Owners who use property mgmt company - Fair Housing Guideline?

jyeh74

We are using a property mgmt company in another state.  In the past, whenever an application comes in, the property manager would forward us the application.  The application includes name and credit score and occupation, along with other information.  We could deny or approve the application.  This year, the property mgmt company filled the occupancy without even giving us a notice on who the applicant(s) were.  I asked about it and they said they cannot do that anymore due to something called "Fair Housing Guideline" because it puts homeowners and the property management company at risk.  I researched this but couldn't find anything about this.  I only found Fair Housing Act. 

Do those of you who use property management companies send you the applications to review or do they just place them for you?

But let's suppose that there is a problem with this tenant in the future.  Who is liable since the homeowners did not have any input on placing this tenant in the home?

The relevant contractual terms for tenant placement should be documented in your service contract for managing the property.

My management company (CA based) sends me the credit, income, and references of each applicant to either approve or disapprove.  The only change I've experienced is that in the past they would send me multiple applicants at one time to pick the strongest candidate, and now they will only send me one at a time, in the order they were received.

I would call another property manager or two in the state that your properties are located and ask their opinion.  This "new law" must be a state law because nothing like that has been passed at the Federal level.

Back