Orchard Hills Homes

The problem with the IP homes that I've seen.. yes you buy premium location... but it's so dense.  So OH is for the views, etc.. but if your house is dense.. why bother? 

jmoney74 said:
The problem with the IP homes that I've seen.. yes you buy premium location... but it's so dense.  So OH is for the views, etc.. but if your house is dense.. why bother?
Huh?  The Irvine side will be dense with no views.  The Groves will have SFR, some with views, some with huge lots so less dense.  What exactly is your question?

Not a question.. more of just a comment.  It's like PS.  It's supposed to offer great views but some of the homes are so dense.. why bother at that point?  Just move to SG or PP or CV. 

jmoney74 said:
Not a question.. more of just a comment.  It's like PS.  It's supposed to offer great views but some of the homes are so dense.. why bother at that point?  Just move to SG or PP or CV.
Umm, maybe because the location is way better than those.  And the Groves will be gated with just SFRs.  Still not understanding your reasoning.

jmoney74 said:

you can watch the view from the pocket parks or amenities area (most homes have almost no backyard anyway)  :p  Although I do envy the backyard view of the Quinterra model homes .. not sure how many of the actual units can have those views.

Toll Brothers, Hidden Canyon
Toll Brothers - does really nice homes
Location - Closer to the beach, thus perceived to be higher classed
9 miles closer to the coast.

So for $2,500,000 ~ $3,000,000 I'd buy HC

HC probably has no views cause u know...it's like hidden.

OCgasman said:
jmoney74 said:
Huh?  The Irvine side will be dense with no views.  The Groves will have SFR, some with views, some with huge lots so less dense.  What exactly is your question?

In fact, to add to what OCgasman has said, some lots for Trevi will be in the 7,000-8,000 square foot range (and I think a bit higher, if I'm not mistaken).

Here's my opinion, if you are going to charge a premium price then provide a premium product.  Yeah, I get that TIC is in the money printing business by trying to squeeze as many homes onto an acre as they can (i.e. building a sea of motorcourt homes) but come on.  Make OH the premium sought after Village that it was meant to be by build traditional detached homes on regular streets. 

iacrenter said:
bones said:
How much of a yard do U get on a 7000-8000 sf lot when the house footprint itself is so large. Sounds like 10k sf lot is more reasonable?

Here is a link to my post on Trevi back in December:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,11114.msg219759.html

Documents filed with the city indicate lots range from 7800-14800 sqft. But some of the satteline maps look like some lots are up to 20,000 sqft.

Big lots most likely have steep slopes so that a lot of the space is unusable.

Better location is like how people were arguing over PS, PP, and SG location.  It's not like we are comparing West Irvine down to Newport coast here.  All of these neighborhoods are relatively close.  What I'm saying is.. if you're going to pay a premium.. you should be living in a premium location.  Granted... we all haven't seen how OH is going to turn out or what it even looks like at this point.. but if you are buying in another dense setting and not be able to enjoy the views or sights.. then what exactly is the premium?  To live next to more rich people?  To each their own.  ;)

BTW.. we are talking about the dense IP homes.. the other builders seem to still value bigger lot and better spacing. 

bones said:
jmoney74 said:
BTW.. we are talking about the dense IP homes.. the other builders seem to still value bigger lot and better spacing. 

I tend to agree on the IP side.  If we're guessing correctly and saying $100k premium for Strada over Mulberry, then what is the point of living at OH especially if it is dense and there are no views.  I think there will be some view lots but it will command more than the $100k premium and that's a whole different conversation.  So $100k premium buys you no gate, possibly less amenities and it's further away from the highways.  Plus where do these IP homes go for elementary school?  Canyon View?  That's not walking distance right?

Further away from the highways can be seen as a positive in terms of noise pollution and health vs CV:

* more traffic driving by CV to and from the freeway, and even more with all the new hoods being built out
* proximity to freeway = noise + potential impact on health

Plus certain folks place value in knowing that their kids will likely go to Northwood High (I could care less, but to certain folks it makes a difference).  So if I was currently in the market for a Mulberry/Strada type of product, I would be willing to pay more for the Orchard Hills location.  Not sure about $100k more, but definitely more.

I'm not saying orchard hills is a bad location.... Just stating that IP will be dense... Asking away some of the benefits and elements of buying there.  The other builders still provide more space but I guess they are only building the more expensive lots.

Drove around OH this am, most models have framing up, I don't think Strada will have many views, maybe the sunset.  Who's doing the Timberwolf run this Saturday?  Maybe I'll accidentally run into a model home :)

Back