Orchard Hills - Strada by Irvine Pacific

It's not a majority taste so there's that.

I like them but I'm into lighter kitchen design now... white cabinets and light countertops.

If you like them and plan to stay for a while, go for it... but if you think you will sell in 5-10 years, you may want to consider something more mainstream.

bones said:
Perspective said:
bones said:
Perspective said:
Okay, opinions requested. Here's a kitchen pic with the sage (grayish) cabinets available in the first tier of cabinet finish upgrades at Strada. I'd pair the cabinets with white/light gray counters and lighter wood floors.

What answer would you like us to tell you? :)
I can be convincing either way.

I know this stain would look great with what I have planned. I want to know what a buyer touring my house might think. I think this is a good forum for those honest responses.

Sure but I feel like you've asked this question before? So I thought you just wanted the masses to agree with whatever you already picked in your mind. I would not NOT buy a house if this was the cabinet color choice but if I was re-doing a kitchen, this would not be my first choice color.

Yes, asked before, but with a sample cabinet pic. This is a whole kitchen pic making judgment much easier.

It looks good however my personal preference is white cabinet for small/medium sized home.  I also find it a bit of a mismatch with the white door and white crown moulding (if you install the same one). 

Perspective said:
bones said:
Perspective said:
bones said:
Perspective said:
Okay, opinions requested. Here's a kitchen pic with the sage (grayish) cabinets available in the first tier of cabinet finish upgrades at Strada. I'd pair the cabinets with white/light gray counters and lighter wood floors.

What answer would you like us to tell you? :)
I can be convincing either way.

I know this stain would look great with what I have planned. I want to know what a buyer touring my house might think. I think this is a good forum for those honest responses.

Sure but I feel like you've asked this question before? So I thought you just wanted the masses to agree with whatever you already picked in your mind. I would not NOT buy a house if this was the cabinet color choice but if I was re-doing a kitchen, this would not be my first choice color.

Yes, asked before, but with a sample cabinet pic. This is a whole kitchen pic making judgment much easier.

To be fair, your original question didn't really spell out what you are asking like your subsequent question.  Looks like the poo poo color cabinets get a thumbs down.

Harajuku said:
It looks good however my personal preference is white cabinet for small/medium sized home.  I also find it a bit of a mismatch with the white door and white crown moulding (if you install the same one).

About the mismatch, agreed. The standard pantry doors at all three Strada plans are large white doors. You can upgrade these to cabinets with same color/stain. If we go with non-white cabinets, we'll likely upgrade the pantry doors to cabinets (~$2,700).

When you first said sage/gray I thought I wouldn't like them (since I'm loving white cabinets these days)- but these cabinets looks surprisingly nice. It looks grayish brown on my computer and I like that - I don't see much green/sage on my monitor. If you choose the backsplash and countertops carefully to complement the cabinets, I think this could look really nice. I think I might go for less yellow in the counter/backsplash to highlight the gray rather than the green in the cabinets. Unless you want to highlight the green tinge. But you know, photos are not always accurate so my feedback may be waaaayyy off.

The look is less casual and more elegant than white cabinets.

irvinehomeowner said:
I wouldn't necessarily change doors to match cabinets.

People usually just color the hair on their head. :)

#toofar?

What about eyebrows?  Reminds me of asian chicks that dye their hair blonde but leave their eyebrows black.

tumblr_nnu0bxgugS1qdk58lo1_1280.jpg

whome said:
When you first said sage/gray I thought I wouldn't like them (since I'm loving white cabinets these days)- but these cabinets looks surprisingly nice. It looks grayish brown on my computer and I like that - I don't see much green/sage on my monitor. If you choose the backsplash and countertops carefully to complement the cabinets, I think this could look really nice. I think I might go for less yellow in the counter/backsplash to highlight the gray rather than the green in the cabinets. Unless you want to highlight the green tinge. But you know, photos are not always accurate so my feedback may be waaaayyy off.

The look is less casual and more elegant than white cabinets.

"Sage" is a terrible name for this stain. It is 90% gray, 5% beige, and 5% earthy toned. I saw it in a Strada home a month ago. With other browns in the decor, the sage cabinets looked brown too.

They look brown on my screen.  If you're planning on being there a while, then you should go with the sage as that's your preference.  What color floor/walls?

Perspective said:
Harajuku said:

About the mismatch, agreed. The standard pantry doors at all three Strada plans are large white doors. You can upgrade these to cabinets with same color/stain. If we go with non-white cabinets, we'll likely upgrade the pantry doors to cabinets (~$2,700).
I actually think if the house had those colored doors to match the cabinets, it might actually become a deal breaker for me (or at least as qwerty mentioned...something I'd have to change and thus would adjust what I was willing to pay for the place accordingly). 

Perspective said:

Love the concept and colors. I'm all for greys and whites which seems to be very popular right now. The sage cabinets are just not my favorite. Have you thought about other cabinet color options?

We're doing white cabinets with Bianco Ramona granite with full backsplash and light wood floors. Again, I'm with you on the color scheme :)

OC_medicine said:
Perspective said:

Love the concept and colors. I'm all for greys and whites which seems to be very popular right now. The sage cabinets are just not my favorite. Have you thought about other cabinet color options?

We're doing white cabinets with Bianco Ramona granite with full backsplash and light wood floors. Again, I'm with you on the color scheme :)

Our first design appt is today with Stage 2 upgrade decisions due late July. So, maybe we'll know more today. We'll probably go with white cabinets, but I don't wanna just default to white without considering options. Those two options are sage and espresso. Maybe we'll do the kitchen in white and all other cabinets in sage or espresso? We'll see.

Bullsback said:
Perspective said:
Harajuku said:

I actually think if the house had those colored doors to match the cabinets, it might actually become a deal breaker for me (or at least as qwerty mentioned...something I'd have to change and thus would adjust what I was willing to pay for the place accordingly).

So, on a ~$1.2M house you loved, the few thousand dollars it might cost to replace all cabinets could be a deal breaker? Interesting...

Perspective said:
So, on a ~$1.2M house you loved, the few thousand dollars it might cost to replace all cabinets could be a deal breaker? Interesting...

Yes, because I could buy any one of your neighbor's homes instead without the barf-ugly cabinets.  It's not like you have a custom home... it's just a cookie-cutter product.  And I can just sit on my hands until another comes on the market.

You seem to be clinging to this cabinet color.  If you really like it that much, just get it.  But don't expect everyone to like it as much as you.  TI has voted, and everyone says thumbs down.

Perspective said:
Bullsback said:
Perspective said:
Harajuku said:

Replacing the cabinets in the entire house means replacing all the counters as well unless they are slab and can be removed without damaging which is a big IF........... kitchen, pantry door in this case, bathrooms and maybe built in units, cabinets and counters. That is a lot of money.

I bought a resale once. There were two identical floorplans available and I went with the house that had the original cabinets, passing up the house with the cabinets that had been painted over. And that was THE reason I went with the other house. If they had the original cabinets, I would have gone with that one hands down because I liked other things about the house but the cabinets were a deal breaker for me. If that were the ONLY one available I would still have passed.

WTTCHMN said:
Perspective said:

Yes, because I could buy any one of your neighbor's homes instead without the barf-ugly cabinets.  It's not like you have a custom home... it's just a cookie-cutter product.  And I can just sit on my hands until another comes on the market.

You seem to be clinging to this cabinet color.  If you really like it that much, just get it.  But don't expect everyone to like it as much as you.  TI has voted, and everyone says thumbs down.

Who knew a few comments about cabinet color could engender such tone and anger. Good to know some people are passionate about cabinet color...

Back