Painting a new home

nytransplant

For those out there that just bought a new home.  Did any of you upgrade the paint?  If so did you do it before or after closing?  I was curious which way would be cheaper/easier.

nytransplant said:
For those out there that just bought a new home.  Did any of you upgrade the paint?  If so did you do it before or after closing?  I was curious which way would be cheaper/easier.

Sonoma wanted $3700 to paint all the walls different color.  I think that's way too much.  I am sure I can get a painter to paint just the walls for less.  Also, you would not have to settle for just one wall color for an entire house.  Personally, I would paint my kids rooms different color and leave the closets white as they do not get a lot of light.

$3700 is reasonable for a builder... for a 2500sft+ house... I think $2000-3000 is a good range.

It is definitely cheaper outside the builder... but you can't paint until after you close. If you need a referral, PM me.

Yeah, $3700 sounded reasonable from a builder.  We paid around 2500 to paint our old home that was around 1500 sqft.  Wait, that means we were ripped off?  :-0

fe9000 said:
Yeah, $3700 sounded reasonable from a builder.  We paid around 2500 to paint our old home that was around 1500 sqft.  Wait, that means we were ripped off?  :-0

We are talking about $3700 for changing the wall paint color from the builder, right?  They are going to paint the wall anyway.  To charge $3700 to make a single color change seems like a lot to me.

But the builder doesn't usually stock whatever color you want. They have "off white" in bulk and when they paint, they just spray the whole wall and ceiling.

To paint another color would require them to mask off or border the ceiling and all other areas.

And I'm not saying it should cost $3700, but there are some differences in a construction schedule and personnel/procedures is you are using non-standard paint.

FYI, you can usually get a good painter to offer a team at ~$300 per day.  You supply the primer and paint which can be had with discounts (i.e. AAA discount, coupons, etc.).

The end result will be much cheaper than the builder's price.

scubasteve said:
Coronado wanted about 4000 for a 1900sqft home.  I found someone to do it for 1300 after I moved in.

That's more of my line of thinking.  Plus I can choose more than 1 color.  Any decent painter would be able mask everything and paint the wall without much trouble, especially when the house is empty of furniture.

scubasteve said:
Coronado wanted about 4000 for a 1900sqft home.  I found someone to do it for 1300 after I moved in. 
$4000?  Holy ripoff batman!  Depending upon how many colors you go with and what kind of paint & the layout of the walls, you can expect to pay about $.75/sf to $1/sf to paint a home via a 3rd party painter. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
scubasteve said:
$4000?  Holy ripoff batman!  Depending upon how many colors you go with and what kind of paint & the layout of the walls, you can expect to pay about $.75/sf to $1/sf to paint a home via a 3rd party painter.

Is that figure for the entire house (walls, ceiling, trim, doors, etc) or just the walls?

Irvine2Irvine said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
scubasteve said:

Is that figure for the entire house (walls, ceiling, trim, doors, etc) or just the walls?
I don't believe that would include painting the ceiling and doors.  Most all people will not paint their ceilings as it looks kinda weird and the doors & door frames should already be painted in a standard white or off-white color by the builder.  If you plan on changing out your flooring and baseboards, it's a good idea to take out the flooring before you paint and the baseboards after you paint (unless you are going to shorter baseboards).  Also, put on your crown moldings after the walls have been painted. 

Back