Orchard Hills VS Hidden Canyon?

I'll just narrow down between Amelia/Trevi in OH or Marbella/Capri in HC at this price range.

HC's location has the advantage of been more coastal and super easy access to the major freeway. However, HC felt isolated and remind of an outpost or a fort for some reason. 

The gated OH is located more inland but the entire community with scenic inner roads and surround by avocado orchard probably is the most amazing village in Irvine.  Also the entire community felt more connected with other retails, school, and the communities etc. 

I have not visit the home at HC so the verdict still out but with what I seem so far, my vote is leaning toward Trevi or Amelia in OH.

I spent quite a bit of time at La Vita, Amelia, and Trevi...  and then I saw the - work in progress - models at Marbella.  If you haven't seen them, I urge you to...  In my opinion, Marbella designs were superior to the three in OH.  Lastly, of the models in OH, only the largest one in Trevi has 3-car garage...  A non-starter in my mind for anything $2m+.

... my two-cents...

liege168 said:
I spent quite a bit of time at La Vita, Amelia, and Trevi...  and then I saw the - work in progress - models at Marbella.  If you haven't seen them, I urge you to...  In my opinion, Marbella designs were superior to the three in OH.  Lastly, of the models in OH, only the largest one in Trevi has 3-car garage...  A non-starter in my mind for anything $2m+.

... my two-cents...

Hmm-Do you work for Marbella? "I urge you. Marabella designs were superior to the three in OH."

Hidden Canyon.  Orchard Hills and all developments north of Irvine Center Drive feel like the boonies to me. 

If you are spending $2.5m and have to buy in OH or HC... HC is the no-brainer choice IMO.

Less homes, closer to the coast and near the 405.

I don't like the non-walkability aspect (schools and shopping) but that's for 99%ers... HC residents will have a driver for all that stuff.

Just had a chat with my friend who was pre-qualified as VIP for HC from the beginning. All phase 2 of Marbella sold out.  He was so mad that he didn't get any of lots. Everyday HC is getting new QQs of pre-qual and the price seems to keep going up averaging 30k. There will be another 12 homes released for phase 3 on 3/24 which will also be sold out right away as before, i guess. He said it will be open to the public on 4/11 supposedly.

HC for sure for us, OH was not even a consideration. As I wrote in the HC thread, we're in Phase 2 of Marbella and much prefer this side of Irvine than where OH is. OH feels so far away. We lived in Woodbury several years ago and moved out quickly because it just felt too far from friends, work, etc. However, location is so specific to a buyer because if your work, social life, kids activities are on that side of Irvine, then OH is for you.  Lastly, view was a priority for us and there's not really that many view lots (if any?) with Trevi. Being close to the beach is also a priority for our family.

La Vita is not a comparable product, in my honest opinion.

Between OH and HC, definitely HC. Exclusivity, 3000 homes vs. 250 homes. Location, North Irvine vs. South Irvine coastal. Schools, TUSD vs. IUSD (even if you don't have kids, resale value). OH does have more recreational facilities (e.g. tennis/basketball courts, closer proximity to shopping centers/schools). 

In terms of design, Amelia/Trevi have more updated features and have bolder approaches. As some have mentioned, it may feel cold. The plans are practical, with options such as family study, prep kitchen, multigenerational suites, etc. Also, Trevi homes have the largest square footage if you add all the structural options. Only a few of the Trevi lots are optimal (large lots, view lots), and all of the Amelias are on standard back-to-back lots.

Capri/Marbella are based off of more typically traditional Toll Brothers designs, with a spin towards the newer style of homes with extended great rooms and open floor plans. The designs are more traditionally "grand" with the two-story foyer and double staircases in some of the plans. You get a choice of regular or large lots, view lots or non-view lots.

It's really based on personal preference, so wait for the HC models and decide for yourself. The salesladies at Amelia/Trevi were pretty straightforward when asked, and said some of buyers on their list are holding off and waiting for the HC models to open. Put in a QQ at HC if you're worried!

I just ran across another gated community in Irvine which, coincidentally, is also called "The Groves".  But this one is actually a mobile home park. I'm surprised TIC duplicated the name for Orchard Hills, which is just down the street.

