Orchard Hills Update Website

<p>Hmm...I don't understand your confusion or see a contradiction in my posts. Can't I have the option of being market neutral? Or does the fact that one does not see an impending crash make them a raging bull?</p>

<p> </p>

marty mcfly,

The certainty of the statement "not going to happen" does not seem market neutral, particularly when followed by a bullish anecdote. Perhaps I am reading more into your statement than what is there. Let's not get off on the wrong foot.

Personally, I like contrary opinions on the board. If they are well thought out and backed by some analysis or anecdotal fact (like your example above), it is a good counterbalance to the bear market examples we post on the main blog. If we were a pure bear market blog, we would have driven away nirvinerealtor long ago.

I don't know anything about the project you mentioned, but here in Irvine, even the realtors are dumping their high-end flips. Check out these posts: <a title="Permanent Link to Whiner, Whiner, Whiner" rel="bookmark" href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/2007/05/01/whiner/" set="yes">Whiner, Whiner, Whiner</a>, <a title="Permanent Link to The City of Lights" rel="bookmark" href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/2007/05/04/the-city-of-lights/" set="yes">The City of Lights</a>.

Ugh, those "high end" houses in Irvine are just flat out old, ugly and overpriced... I supposed when you compare that $1M house built in the 70s to a brand new $1M house where you have the fun of customizing your options, there's no comparison. It's not surprising that a lot of people out there have the money and are willing to pay a premium for a brand new, high end home.

<p>sportsfan8,</p>

<p>I am a fan of brand new home for the following reasons:</p>

<p>1. Hot spot for school-age children - lively-new neighborhood schools. Older neighborhoods are closing down neighborhood schools. I have children so this is a very important factor.</p>

<p>2. New house smells good. No musty smell as that kills me.</p>

<p>3. Maintenance cost for new house is minimum as the builder warrants structural damages for 10 years. An important cost I do not have to budget for.</p>

<p>4. Everyone likes new so the appreciation rate is better; thus better for resale.</p>

<p>nirvinerealtor,

I know all about brand new homes, as I purchased my 2/2.5 home back in '02. It's just amazing that those new high end $1M+ home are selling so well. Suffice to say, unless I hit the lotto or something, I won't be able to afford a $1M+ home in my lifetime. The wife and I would like to move up to a bigger home someday when we have kids... is a new 1800 sq foot single family home in Irvine with a decent sized yard that won't cost an arm and a leg too much to ask?</p>

"not going to happen"

Only time will tell. *shrug*

If TIC is looking for market data among those who have already expressed interest in OH, don't they deserve my honest answer?

"If there is a will, there is a way! Go for it! Be creative and think out of a box."

Um, isn't that what caused the subprime mess?

<p>ELS,</p>

<p>Mortgage payments from a subprime loan are sky high and I do not know anyone who can afford that type of payment; so, NO, that would be a wrong way.</p>

Red, remember that, while TUSD has the drawback of Tustin High, half of Orchard will definitely feed into Beckman, which is quality. Of course, Northwood is superior, but worrying about Beckman is not cause for concern. . . That is extremely weird though to split Orchard up. Those high schools are so close together, and in different districts. I'm sure there all of the housing built over the years necessitated that, or that there is some other story behind their strange proximity.

I forgot to mention: I think the shopping center opens 6/1. We received a postcard from a business relocating to OH and it is having a grand opening on 6/1.

And looky here - Zov's will be opening another restaurant at the OH shopping center: http://www.accessmylibrary.com/comsite5/bin/pdinventory.pl?pdlanding=1&referid=2930&purchase_type=ITM&item_id=0286-18432179

<p>Apparently the plan for this community won an award. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/local/irvine/article_1752669.php">www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/local/irvine/article_1752669.php</a></p>

<p>Does that mean an additional $100K per unit? </p>

<p>ELS,</p>

<p>Thanks for the link.</p>

<p>Winner of 560 entries, I think it's really impressive. I drove up the neighborhoods and was very impressed with land layout, openess, very good feel. I like the 2 secluded guard shacks, very classy.</p>

<p>My research showed the community calls Northpark also was a winner of 200 entries back in 1998. </p>

<p>EvaLS-</p>

<p>Thanks for giving us a live hyperlink. You come up with a great number of interesting articles but but they are often dead, requiring cut and paste.</p>

<p>It is appreciated.</p>

<p>SCHB</p>

Yeah, sadly I just figured out how to do that this afternoon. What's worse, I know the html for live links but couldn't figure out the "easy" tool provided here.

Orchard Hills looks perfect, good schools, open space, I'm afraid to look at what the HOA and mello roo fees will be like. I drove up there to take a look and lot of progress is being made, tons of trucks dumping off dirt. I just wish I knew more information on plans and prices. Let's hope there's enough of a correction to allow TIC to reassess their pricing strategy... following PS and Woodbury

This was probably posted somewhere but since this is the Orchard Hill thread:

<a href="http://irvinecompany.com/aboutus/News.asp?type=news&archive=&release=1043&category=17&cid="><strong>ORCHARD HILLS VILLAGE CENTER OPENS FIRST STORES</strong></a>

6/4/07

http://irvinecompany.com/aboutus/News.asp?type=news&archive=&release=1043&category=17&cid=

<p><em>"I just wish I knew more information on plans and prices."</em></p>

<p>BG - I have bad news for you. Postcards were sent out to those who registered with TIC as interested and the card asked for the person's price range. The pricing <em>started</em> at $1.25M. </p>

<p>I don't want to know about HOA and Mello Roos either, although the first of the Mello Roos bonds should have been issued in May. I guess I should spend some time trying to get the OS for those. </p>

Yeah I saw that earlier up in the thread about starting at 1.25M, which is at the top end of my budget... However, mid 2008 is a year away and lots of downward pressure may occur over the next 12-18 months. <p>

Maybe it's wishful thinking, maybe TIC will still be drinking the kool aid, but maybe pricing will start at 1M for say a 2700-2800 sq ft home with a decent sized lot, space between the neighbors and an open feeling that is sooo lacking in irvine.<p> Then again, that's about what they're charging in Woodbury... sigh.

the only builders set to builder at OH are laing and Laing Luxury because of their non-stop funding from Emaar. all other builders have bailed! YIKES!

irvine company wanted richmond to re-use and modify our windward product but we had backed out...also, brookfield was wanted to use their ziani product but then they backed out. TIC wants all the project to be Newport Coast level and above...Good luck building Newport Coast homes on a dump in east irvine and asking 2m+ while you cant even sell homes in portola springs!

Back