Orchard Hills - Strada by Irvine Pacific

lnc said:
timandjess said:
Jonah said:
ps9 said:
Did a lot of Strada just hit MLS?

I think this must be it.  Cherokee is a nice street.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/59-Cherokee-Irvine-CA-92602/2102652403_zpid/

We were at the Strada office snooping and apparently the owner had some UCI students that wanted to rent it but eventually turned them down.

My wife and I just dread neighbor who are renters from past experience.  Our last home in Irvine had renters immediately next door to us and also three houses down.

Our immediate neighbor were quite nice but they had about 3 families sharing the home, clogging up the parking space badly on the street.

The neighbor that was 3 houses down were a group of students.  They were a nightmare.

Isn't OH a bit far for UCI students?

Multiple families and students definitely create issues.  Unfortunately in the brand new development like this, we have no control over who is buying or renting next door.

Well, I guess you don't have control over who buys or rents next door in a resale neighborhood either, but at least you may be able to get a better sense of who already lives there before you sign the contract.

This is one aspect which does give me pause about buying new. For those who have bought new recently in communities like Cypress Village, Orchard Hills, Stonegate, Portola, what proportion would you say are investor owned, with renters, or standing empty? Doesn't Laguna Altura have a big issue with that?

I see a fair number of "brand new, never been lived in"rentals advertised on places like Craigslist and Zillow, presumably from Chinese investors and their property agents.  You guys think there will be much of a rental market on the Groves side of Orchard Hills, or would that likely be less, due to the size of the houses?

Jonah said:
8porkchop said:
Jonah said:
Hey Jonah, we are going to submit our plan soon. Be prepared because there is a lot of paperwork that is needed and fees as well. Also, he have a decent size backyard so we are going all out. We plan on a California room, built in bbq, firepit, and water fountain, so I feel our quote was a fair price. If you're looking to go big then I'll give you the referral.
That is going to look very impressive, it's great you'll have the space for all that too.  We're not looking to go big, in fact we're not sure what we want so will need a good landscaper to give us some ideas.  We have a modest budget.
If you want ideas I suggest looking at other model homes. Not all landscapers will have pictures of their work but even if they do you won't see the size and scope of things like in person. My wife and I looked at different designs in the model homes, took pictures and presented them to the landscaper. He took what we wanted and gave us a design. BTW the size of my backyard is 25-30 ft deep. It just seemed like a waste for us to go Asian and just concrete the whole thing.

timandjess said:
Perspective said:
Yardmatters said:
Perspective said:
jayjaym3 said:
For those who mentioned getting an allowance and/or discount from the design center, could you elaborate on this?  I thought they weren't offering any discounts but I'd be a happy camper if they are!

Builders typically provide you a token/nominal discount for the standard material they won't be installing. That may be what this "discount" is at Strada.

Thanks for the info everyone. Flooring decisions will be difficult. One issue with plan 3 is that there isn't an easy "line" to separate the great room from the kitchen dining area. Plan 2 can be "cut" cleanly. Has anyone chosen to have different flooring in the kitchen/dining area than in the living area in plan 3? If so, where did you draw the line?

I understand what you mean by plan 2 can be cut cleanly while plan 3 isn't. I'm also curious to know if any of the owners have decided to go with half tile half wood for either 2 or 3. That would save at least 1/3 of the cost and less hassle to remove the tile. Not sure how it looks after all. Any one can share a photo showing this? Thx.

One viable plan I'm considering, is to select nice tile for the builder to install in the baths, laundry, and kitchen with standard carpet everywhere else. I'd have the tile in the Plan 3 kitchen stop where the cabinets stop, which is probably a foot or two beyond the island. Then rip-out all of the carpet and replace it with hardwood flooring after COE.
Just for reference, our demo of tiles.  Wasn't bad at all.

Wow! With that thin film protection, I think the tile chipping will add a "rusted" look to the Island and cabinets panels "for free".  >:D >:D

I heard from one very "handy" friend that he is going to remove just the carpet and install a layer of plywood to the concrete where original carpet was so it has the same height as the tiles in kitchen. Then install standard laminate on top of them (both tiles and plywood). That sounds like a plan too... Any of you or your contractor thought about this approach? Thx. 

