Orchard Hills - Strada by Irvine Pacific

The lot sizes for the 3s on the Strada availability map are not big.  Personally, my selection preference will be for the biggest lot size over exterior elevation. 

If I was buying in Strada now, I'd go for the lots in Thoroughbred in the upcoming phases - not current phase - as I mentioned above (and which appear a bit larger): "On reflection, I'd go for a lot on the east side of Thoroughbred in the upcoming phase for the simple reason that you'll have more chance of a view of the hills from your living room, master bedroom and bonus room.  Facing the other way, you'll have a view of rooftops". 

AS makes a good point about the aspect of the house if you prefer afternoon shade over afternoon sun in your living areas.

When there are dozens of acceptable lots remaining, you can be very selective with the elevations. When Strada's down to a few remaining phases and maybe a few lots you're interested in, elevation is probably far down your priority list.

DrTravel said:
Looking for some opinions from all of the aesthetic experts out there. Thinking about buying a Strada plan 3. There are two upcoming lots which meet our location requirements - one is the Formal Spanish exterior and the other is the Northern Italian. I will post pictures of the two. The Formal Spanish looks good although it is a little pink. We are not crazy about the lack of a roof overhang at the front, the short roof overhang on the sides and the fact that the main entrance door is flush with the front wall.

For what it's worth, and assuming the lots are similarly sized and located, I prefer the Spanish Plan 3; and I like the color scheme! There's a pinkish Spanish elevation house to the left and behind ours. It looks good. There are some cool Spanish style options for your landscaping - an adobe fireplace!

Jonah said:
Plan 2 Rental in Copper Mine at $4600 per month.  Doesn't look like there are any upgrades apart from the conservatory.  Small backyard. 
http://m.surterreproperties.com/#details/OC16013326

Great, another one.  We have one renter on our street full of "foreign" rich kids driving 911s and Bentleys that likes to park on the wrong side of the street. 

But they are not the worse.  There's a family down the street that recently bought a white C7 vette.  They like to rev the engine really loud and peel out up and down the community streets.  Idiots.

TJinOH said:
Jonah said:
Plan 2 Rental in Copper Mine at $4600 per month.  Doesn't look like there are any upgrades apart from the conservatory.  Small backyard. 

Great, another one.  We have one renter on our street full of "foreign" rich kids driving 911s and Bentleys that likes to park on the wrong side of the street. 

But they are not the worse.  There's a family down the street that recently bought a white C7 vette.  They like to rev the engine really loud and peel out up and down the community streets.  Idiots.

How did you get so lucky to have Saudi royalty moving to OH?

/sarcasm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZctCodzytDs

Perspective said:
Jonah said:
I was wondering who's the idiot revving the car. 

Link to the other Plan 2 rental in Copper Mine.  They're practically the same.  Wonder how long they'll take to rent.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/102-Copper-Mine_Irvine_CA_92602_M29652-06549

This one includes some upgrades and a setback of 14' rather than 10' like the one two doors down, but it's not at the end of the cul-de-sac. They're both asking $4,600.

Yes, having had a proper look now, I see the differences and the upgrades in the second property - backsplash, countertop, glass in upper cabinets in kitchen, and tile throughout.  Depends on the needs of the tenant of course, but I'd go for the one with the larger backyard.  Either way though, all those houses will be very inconvenienced when building starts behind them!

Perspective said:
Jonah said:

The "investor" at 106 Copper Mine has gone rogue and is having backyard landscaping done. Maybe s/he received an expedited one-week approval from the HOA?
That's called "Doin' the qwerrrrrtty".

We signed a purchase contract for a Plan 3 on Saturday (16' setback with a conservatory) - so now it's options time!. We were already past the cut-off dates for stage 2 options but we are going to try to add ceiling fan j-boxes and a privacy door between the master bedroom and bath. Doesn't hurt to ask.