Can you imagine the confusion when you mention "The Groves" and people think you live in a trailer park?  At least the trailer park is gated too (and zoned to IUSD!).

www.grovesinirvine.com

WTTCHMN said:
I just ran across another gated community in Irvine which, coincidentally, is also called "The Groves".  But this one is actually a mobile home park. I'm surprised TIC duplicated the name for Orchard Hills, which is just down the street.

Can you imagine the confusion when you mention "The Groves" and people think you live in a trailer park?  At least the trailer park is gated too (and zoned to IUSD!).

www.grovesinirvine.com

I thought this is a senior living community.

snowball said:
WTTCHMN said:

www.grovesinirvine.com

I thought this is a senior living community.

It is 55+ and owner occupied facility, meaning you can't rent out.  Not sure how true that is or how they can prevent it.  But if all your neighbors are retirees and stay home all day, there would be too many eyes to pull this off.  These homes do go for a pretty penny.  Amenities look nice, does your HOA facility have a beauty salon?  This mobile home park is across from the soon to be built Eastwood village on the corner of Jeffrey and Irvine Blvd, not that close to the Groves at Orchard Hills.

Hidden Canyon? Come on its in the middle of no where. Its called Hidden for a reason. Orchard Hills much more beautiful with the Avocado trees.

IMHO, my vote is Trevi model 1 or La Vita Model 4. Both are very nice but Trevi Model 1 on a bigger lot with views is $4 mm if you include options/upgrades. So the winner despite the motor court piazza, is model 4 La Vita in terms of value on a 12,000 sq ft lot.

Hidden Canyon.

1. IUSD, unless they gank the residents. Wasn't there a certain community that had to send their kids to Saddleback HS?

2. It's a "Coastal Community" that's seven miles away from the beach.

3. Traffic is worse on the 5 side than the 405 side during rush hour.

4. To me, the weather on the 405/133 seems significantly cooler, today at least.

5. There's a view, if you're into grassy hills and snow capped mountains.

I think OH wins for being one of the most gorgeous communities in Irvine, but overall when comparing, I think Hidden Canyon wins hands-down. Location being the most important factor of all.

We visited both, and prefer Marbella and the location of HC over Amelia/Trevi in OH, but haven't visited the other homes in HC.

Again, the only pitfall is that HC is not pretty like OH. OH is one of the rare locations in Irvine, and when you drive through, the beauty of it is unsurpassed by any other community in Irvine.

When buying real estate though, it's all about location, and HC wins hands down on that.

Laguna21 said:
I think OH wins for being one of the most gorgeous communities in Irvine, but overall when comparing, I think Hidden Canyon wins hands-down. Location being the most important factor of all.

We visited both, and prefer Marbella and the location of HC over Amelia/Trevi in OH, but haven't visited the other homes in HC.

Again, the only pitfall is that HC is not pretty like OH. OH is one of the rare locations in Irvine, and when you drive through, the beauty of it is unsurpassed by any other community in Irvine.

When buying real estate though, it's all about location, and HC wins hands down on that.

As beautiful as the Marbella homes are, I actually think the Capri models seem more spacious. The infinity pools in all of their homes really make an impression, but then logic says $$$ maintenance, but if you have the means to live in HC, that should be a moot point.

shadyoc said:
Lol everyone is praising the orchards like they are some premium ocean views.
Setting. The setting is praise-worthy. What premium does HC offer other than location? Even the location of HC is questionable, as the community is... quite literally on a freeway offramp. And I wouldn't even call it a "coastal community" as TIC, Toll Bros, and people here have been referring it to. If none of the homes offer a view of the ocean, it's clear that the "coastal" label is a marketing ploy.

Villager said:
Setting. The setting is praise-worthy. What premium does HC offer other than location? Even the location of HC is questionable, as the community is... quite literally on a freeway offramp. And I wouldn't even call it a "coastal community" as TIC, Toll Bros, and people here have been referring it to. If none of the homes offer a view of the ocean, it's clear that the "coastal" label is a marketing ploy.

Say what you will about the location, but it doesn't get much better in the city of Irvine. Even though there's only city view the temperature is many degrees cooler than further inland during the summer. If you look at the map you see that HC is 3 miles away from the 405, buffered by LA. It offers easy access without the drawback of proximity to the freeway. It certainly beats the 20 minutes it takes to get to the 405 from OH.

OH is a beantiful community. It has more parks and amenities than HC. I love all the trees in the surrounding area. But, in real estate location is everything. From that perspective, there's no comparison.

Back