Orchard Hills - Messina by TRI Pointe Homes

Zippohunter said:
Ok gonna do it.  Take off from the office early tomorrow and head straight for the sales office.  Hope lot 21 is still available.
So, did you buy?  Don't keep us in suspense.

Well a family that bought lot 28 switched and took lot 21 instead.  So lot 21 is not available.  Lot 28 looks big as well but I am trying to figure out why they switched.  I don't see anything wrong with it but am a little hesitant until I study it more carefully.  I did start the prequal process though.

The sales folks said they switched because they wanted the sun in the backyard in the afternoon.  I don't know if I buy that.

The only thing I see is that lot 28 is closer to settlers and the gate.  I don't have an electronic copy of the site map but if you have it can you guys see anything wrong with lot 28?  Has to be more than orientation to the sun.  Also lot 21 lot size is just over 6500 sq ft and lot 28 is just over 6000.

Boy nothing is ever easy.

qwerty said:
If you don't see anything wrong with lot 28 why does it matter why the switched?

If there is truly nothing I can find by tomorrow then it does not matter.  Just want to be sure before I buy a near $2M house.

Lot 21's yard also looks deeper than the lot 28's.  That means lot 21's home will be further away from it's back neighbor than lot 28's.  Do you have a lot plan that show how deep the yard is for both of these lots so you can compare.

Also do you know the actually street address for these homes.  Hope lot 28's address does not contain #4 in it.

lnc said:
Lot 21's yard also looks deeper than the lot 28's.  That means lot 21's home will be further away from it's back neighbor than lot 28's.  Do you have a lot plan that show how deep the yard is for both of these lots so you can compare.

Also do you know the actually street address for these homes.  Hope lot 28's address does not contain #4 in it.

Lot 21 is 30 and lot 28 is 31 feet deep. I don't know the address.

irvinehomeowner said:
For $1.6m+, I would look at one of those 3CWG Concordia homes.
So out of curiosity, I looked at those Concordia homes.  Only saw 3 listed on Redfin.  One is only 2600 sq ft, so won't compare that one.  The other two are 3000 and 3200.  I like the vaulted ceiling on the entrance on both of those.  Also really like the master bed retreat with the fireplace.  Love the 3 CWG garage of course.  23 Trinity has beautiful new flooring.

What I don't like is 3 bathrooms.  I'm a fan of having at least one, preferably more of the secondary bathrooms having their own en suite bathroom.  Both of the kitchens are butt ugly, definite need of reno.  Also, not a fan of the stair system, they look dated.  I hate tile for bathroom countertops, so those would have to be replaced.  The lot sizes are pretty small for TR, 5500 and 5600. 

But, all these floor plans differences are moot compared to the location someone prefers to live.  Some people wanna live in the TR area and others wanna live in the OH area for their own personal reasons.

I like new construction so I can pick the options I want and customize to my wife's taste.  Just a quick look at those Concordia houses and I know I would have to put in over $100k in renovations for inside and backyard, most likely well over $100k.

I what The issue is with lot 28!!!  Lot 29 is also a plan 2 and also presummably with an outdoor kitchen. Guess what the two outdoor kitchens and loggias are right next to eachother.  Gonna go to the model today to see how high the wall is between the two homes. 

This means the two areas are only 10 feet apart.  Sigh...should have pulled the trigger on lot 21 last week.  Now i have to settle on lot 28 or one of the future phases with a smaller lot.

@ocgasman:

I believe there are 6 on the market.

And yes, it's resale, old style izz-O layout (which I like) and needs updating.

But...

Turtle Rock and IUSD > Orchard Hills and TUSD

#demsfightingwords
#fortheschools

But more importantly...

#3CWGFTW

irvinehomeowner said:
@ocgasman:

But...

#demsfightingwords
#fortheschools

But more importantly...

#3CWGFTW

Agree that iusd > tusd. 

But Hicks Canyon, Orchard Hills, Beckman High is on par or better then most iusd.

