Orchard Hills Residents - TUSD Side

Legit949

If money were no object, would you send your kids to Beckman HS or Crean Lutheran High School? Thank you in advance!

Beckman. I'm a firm believer in public school vs. private schools. Think it helps ensure you meet, get to know, work with people from broader backgrounds.  I will caveat that by, if the public school was crappy, due to lack of general parental involvement, community support, I'd have a different opinion. 

I vote public as well, the differing point of views should broaden their world view.
Plus, Beckman most likely offers more classes to choose from as well

Bullsback said:
Beckman. I'm a firm believer in public school vs. private schools. Think it helps ensure you meet, get to know, work with people from broader backgrounds.  I will caveat that by, if the public school was crappy, due to lack of general parental involvement, community support, I'd have a different opinion.

Agreed. Beckman hands down

Another vote for Beckman. My kid had a friend that started out at Beckman and then transferred to Crean. She ended up coming back to Beckman because she didn't like Crean compared to Beckman.

Legit949 said:
If money were no object, would you send your kids to Beckman HS or Crean Lutheran High School? Thank you in advance!

More than the money it depends on your kid.  The problem with the private high schools typically is that they may not have enough money to offer a wide variety of Honors /AP classes or extracurricular activities.  If you think your kid has a narrow focus on academics and EC then I would pick the private school.  The big assumption here is that private school teachers would actually teach.  The biggest complaint I have heard both on IUSD and TUSD high school side is that other than a handful of great teachers most of them do not actively teach.

Beckman over Crean Lutheran definitely. Unless you have a religious reason for choosing Crean.
There are no really great private schools in this part of Orange County that are worth the tuition in my opinion.

nyc to oc said:
Beckman over Crean Lutheran definitely. Unless you have a religious reason for choosing Crean.
There are no really great private schools in this part of Orange County that are worth the tuition in my opinion.

http://www.materdei.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=66329&type=d&pREC_ID=106992&hideMenu=1

nyc to oc said:

The problem with the religious schools is the religious indoctrination. Won't be subjecting my kids to that, ever.

WTTCHMN said:
AW said:
That's daycare price in Irvine.  People are used to it.
Sad...

Huh?  I thought Ballsack said he only spends $1500/mo at Le Port.
Sorry, that was just a commentary and exaggeration on how expensive daycare is in Irvine, and they start off early with infant programs ranging $1,600+ and then annual dues plus other fees (some charge laundry fees for daily washing the crib sheets, and as they get older, they'll charge for meals, and then any extracurricular programs, etc)

Perspective said:
nyc to oc said:

The problem with the religious schools is the religious indoctrination. Won't be subjecting my kids to that, ever.

Just wait until they befriend some asian bible thumpers while in school.  Saddleback even has a branch at Northwood HS.

WTTCHMN said:
Perspective said:
nyc to oc said:

Just wait until they befriend some asian bible thumpers while in school.  Saddleback even has a branch at Northwood HS.
If you want to meet a lot of Bible thumpers, no need to spend private school tuition, just make the Woodbury Chick-fil-A a part of your weekly rotation.  Who knows, you just might meet that elusive Level 5 friend there.

WTTCHMN said:
Perspective said:
nyc to oc said:

It has services on Sunday at Northwood...not a branch.

Back