a new source, and so we can start over with Panda and maybe blackvault won't get that PM this time. Er, I mean we jeust need to follow what he does. I really won't exclude anyone who wants to join, and I really wish panda could join.

CalGal, any chance that you have the spare time to find another source? I know we are all busy, but I really don't have the time right now. I keep saying maybe tomorrow, maybe tomorrow.</blockquote>

No, Panda wants to keep playing in Investopedia. As of yesterday's close i am at $109,223.29 in my Panda Challenge Account. I am not doing that bad right?</blockquote>

Sorry, but you had technical issues getting into the game. So, you are up $0. If you were in the game that would be a different story. But since you are not in the game, you are not playing. If we can't see how you are doing, then we don't know how you are doing. I mean can you see how my puts on FXI are up 75% right now?

[quote author="PANDA" date=1222193664][quote author="graphrix" date=1222178099][quote author="CalGal" date=1222162269]I requested a trade on Sunday night (24-hours ago) and it still hasn't gone through.</blockquote>

No, Panda wants to keep playing in Investopedia. As of yesterday's close i am at $109,223.29 in my Panda Challenge Account. I am not doing that bad right?</blockquote>

Funny..the namesake of the challenge ISN'T even signed up for the challenge :roll:

You're supposed $9k profit would barely be 4th or 5th in the challenge....so bad..no...but blah

[quote author="graphrix" date=1222178099][quote author="CalGal" date=1222162269]I requested a trade on Sunday night (24-hours ago) and it still hasn't gone through.</blockquote>

Ugh... I know. I had an order open on SDS for $70, but it didn't go through for two days (yesterday for $66, and now it is up). I agree Investopedia is a joke. We really need to find a new source, and so we can start over with Panda and maybe blackvault won't get that PM this time. Er, I mean we just need to follow what he does. I really won't exclude anyone who wants to join, and I really wish panda could join.

I'll do some research. I thought we could use optionsexpress as recommended by Blackvault, but after I re-read his post I realize it's only an individual game. I'm slammed at work as well.

I think I'm going to throw in the towel on this one. This is more frustrating than its worth it. I'm a day trader, short term investor, long term investor and all depending on the current market situation. A long term investment can end up being a 10 minute investment for me if the time is right...

I understand the 20 minute delay, which is fine and is still manageable, but when orders take 1+ hrs to execute and now my current options over 2hrs and still pending...its really getting old for me especially in a volitale market.

Back