Palin

tmare_IHB

I personally don't really have any information or opinion of her, other than what I have read today. However, I am very interested (as always!) in the IHB members' opinions. So let's start talking!

Its funny, I was thinking this morning how annoying it was seeing the same debates over and over in the economy/politics forum. Winex this, everyone else that, winex again, someone else again......on and on, over and over.......and i was thinking they should take the economy section out of the politics thread since its probably going to drag on and on for like the next year.

And what do you know...they are seperate now :)

my guess is tmare didn't know they were divided

[quote author="tmare" date=1220078276]I personally don't really have any information or opinion of her, other than what I have read today. However, I am very interested (as always!) in the IHB members' opinions. So let's start talking!</blockquote>

Tmare, CNBC had an hour long interview with her at 7:00 pm tonight. It was obviously something that was canned and on the shelf. But it gave a very good view of who she is and what she brings to the table. Obviously with energy prices what they are, most of the focus was on energy issues. But it also gave a good overview of her experience as an executive and showed how her mind works.

I'm sure that CNBC will rerun the interview. If you look for it, I am sure you (and others) will learn a lot.

I'm not impressed. It doesn't change the fact that McCain is a moderate at best and has changed the party's platform. Bob Barr is a better choice at the top and bottom of the ticket.

What bothers me is that she is being hailed as some sort of hero for given birth to a child with down syndrome. In this day and age, what kind of woman decides to become pregnant and give birth at age 44? Was it just total disregard to any form of effective contraception? Does her stance on contraception trump what she is doing to the child she bears at that age? To me, this is absolutely irresponsible. That tells me more than I need to know about what kind of judgment she has.

[quote author="norcaljeff" date=1220097297]I'm not impressed. It doesn't change the fact that McCain is a moderate at best and has changed the party's platform. Bob Barr is a better choice at the top and bottom of the ticket.</blockquote>

Jeff, did you catch the special on CNBC? If not, I highly recommend that you do so.

That having been said, if the election ticket were flipped, it would be easy to vote Republican. I'm still leaning towards Barr/Root, but I never thought I would serious consider voting for McCain.

Essentially the issues that I have to reconcile with myself are related to what kind of judges McCain would pick and his position on taxes. Regardless of anything you hear from McCain, he never was a Supply Sider. (Palin definitely is) But the choice of Palin as a running mate does lead me to believe that it's *possible* that McCain would pick Constituionalist judges.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1220098412]What bothers me is that she is being hailed as some sort of hero for given birth to a child with down syndrome. In this day and age, what kind of woman decides to become pregnant and give birth at age 44? Was it just total disregard to any form of effective contraception? Does her stance on contraception trump what she is doing to the child she bears at that age? To me, this is absolutely irresponsible. That tells me more than I need to know about what kind of judgment she has.</blockquote>

Green Cactus, thanks for illustrating why thinking people despise liberals. We don't need your approval to lead our lives as we see fit.

So tell me winex, my feisty right wing fellow blogger. If you were a woman, and the amnio results proved that you were pregnant with a Down Syndrome child.....what would you do?

[quote author="Trooper" date=1220100095]So tell me winex, my feisty right wing fellow blogger. If you were a woman, and the amnio results proved that you were pregnant with a Down Syndrome child.....what would you do?</blockquote>

I'm not a woman, so it would be impossible for me to put myself in that position. But if I was the future father of a woman who was going to have our child and I knew that that child would have Downs Syndrome, it wouldn't cause me to lose respect for the sanctity of life. I simply can't comprehend how a parent would want to kill their own child even if that child had a birth defect.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1220098412]What bothers me is that she is being hailed as some sort of hero for given birth to a child with down syndrome. </blockquote>

Well, yeah, especially in light of the fact that, "Down syndrome occurs in one out of every 733 live births, and more than 400,000 people in the U.S. have this genetic condition." <a href="http://www1.ndss.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1812&Itemid=95">Link.</a> It's not like she's the only one, or even one of a few. It will certainly be a challenge to be a parent to a child with Down Syndrome, no question, but it's not like it makes her a secular saint. Plenty of parents do it every day, and have been doing it every day, most without the money or power she has.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1220098412]What bothers me is that she is being hailed as some sort of hero for given birth to a child with down syndrome. In this day and age, what kind of woman decides to become pregnant and give birth at age 44? Was it just total disregard to any form of effective contraception? Does her stance on contraception trump what she is doing to the child she bears at that age? To me, this is absolutely irresponsible. That tells me more than I need to know about what kind of judgment she has.</blockquote>

No wonder I see people post negative comments about you. I don't care who you vote for, but to call a woman irresponsible for having a handicapped child?! Deplorable. Irresponsible would be aborting the child or giving it up for adoption, knowing the endless amount of care and attention that this child will need for his or her entire lifetime. There used to be a time when women gave birth at 15 or 16 and at that time the average life expectancy was 40-50! Newsflash--"In this day and age", advancements in medicine allow women to have children at later in life. Tell me this green cactus--If a woman is given the gift of a child, what is the exact age (which you have obviously decided) that the mother is irresponsible and shall subsequently kill/abort the baby? If you would like to debate policy, than do it?!. Your post was clearly NOT about politics. You question <em>her</em> judgement?! Who the HELL do you think you are to judge someone, anyone, political candidate or not, for choosing to accept the gift of a child, and RESPONSIBLY accept the challenge and the added burden of caring for a special need child.