Ouch! Ripping out tile floors on a brand new house? Should inspect carefully the cabinets. I'm almost certain there will be chips. Not sure how critical you are. Def the kickboards. I can't foresee a flawless demo. I've done construction and been thru several remodels. We've always just put some putty and paint to cover up.

We are planning to paint the whole interior once flooring is done and do touch ups on any damages for sure, but so far nothing more than a couple minor scratches on the island legs (demo is completely done).  For the money we saved vs IPD, it's a no brainier.

timandjess said:
We are planning to paint the whole interior once flooring is done and do touch ups on any damages for sure, but so far nothing more than a couple minor scratches on the island legs (demo is completely done).  For the money we saved vs IPD, it's a no brainier.

wondering if we can ask the worker to apply less bond to the tiles so that its easier to demo afterwards.

One option re. flooring, is upgrading the flooring in the kitchen and (and entry if relevant) with the builder, then sourcing same flooring with a contractor to install after COE.

8porkchop said:
Jonah said:
8porkchop said:
That is going to look very impressive, it's great you'll have the space for all that too.  We're not looking to go big, in fact we're not sure what we want so will need a good landscaper to give us some ideas.  We have a modest budget.
If you want ideas I suggest looking at other model homes. Not all landscapers will have pictures of their work but even if they do you won't see the size and scope of things like in person. My wife and I looked at different designs in the model homes, took pictures and presented them to the landscaper. He took what we wanted and gave us a design. BTW the size of my backyard is 25-30 ft deep. It just seemed like a waste for us to go Asian and just concrete the whole thing

Ahhhh, now I see why you're doing so much in your yard, 25-30 feet is HUGE for Strada - I didn't realize there were lots that size in the earlier phases!  I'll continue checking out model homes, but I still need a good landscaper to view our lot to give me ideas.

Why does TimAndJess' demo pic make me cringe? There's something that just feels wrong about demo in a new house. I understand why though.

A 25-30' setback is huge. We toured the Rosemist homes in Pavilion Park and liked the floorplans, but loved the large yards. I'm willing to sacrifice a setback ten fewer feet for a house in Orchard Hills rather than Pavilion Park though.

Perspective said:
Why does TimAndJess' demo pic make me cringe? There's something that just feels wrong about demo in a new house. I understand why though.

FWP - first world problems  :-[

We demoed all the existing tile we got through the builder. It wasn't as bad as it looked. The only negative was the lingering dust caused by the demo. But the Model 2 is very easy to section if you want to go tile and wood on the bottom. We almost decided to because we felt that the regular tile looked good enough but we liked it not loved it so we decided to change.

Perspective said:

Haha would it make you feel any better if I say we are taking the brand new carpet we ripped out and making them into short-term giant area rugs?

Tried as we might, IP was not going to make it easy for us.  We even asked if they could just carpet the whole downstairs instead of tiles, but they refused, claiming they can't do carpet in kitchen and bathroom.  So...out goes the brand new tiles.

Was floating laminate (Pergo) the same price? Probably easier to demo.

Our builder would not let us close unless there was flooring in the kitchen and downstairs ba either so we had them put in vinyl (back then, that was still a flooring option). Then after COE, the flooring guys just laid tile over the vinyl.

I went to see Strada Yesterday, It was beautiful sunset, and got this picture from the Stagecoach street! I think everyone at Strada will have some good views!

Attachments

• IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 175
ariesinapril said:
I went to see Strada Yesterday, It was beautiful sunset, and got this picture from the Stagecoach street! I think everyone at Strada will have some good views!
I took few pictures from Street, I think that  was from "Cherokee" Street and may not be from Stagecoach. The Copper Mine  street has some great views  too!

most homes don't have any views in strada.  Maybe a select few homes on the TUSD side. 

AA said:
most homes don't have any views in strada.  Maybe a select few homes on the TUSD side.

Well, one of the best features of this neighborhood, is that every street ends in a cul-de-sac, and there are no homes at the end of the cul-de-sac. Even if you're not at the end of the cul-de-sac, you'll drive into your street every night and see something unique at the end of it.

The first phases in Tustin Unified end elevated. The end of these cul-de-sacs includes a great sunset purview. The homes at the top of the neighborhood end with cul-de-sacs facing up avocado orchards. Many streets in the final phases will end facing steep upward hills.

Back