Paint Brand

lnc said:
Maybe SoCal was using a special "house blend" of velvet paint that are resistant to adhesive.  Just think the advantage of no ants nor spiders can climb up those walls. :)

It's actually the opposite. I find velvet looks so dirty compared to other finishes. Somebody earlier said their painter claims everyone loves velvet. That might be true for a new paint job but not after a couple years, imo. If I recall correctly, mine is Ralph Lauren (it was painted by the seller). They also did some sort of faux finish to give it that brushed suede look. It has some slight texture or stippling to it. Inevitability, everybody's house gets cobwebs up near the ceilings. With other finishes, you can grab a broom and knock them down. Not this. Have to get the long vacuum hose. Dust particles floating around the house just cling to it. It's so "grabby". Hate it.

irvinehomeowner said:
So if the glossiness is causing problems with your adhesives, you are going more glossy with Eggshell/Satin (or is it the lack of glossiness?).

The glossier the paint, the easier it is to stick. The reason is because the 3M Command Strips work best on smooth surfaces i.e. vinyl, windows, doors. The rougher the surface, the more difficult. These are made to hold up to 9 lbs. so they need that good, strong bond. In addition, the directions say to clean the area with a little isopropyl alcohol. The flatter the paint, the harder it is to get a clean surface. I don't even have to use the alcohol when I do it on a smoother surface because it doesn't harbor all the debris that the flatter or more textured paints do.

SoCal said:
lnc said:
Maybe SoCal was using a special "house blend" of velvet paint that are resistant to adhesive.  Just think the advantage of no ants nor spiders can climb up those walls. :)

It's actually the opposite. I find velvet looks so dirty compared to other finishes. Somebody earlier said their painter claims everyone loves velvet. That might be true for a new paint job but not after a couple years, imo. If I recall correctly, mine is Ralph Lauren (it was painted by the seller). They also did some sort of faux finish to give it that brushed suede look. It has some slight texture or stippling to it. Inevitability, everybody's house gets cobwebs up near the ceilings. With other finishes, you can grab a broom and knock them down. Not this. Have to get the long vacuum hose. Dust particles floating around the house just cling to it. It's so "grabby". Hate it.

Could your paint be one of Ralph Laurent's special finish call "suede" or "antique leather"?  Those paint have texture and feel kind of coarse.  It looks kind of cool but not easy to keep it clean. 

SoCal said:
I've had velvet for three years and can't wait to paint over it. Nothing sticks to it. I enjoy using Command strips by 3M to decorate but they won't hold to this finish. Always have to put nail holes in the wall. Also can't tape off the wall when painting or hang a plastic sheet when remodeling a room. My workmen find that so annoying when they've tried to isolate a room. I'm picking new paint right now. Will probably go back to satin or eggshell.

I love the look of Velvet, I'm not a fan of Eggshell.  But what SoCal is right, I LOVE 3M Command Stripes and it has fallen off every time.  Velvet just doesn't stick.  In fact, Venetian is over at my house right now repairing my baseboard that cracked because my 3M Command Stripes epically failed and the item came crashing down on it.

Back