Orchard Hills - Strada by Irvine Pacific

My husband and I had the choice between the 3X and regular 3. We chose the 3X for a few different reasons.
We loved the curb appeal of the 3X very grand for an approximate 2,900 sq ft home. It reminds us a lot of the Terraza 2X which we loved but ideally we wanted an SFR with an actual driveway so Terraza was out of the question. Also, with the regular 3 you have to take into account the landscaping that needs to be done in the front courtyard area which adds to landscaping costs. Perspective is right; the regular 3 at the end of the cul-de-sac does only have 1 neighbor behind and 1 neighbor on the side (limited two adjacent neighbors) just like a 3X but there is a high premium for having a house at the very end of the cul-de-sac, which we were not willing to pay. And again we rather have the grander curb appeal. We love how you have to walk around the house to get to the front door; definitely different than your average cookie cutter house. The 3X's at Strada give the community a grand and distinctive appearance so why not live in one? We are so excited for our move-in date!  ;D ;D

bones said:
You obviously haven't read TI long enough.  It is a well known fact that the Irvine Pacific's X plans take your breath away :)

Definitely agree with bones! The IP X's do take your breathe away  :)

Regarding 3X vs. regular Plan 3 and all things being equal regarding lots, I'd choose a 3X but it would also depend on the street.  The best streets in my opinion are the smaller ones - less houses means less cars, more quieter.  In addition to the extra storage space, the 3Xs (and 2Xs) have fantastic curb appeal.  They're a rarity at Strada, so I can understand the buzz for them in the next few phases. 

Does anyone know if the Plan 3X Tuscan's elevation charge is less than the $10K you pay for the Plan 3's? I ask, because in the Plan 3, the stonework wraps the front part and extends all the way to the front door. In the Plan 3X, it only wraps the front door area.

I'm using Irvine Pacific's design center site, and some prices shock me, while others are lower than I'd expected. I'm thinking the iron stair railing is out with its $12K+ price, but upgrading the cabinets throughout is in, when it's just $3,750. It sounds like not too many Strada buyers are upgrading the cabinets. When I heard that, it suggested to me the upgrade pricing would be outrageous.

Perspective said:
I'm using Irvine Pacific's design center site, and some prices shock me, while others are lower than I'd expected. I'm thinking the iron stair railing is out with its $12K+ price, but upgrading the cabinets throughout is in, when it's just $3,750. It sounds like not too many Strada buyers are upgrading the cabinets. When I heard that, it suggested to me the upgrade pricing would be outrageous.

Upgrade pricing is crazy for every builder..they use the "you don't want to void your warranty" pitch.

With that said, countertop and cabinet upgrades are usually pretty reasonable.  You want to do anything structural, electrical, or in the bathroom with the builder.  Everything you can do outside.

Perspective said:

How much would iron stair railing be if not through design center?

Perspective said:

"cabinet upgrades" through a builder just means you get different colored laminate.  Maybe some wood doors.  Not really an upgrade in my book.

eyephone said:
Perspective said:

I haven't tried to obtain a quote. This is the type of upgrade that's really nice, but if the builder doesn't install it, I'm very unlikely to do it later (and therefore the market price doesn't really matter to me).

How much would iron stair railing be if not through design center?

gasman said:
Perspective said:

Right, this price includes maple doors stained in different options.

"cabinet upgrades" through a builder just means you get different colored laminate.  Maybe some wood doors.  Not really an upgrade in my book.

gasman said:
Perspective said:

There are options to add cabinets...we priced those out and builder was competitive.

Anyone has any suggestions for window tinting? Is it better to do before moving in? I'm yet to find out about the cost and time it takes to get it done. Any experience?

ariesinapril said:
Anyone has any suggestions for window tinting? Is it better to do before moving in? I'm yet to find out about the cost and time it takes to get it done. Any experience?

I'd make sure this doesn't violate the CC&Rs. Window tinting wasn't allowed at my condo complex.

ariesinapril said:

I have a vendor if you're interested.  I'd suggest going with ceramic tint as it will block out a significant amount of IR heat.

Perspective said:
ariesinapril said:

I'd make sure this doesn't violate the CC&Rs. Window tinting wasn't allowed at my condo complex.

Also tinting the window can possibly void the  window warranty.

Please be cautious about window tinting on those new double pane window.  Many window manufactures do not suggest adding a tint to your window glass as this will void your warranty on the insulated glass unit. Applying tint can cause excessive heat to the insulated glass causing the unit to prematurely fail.  Double check make sure the tint film is safe to use on these type of windows.http://www.tintindustry.com/Home-Window-Tinting/Tinting-Double-Pane-Windows.html

We tinted our windows in Tustin Ranch years ago along the back wall that got afternoon sun. No problem with any window (we owned the house for 11 years) except ONE which cracked twice. After having to replace the window the second time we left it untinted.

The window was arched and that may have had something to do with it.

Hi -- would appreciate any suggestions on shower surround tiles and size-- between 18x18 and 12x 24 porcelean tiles-- which of these will look good and for maintenance? 

Also any suggestions about bathroom countertops?  -- between petrafina/ granite and caesarstone -- petrafina price looks good but is there any advantage of putting granite or caesar in bathrooms?

Last any suggestions about shower floors?
Thanks in advance.

Blue714 said:
Hi -- would appreciate any suggestions on shower surround tiles and size-- between 18x18 and 12x 24 porcelean tiles-- which of these will look good and for maintenance? 

Also any suggestions about bathroom countertops?  -- between petrafina/ granite and caesarstone -- petrafina price looks good but is there any advantage of putting granite or caesar in bathrooms?

Thanks in advance.

These issues are just a matter of taste. Share what you like with your designer, and ask about the possible negatives of everything you like.

As for shower floors though, white tile & white grout can turn grey very quickly with standing water on shower floors. So, we might go with the standard 6"/6" white tile in the master shower, add a 6" ribbon around 5' high, and match the entire shower floor to the ribbon tile.

Perspective said:
Blue714 said:

Thanks in advance.

These issues are just a matter of taste. Share what you like with your designer, and ask about the possible negatives of everything you like.

As for shower floors though, white tile & white grout can turn grey very quickly with standing water on shower floors. So, we might go with the standard 6"/6" white tile in the master shower, add a 6" ribbon around 5' high, and match the entire shower floor to the ribbon tile.
Thanks -- do you see any issues with the standard 6x6 white tiles in the shower from a cleaning angle or should they be fine? We were also looking at the option you mentioned -- of taking white tiles and doing some liners -- debating between this and getting porcelean tiles for the shower and tub surround.

Back