Orchard Hills - Strada by Irvine Pacific

timandjess said:
Went to our walk-thru today and realized we do have view!
Its a little pathetic to call it view, but its view nonetheless.  ;D

Just tell people you have a view of the sky. Never tell any visitors you have a peak a boo view of anything, you don't want to set the expectations too high :)

qwerty said:
timandjess said:

Just tell people you have a view of the sky. Never tell any visitors you have a peak a boo view of anything, you don't want to set the expectations too high :)

I think I'll put some chairs on the patio and charge friends to watch the Disneyland fireworks instead.

timandjess said:

Congratulation!!! Looks like a final walk-through. Moving in soon?
In fact I have a general question: how long between your physically move-in and possession of key? Do you smell any odor of new paint or whatever new construction?

Yardmatters said:
timandjess said:

In fact I have a general question: how long between your physically move-in and possession of key? Do you smell any odor of new paint or whatever new construction?

New house paint smell = new car smell

Jkjk

Yardmatters said:
timandjess said:

Thank you.

That was the "pre-orientation", not the final one.  We will be doing slight constructions after closing before moving in, so I'm hoping 2 weeks post closing for an actual move in.  "Hoping" is the key word here.  I don't recall any paint odor so it must not have been significant.  My wife is much more sensitive though, and she did complain to me about having to air out the house.

timandjess said:

Thats a pretty good view Tim -- with the bonus disney fireworks -- Guess you will enjoy them every friday night :)

timandjess said:
Yardmatters said:
timandjess said:

Thank you.

That was the "pre-orientation", not the final one.  We will be doing slight constructions after closing before moving in, so I'm hoping 2 weeks post closing for an actual move in.  "Hoping" is the key word here.  I don't recall any paint odor so it must not have been significant.  My wife is much more sensitive though, and she did complain to me about having to air out the house.

Can you share any prices Irvine Co quoted for flooring?

We probably paid twice the after-market rate for engineered hardwood flooring years ago when we bought a townhouse from Lennar. A friend is waiting for his Baker Ranch house to be completed, and was quoted nearly $20 per sq ft for engineered hardwood flooring through the entire house (including stairs).

We got quote of about $9.13/sq ft for vinyl (wood look) flooring through IP.
For model home's engineered wood is about $18.50/sq ft.

When we were shopping around state college blvd, here's the price range -

$1.00 ~ $2.00/sq ft for tile floor on concrete demolition (carpet should have no cost except disposal fee)

Install is around $3.00/sq ft
Glue is about $0.60 ~ $1.00/sq ft

Engineered wood ranges from $4.50 ~ $8.00.  I'm sure you can go much lower as well as much higher depending on the type of wood you want.  The range we got were mostly for a rustic (wire brushed) engineered wood. 

If trying to compare apple to apple, IP quotes around $18.50/sq ft while similar floor could be had for under $11.00/sq ft plus demolition.

timandjess said:
We got quote of about $9.13/sq ft for vinyl (wood look) flooring through IP.
For model home's engineered wood is about $18.50/sq ft.

When we were shopping around state college blvd, here's the price range -

$1.00 ~ $2.00/sq ft for tile floor on concrete demolition (carpet should have no cost except disposal fee)

Install is around $3.00/sq ft
Glue is about $0.60 ~ $1.00/sq ft

Engineered wood ranges from $4.50 ~ $8.00.  I'm sure you can go much lower as well as much higher depending on the type of wood you want.  The range we got were mostly for a rustic (wire brushed) engineered wood. 

If trying to compare apple to apple, IP quotes around $18.50/sq ft while similar floor could be had for under $11.00/sq ft plus demolition.

Thanks! That's about what I was speculating. So, for a plan 3 with ~2,700 sq ft, we're looking at a ~$50K flooring upgrade. Gulp.

Installing wood flooring after COE in carpeted or upstairs areas is ok, but you should get upgraded downstairs tile from the builder.  Demoing tile bonded to the concrete slab, at best, will leave divots in the concrete slab, at worst, it can crack the slab and jackhammered tile shrapnel can damage appliances and cabinets.  It be a shame to ding up your new Wolf / Subzero kitchen before you even boil your first pot of water.

Happiness said:
Installing wood flooring after COE in carpeted or upstairs areas is ok, but you should get upgraded downstairs tile from the builder.  Demoing tile bonded to the concrete slab, at best, will leave divots in the concrete slab, at worst, it can crack the slab and jackhammered tile shrapnel can damage appliances and cabinets.  It be a shame to ding up your new Wolf / Subzero kitchen before you even boil your first pot of water.

Agreed. I'm willing to pay the premium Irvine Pacific will charge, but there is a limit; and $18.50 is very near that limit for me.

Builders may agree to keeping your appliances offsite after escrow close until you put in your new floor.  I've heard of it happening before for some Stonegate buyers (can't remember what builder).

I did all but the upstairs wet area after escrow. I saved close to half the price. The only downside of doing things after COE is the time and the amount of dust that lingers due to demolition.

8porkchop said:
I did all but the upstairs wet area after escrow. I saved close to half the price. The only downside of doing things after COE is the time and the amount of dust that lingers due to demolition.

How were your baseboards after the install?

Personally I would want baseboards removed and new ones installed on top of the flooring. I don't like the look of quarter-round/shoe-molding in front of the baseboard.

Perspective said:
Thanks! That's about what I was speculating. So, for a plan 3 with ~2,700 sq ft, we're looking at a ~$50K flooring upgrade. Gulp.
I have the actual numbers for Plan 3-- 2693Sqft home all wood floor throughout the home except bath rooms  IPD quote is $53,183 after allowance and discount the number is $46,545

My quote from the design center was $39000 after discount, which is bottom floor tile and the top including stairs is a Provenza style wood. Also included were white risers. I paid almost half that after COE. The baseboards on the bottom with tile were fine. Quarter rounds were not necessary. But next to the wood they were needed unless you replace the baseboards. Since I didn't replace mine the only issues I had was the collection of dust due to demolition. Otherwise I recommend going outside.

Back