Palmeras - yet another new IAC community

Sign went up within the past coupla days. Bare bones information is posted on <a href="http://www.palmerasapartments.com">IAC's website. </a>

Another sign on a gate says it's a Cal Pac Homes development. Hmmm; I had thought they only built houses.

Anybody besides me thinkin' that 7 brand new IAC apartment complexes in like a 1-mile square area is going to do glorious things to pressure on rents?

[quote author="cboy168" date=1208232771]Where are these located? Woodbury East?</blockquote>

Right across the street from the Woodbury Town Center (Irvine Blvd. side.)

Yeah I just noticed the Palmeras sign over the weekend and was quite shocked...waiting to see what kind of effect it will have with rent all around.

[quote author="socalhousingbubble" date=1208296675]Don't be shocked if one or more of these new IAC apt communities gets construction completed and then withheld from the market because of soft rents.

SCHB</blockquote>

I think you hit the nail on the head with that prediction. I bet they just get them built and then let them sit till next spring.

[quote author="socalhousingbubble" date=1208296675]Don't be shocked if one or more of these new IAC apt communities gets construction completed and then withheld from the market because of soft rents.

SCHB</blockquote>

For very obvious reasons, holding a completed, for-rent community off the market in order to wait for a rebound in rent rates make absolutely no sense.

[quote author="movingaround" date=1208492485]I noticed on the site amenities it said 'saltwater pools' - anyone know why the pools would be saltwater?? Is that a desirable thing?</blockquote>
It's not similar to a saltwater fishtank, if that's what you are wondering. It refers to the chlorination of the water. A saltwater pool uses a chlorine generator to seperate the chlorine from salt via electrolysis, hence the name "saltwater" pool. The water doesn't taste salty, doesn't dry out your skin like traditional pools, and has a lower maintenance cost over time.

[quote author="Nude" date=1208494183][quote author="movingaround" date=1208492485]I noticed on the site amenities it said 'saltwater pools' - anyone know why the pools would be saltwater?? Is that a desirable thing?</blockquote>
It's not similar to a saltwater fishtank, if that's what you are wondering. It refers to the chlorination of the water. A saltwater pool uses a chlorine generator to seperate the chlorine from salt via electrolysis, hence the name "saltwater" pool. The water doesn't taste salty, doesn't dry out your skin like traditional pools, and has a lower maintenance cost over time.</blockquote>

Actually, salt water pools do taste salty, I think you are talking about a saltwater system. They are an upscale ammentiy that initially spa resorts used and marketed as better for the skin.

[quote author="movingaround" date=1208492485]I noticed on the site amenities it said 'saltwater pools' - anyone know why the pools would be saltwater?? Is that a desirable thing?</blockquote>

Basically. . .no chlorine in your hair after you finished swimming.

I much prefer a saltwater pool to a traditional chlorinated pool. When it comes to building properties I think the Irvine Company is unlike any other builder. They already own the land. They are probably building with their own funds and/or little debt, at least compared to other builders. Vacant land is useless to them I'd think.

"Hey, what are we going to do with this land?"

"Well, we can't sell it to any developers because all the homebuilders are losing money, and people aren't buying."

"Hey, we can build an apartment community."

"Good idea!"

geez, almost forgot about Lion Country Safari. i vaguely remember an eric clapton concert and hopping the fence, sort of forgot what was potentially on the other side.

now i'm going to have to break out my refractometer and check the pool at OH.

TIC is pretty smart, once the land is gone they'll still have rental money coming in.

Back