How much junk do you have anyway?  Enough to fill the single part of your 3cwg or 2?

Zippohunter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@ocgasman:

But...

#demsfightingwords
#fortheschools

But more importantly...

#3CWGFTW

Agree that iusd > tusd. 

But Hicks Canyon, Orchard Hills, Beckman High is on par or better then most iusd.

How much junk do you have anyway?  Enough to fill the single part of your 3cwg or 2?

It all depends. Some people use that extra space for workshop, office, game room etc. Also, there are people that need that extra space for "storage."

Big families (such as teen drivers or inlaws that moved in) have multiple drivers, that need the 3 car garage. Some people have multiple cars - commuter cars and the weekend car.  :D

It all depends. Some people use that extra space for workshop, office, game room etc. Also, there are people that need that extra space for "storage."

Big families (such as teen drivers or inlays moved in) have multiple drivers need that 3 car garage. Some people have multiple cars - commuter cars and the weekend car.  :D
[/quote]

Yes I realize that.  I was just curious about IHO's specific situation because of his signature.

Also if you are going to use the extra garage space for office, game room, etc, i personally would prefer to have a tandem three car that I can opt out to the office and what not to be more integrated with the rest of the home.

Don't get me wrong I like a 3cwg as well.  They just don't make em anymore and I prefer new development.  Also my preference...the inside of the home is more important than, to me, a nice to have 3cwg.

My preference, may not work for you.

We usually use the 3rd car garage for work space, storage and a place to keep the bikes, scooters and other activity equipment.

The beauty of the 3CWG is the ability to move stuff in and out of your garage without having to move your vehicles out of the garage... and your guest (usually my relatives) can park in the 3rd car driveway without blocking us in.

I also find that most people who don't really see the benefit of a 3CWG, usually have never had one.

I think many of my "converts" can attest to the pros of a 3CWG (other than the added expense of maintenance on that 3rd door :) ).

Lol!  How many people did you poll and how many converts do you have?

Yes 3cwg is nice and I know the benefits.  I had one before when I lived in Orange.

I can respect your situation and the benefits of a 3cwg.  I can respect your passion and willingness to share. 

But alas people have different needs and tastes.

Zippohunter said:
Lol!  How many people did you poll and how many converts do you have?
Billions. :)
Yes 3cwg is nice and I know the benefits.  I had one before when I lived in Orange.
Gasp! And you don't miss it?
I can respect your situation and the benefits of a 3cwg.  I can respect your passion and willingness to share. 

But alas people have different needs and tastes.
There can be only one type of garage!

I'm mostly kidding and believe me, I understand the variety of needs and preferences. I'm also a big proponent of formal dining and living room, vaulted ceilings and circular layout but it seems like most people just like that single square 1st floor great room concept that the new homes have pushed on us (even in the 3000sft+ range which baffles me).

I also like the wider footprint a 3CWG homes provides. Our old 3CWG was only about 2500sft but people always thought it was much bigger because of the circular layout, the expanse of the first floor and the vaulted ceilings. Whereas when I tour these 3000sft new homes, they don't feel that large. If you used the vaulted ceiling space and reconfigured the 2nd floor with a loft or even extra bedrooms on the 2nd floor (which many have done), you can easily gain 800-1000 sft which demonstrates how much of a bigger footprint these 3CWG homes had.

But back on topic... does it bother you that the master closet in the Messina models are so tiny? When you're spending over $1m on a home (or in this case over $1.5m)... I would think bigger closets wouldn't be that much to ask for.

irvinehomeowner said:
But back on topic... does it bother you that the master closet in the Messina models are so tiny? When you're spending over $1m on a home (or in this case over $1.5m)... I would think bigger closets wouldn't be that much to ask for.
Man, how big of a master closet do you guys need?  Messina plan 2 master closet is plenty big enough for my wife and I with lots of room to spare.  Maybe, we're outliers with not a lot of clothes compared to others.  On the opposite extreme is Saviero plan 4 master closet.  Size of a bedroom.  Complete waste of space IMO.

Back