Thanks for letting me know about the change in location for politics. I have a child with disabilities, however I have to honestly say that if I would have had the knowledge I have now prior to birth, I don't think I would have chosen this path. Go ahead and rip me apart, I'm just being honest. I applaud her for her choice, but it wouldn't have been mine. Apart from that, this is not the main issue. Her views are so different from my own on way too many issues. Was it a good choice for McCain? Time will tell, but I don't think it was a good choice. He's eliminated the "lack of experience" argument. Are we ready for her to be President? That's the real question.

That said, being a person with a child with disabilities has caused me to make very different career choices than I would have made. I have chosen less responsibilities at work in order to be home to help my child develop and become all that she can be (whatever that may be). I'm not sure how she will be able to do that if she is Vice President of the United States (although I'm sure she'll have more help than I do!).

<em>You question her judgement?! Who the HELL do you think you are to judge someone, anyone, political candidate or not, for choosing to accept the gift of a child, and RESPONSIBLY accept the challenge and the added burden of caring for a special need child. </em>

Hey, BMP. I'm a lesbian who would like to have a child. What do you think?

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1220100724][quote author="green_cactus" date=1220098412]What bothers me is that she is being hailed as some sort of hero for given birth to a child with down syndrome. </blockquote>

Well, yeah, especially in light of the fact that, "Down syndrome occurs in one out of every 733 live births, and more than 400,000 people in the U.S. have this genetic condition." <a href="http://www1.ndss.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1812&Itemid=95">Link.</a> It's not like she's the only one, or even one of a few. It will certainly be a challenge to be a parent to a child with Down Syndrome, no question, but it's not like it makes her a secular saint. Plenty of parents do it every day, and have been doing it every day, most without the money or power she has.</blockquote>

Whether or not she is the "only one" in the world with a child who has down syndrome is irrelevant. She is not the one who talks about her choice to keep her child - others do. She refers to her child as "perfect." You refer to him as a political prop. How shameful. How embarrassing - for you I mean. Whatever respect I had for you Eva, I have lost. If you have children - I have even less respect for you.

What bothers me is that people like you, who supposedly support a woman's right to choose, object when a conservative woman chooses to give birth to a special needs child. Why exactly does it bother you? Please explain - otherwise, apologize.

[quote author="tmare" date=1220101592]Thanks for letting me know about the change in location for politics. I have a child with disabilities, however I have to honestly say that if I would have had the knowledge I have now prior to birth, I don't think I would have chosen this path. Go ahead and rip me apart, I'm just being honest. I applaud her for her choice, but it wouldn't have been mine. Apart from that, this is not the main issue. Her views are so different from my own on way too many issues. Was it a good choice for McCain? Time will tell, but I don't think it was a good choice. He's eliminated the "lack of experience" argument. Are we ready for her to be President? That's the real question.

That said, being a person with a child with disabilities has caused me to make very different career choices than I would have made. I have chosen less responsibilities at work in order to be home to help my child develop and become all that she can be (whatever that may be). I'm not sure how she will be able to do that if she is Vice President of the United States (although I'm sure she'll have more help than I do!).</blockquote>

Tmare, I don't think anyone should "rip you apart" even you have chosen to abort! I believe it is a personal / family choice. Regardless what you do, no one should call you stupid. What is important, however, I believe one has to walk the walk, and talk the talk, espeically if he or she is running for president.

I have a very good friend who has a child with disabilities. I learned from him how hard it is for him, for his wife, and the other kid. I will never pretend I know what is involved.

Regardless who McCain picks, I will never vote for Obama, as I don't believe his main economic polices which is the main issue with me. I don't know how he is going to give tax cut to 95% of the people and still have money for his social programs. He wants to tax the top 5% more, and tax the business more; well, whom do you think the high cost of business and tax will be passed to? The 95% of the people who he wants to give a tax cut to!

At the end of day, with that policy, with the soical programs he has in mind, not many will net out a a tax cut. Average americans don't think this way, that is why he can get away with it.

[quote author="Trooper" date=1220101756]<em>You question her judgement?! Who the HELL do you think you are to judge someone, anyone, political candidate or not, for choosing to accept the gift of a child, and RESPONSIBLY accept the challenge and the added burden of caring for a special need child. </em>

Hey, BMP. I'm a lesbian who would like to have a child. What do you think?</blockquote>

In this GREAT country you should have the right to adopt or give birth to a child if that is your choice. And if indeed that is your choice, and this is not just a a hypothetical question--I wish you all the luck in the world!

I am catholic, and married to a somewhat influential Republican. That being said, my sister is a lesbian. My husband and I obviously love her and support any choice she makes. If she chooses to have a child--I will be ready, willing, and ecstatic to throw her a baby shower!

Back