Own rental property? Your thoughts on how this could impact you:

momopi said:
[quote author=sleepy5136]
Moving to lower cost areas is a solution, but unless you're in an area without traffic, how realistic is it to do a 2-4 hr round trip each day to get to work? For example, working in Santa Monica/Downtown LA and coming from San Fernando Valley/Torrance/East LA? Its easy for me to say that because I can work from home, but we have to understand that not everyone has that luxury.

Rail is available in Santa Monica (Expo Line), East LA (Gold line), Downtown LA (Union Station), SFV (MetroLink).  An expansion of Green line to Torrance and new light rail line in East SFV is currently in progress.

I commute by train to work and the biggest issue is reliability with semi frequent delays and breakdowns.  Occasionally we get jumpers who commit suicide by jumping in front of the train, which cause 3 hour delays for the cleanup.  If there's a crazy person on the train you're also stuck.

IMO the preferred commute by train is Amtrack, because their trains have the best comfy seats, snacks/drinks, nicer passengers, and least breakdowns.  If you're purposely choosing to live near a train station, scout the stations ahead for amenities, shuttles, and parking.
[/quote]
I would LOVE to have trains and high speed rails like Asia that basically makes transportation cheap, affordable, and time saving. But with the auto industry being such an integral part of the American economy, it will never happen.

It's easy to say "I want a car and the freedom to drive wherever I want whenever I want". That is fine and that is why there exists car rental companies. I wish I didn't need to own a car to be quite frank. Paying thousands of dollars on a depreciating asset and needing to spend thousands more in repairs is a complete waste of money to me. Not even including the hours of time in traffic that I can never get back.

eyephone said:
People blame the institution, but how about the individual.
You can blame the individual. But did you ever see a job posting for a decent job that does not require a college degree? A front desk receptionist requires one. Because of this, the demand for college has increased and the supply is limited. Therefore, universities have taken advantage of this and have the entire leverage to increase tuition as much as they see fit.

I remember there was an analysis to show how much college tuition has increased throughout the years. It explained that if cars were to increase their prices at the rate that universities increase their tuition, the average cost of a car would be roughly $70,000. I'm not sure how many people would be able to afford a car if each car was 70k.

sleepy5136 said:
eyephone said:
You can blame the individual. But did you ever see a job posting for a decent job that does not require a college degree? A front desk receptionist requires one. Because of this, the demand for college has increased and the supply is limited. Therefore, universities have taken advantage of this and have the entire leverage to increase tuition as much as they see fit.

I remember there was an analysis to show how much college tuition has increased throughout the years. It explained that if cars were to increase their prices at the rate that universities increase their tuition, the average cost of a car would be roughly $70,000. I'm not sure how many people would be able to afford a car if each car was 70k.

Last time I remember, when we hired a receptionist she did not have a college degree.
I think it is the individual?s fault if she graduated from a private university and became a receptionist.

In regards to tuition increase at private universities. If people do not go there and went to public universities instead. The private university would either increase the fees or cut the fees. If that pattern continues they would have to shut down. (I think there was a private grad school that closed down due to accreditation and/or declining students.)

sleepy5136 said:
eyephone said:

Colleges can increase tuition at will because of college loans are guaranteed by the government. If that guarantee went away would a bank let an English major borrow $200k to graduate from an Ivy League school? Probably not. Banks would then only lend out on the ability to pay it back like they do with all other loans.

To me it?s that simple. Get rid of the loan guarantee and market will get college costs in line.

I agreed with Qwerty. Get rid of the loan guarantee and let the students be responsible for their loans and the banks will change their lending standard accordingly.

eyephone said:
In regards to tuition increase at private universities. If people do not go there and went to public universities instead. The private university would either increase the fees or cut the fees. If that pattern continues they would have to shut down. (I think there was a private grad school that closed down due to accreditation and/or declining students.)

UCLA admitted just 13,432 of the 108,831 freshman applicants who sought admission into the Class of 2023

UCSB did slightly poorer with only 105K applicants.

CSUF is a relative walk in the park with a 60% admission rate and only 1 in 5 opting to enroll.

USC, the private school, admitted 8804 of the 70,971 applicants.

None of which tells the real story.  USC for Fall 20/21 had 59,712 applicants. 9618 Admits. 

3460 Enrolled.

59,712 people chasing 3460 seats.

UCLA is much the same, that 108k applicants are chasing 6387 seats.

CSUF enrolled 5400 of the 45000 applicants in Fall 2020 and 4700 of the 50,000 applicants in Fall 2019.

Everybody knows what happens to housing when there is ten offers for every house.

nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:

UCLA admitted just 13,432 of the 108,831 freshman applicants who sought admission into the Class of 2023

UCSB did slightly poorer with only 105K applicants.

CSUF is a relative walk in the park with a 60% admission rate and only 1 in 5 opting to enroll.

USC, the private school, admitted 8804 of the 70,971 applicants.

None of which tells the real story.  USC for Fall 20/21 had 59,712 applicants. 9618 Admits. 

3460 Enrolled.

59,712 people chasing 3460 seats.

UCLA is much the same, that 108k applicants are chasing 6387 seats.

CSUF enrolled 5400 of the 45000 applicants in Fall 2020 and 4700 of the 50,000 applicants in Fall 2019.

Everybody knows what happens to housing when there is ten offers for every house.

There are many law schools that closed.

Back