We are looking at buying affordable options that actually make the house practically better, i.e. under counter sinks in the master bath as they are easier to clean than those sinks that rest on top of the counter. Not going to go hog wild on $6K master bath shower tiles. So what kind of options did you Strada buyers pick out?

Does anyone know how they laid out the default flooring on the first floor? Looks like tiles in the entry, kitchen and dining but carpet in the great room/conservatory. Just wondering where they put the demarcation line between tile and carpet. Were the design center flooring prices even close to competitive with outside contractors?

DrTravel said:
We signed a purchase contract for a Plan 3 on Saturday (16' setback with a conservatory) - so now it's options time!. We were already past the cut-off dates for stage 2 options but we are going to try to add ceiling fan j-boxes and a privacy door between the master bedroom and bath. Doesn't hurt to ask.

We are looking at buying affordable options that actually make the house practically better, i.e. under counter sinks in the master bath as they are easier to clean than those sinks that rest on top of the counter. Not going to go hog wild on $6K master bath shower tiles. So what kind of options did you Strada buyers pick out?

Does anyone know how they laid out the default flooring on the first floor? Looks like tiles in the entry, kitchen and dining but carpet in the great room/conservatory. Just wondering where they put the demarcation line between tile and carpet. Were the design center flooring prices even close to competitive with outside contractors?

Congrats. That 16' setback is 60% bigger than the models' backyards - gives you some options. The design center prices will gouge you. They'll share where the standard flooring options will lie.

My appraisal listed five other Strada houses' upgrade costs. There wasn't one below $50K, and there was one above $120K. The CA room/conservatory cost is included in the upgrade price. We paid IP to do hardwood flooring everywhere but the bathrooms, and the cost was $40K.

Perspective said:
DrTravel said:

Congrats. That 16' setback is 60% bigger than the models' backyards - gives you some options. The design center prices will gouge you. They'll share where the standard flooring options will lie.

My appraisal listed five other Strada houses' upgrade costs. There wasn't one below $50K, and there was one above $120K. The CA room/conservatory cost is included in the upgrade price. We paid IP to do hardwood flooring everywhere but the bathrooms, and the cost was $40K.

why did you get builder to do flooring?  How big is your house if you dont mind me asking. 

hello said:
Perspective said:

why did you get builder to do flooring?  How big is your house if you dont mind me asking.

The primary reason is probably because I visited many flooring showrooms to view as many hardwood options as possible, and I had a strong "used car lot" feeling at each one. I also wanted it all done at COE, and done perfectly with a warranty behind which I knew IP would stand. It's nice to pay the cost over thirty years at an effective 2% rate too, even at the premium price.

I have no regrets as this new house continues to be a money pit. From painting, garage racks, new furniture, light fixtures, etc., it continues to drain cash. Next up? Backyard landscaping.

DrTravel said:

Congratulations, welcome to the neighborhood.  Conservatory is an excellent upgrade - maximizing sqf and allowing more light into your living space than a California Room upgrade. 

I spent a lot on the electrical, insulation, upgraded kitchen and bathroom countertops, and flooring downstairs.  If you're on the fence about upgrading downstairs flooring then my advice is to just do it and do it through the builder for the warranty.  I was initially going to do flooring after COE but changed my mind at the last minute.  If you decide to stay with standard, the line between the carpet and tile in the Plan 3 is at the last cabinet near the dining area (so it just covers the island) through to the pantry.  You can extend the standard tile in the entry through to what they call the "down hall" (outside the powder room, so entire entrance, hallway and powder room have standard tile) for additional cost.  If choosing standard carpet, get the thicker pad.

I did a lot of stuff after COE, I blew my original budget substantially but don't regret it. 

I was on the top side of the neighborhood on Saturday (Orchard Hills Dr.) and noticed that framing is well underway on Iron Horse and they're grading Thoroughbred. That leaves the sales parking lot for full build-out. Will we see them tearing out the asphalt in the sales parking lot any day now? Crazy sales pace - rivals Pavilion Park.

Back