Orchard Hills article

hrcp

Long time lurker, first time poster.  Thank you all for the helpful and often humorous commentary through the years.

I've been recently (for the last 6 months) looking to purchase a home near Northwood Pointe, but the prices have just gotten out of hand far too quickly.  With the recent announcement of the new development just east of Northwood Pointe, I'm tempted to wait a little bit.  More interestingly, I've been waiting for Orchard Hills since 2007 and just when I finally gave up hope, I saw the following article from the OC Business Journal:
http://www.ocbj.com/news/2013/mar/31/irvine-co-seems-set-orchard-hills-homes-reboot/

Now, I'm thinking about waiting it out for just a little bit longer instead of continuing to look at Northwood Pointe.

hrcp said:
Long time lurker, first time poster.  Thank you all for the helpful and often humorous commentary through the years.

I've been recently (for the last 6 months) looking to purchase a home near Northwood Pointe, but the prices have just gotten out of hand far too quickly.  With the recent announcement of the new development just east of Northwood Pointe, I'm tempted to wait a little bit.  More interestingly, I've been waiting for Orchard Hills since 2007 and just when I finally gave up hope, I saw the following article from the OC Business Journal:
http://www.ocbj.com/news/2013/mar/31/irvine-co-seems-set-orchard-hills-homes-reboot/

Now, I'm thinking about waiting it out for just a little bit longer instead of continuing to look at Northwood Pointe.
Welcome to TI and thanks for coming out of lurkerville.  :p  Would you still be interested in buying a home in Orchard Hills if TIC priced the homes at $400-$450/sf or even higher?

Interesting article... didn't some smarter-than-all-of-us member say that the Irvine Company doesn't "stop building" or "hold construction" based on the economy?

I think they are going to finish off Portola Springs, Stonegate, Northwood 3 and Cypress Village before they do Orchard Hills. Considering they want OH to be a premium product, they have to watch the trends carefully.

This summer is supposed to be when the Great Park homes open and I think they'll see how that goes to decide what to do with OH.

Personally, I'm not that much a fan of the northern part of Irvine but that's because most of our lives revolve around the central/southern part of Irvine... plus I like to be "steps from the beach".

USCTrojanCPA said:
hrcp said:

Welcome to TI and thanks for coming out of lurkerville.  :p  Would you still be interested in buying a home in Orchard Hills if TIC priced the homes at $400-$450/sf or even higher?
I would.

I agree with IHO, they probably want to finish off SG, PS, CV, and the new SG West before opening up Orchard Hills.  2014 at the earliest, probably 2015+ depending on current sales and the impact of the Great Park development.

For all those itching to buy OH, be aware those homes on the Western enclaves are zoned to Tustin School District (good schools but not Irvine). If you want both the Irvine address and Northwood High, you will need to wait until much later phases on the East side of OH.

at this trend, you will be looking at $600 per sqft and 2+% tax rate at OH.
It will be two years for SG, PS, CV and LA to completely build out. My guess TIC will do NW3(or NWP2 or SGW) and OH at the same time, one being A+++ hood the other being B hood (similar to SG vs. LA)

In the article it mentions contractors already working at OH... so it's possible they may do something this year, TIC does like to do multiple projects at one time so maybe NW3 grand opening, Stonegate closeout, CV SFRs, and OH debut at the same time.

I'm not sure that Orchard hills is really that much better of a location than Lambert Ranch.  Maybe a 1/2 mile further from the edge of the landfill at most, but equal in terms of being on the extreme borders of residential Irvine.  I'd take the extra 2 minute drive down Portola in exchange for not having to pay melo roos on similarly sized and priced homes. 

The other comparison of a new home vs a late 90's NWP home is interesting...For me it was between a late 70's home and new construction, and the latter won out...but i think between a late 90's and new construction, I'd rather go the late 90's.  The reasons are many and kind of hard to explain in writing. In a late 90's home you will have all the modern comforts like high ceilings and open floorplans, but also things you just don't find anymore like larger secondary bedrooms and usable backyards. Also the notion that you can upgrade your new construction home however you like is a complete myth...you have some freedom like countertops ($$$) and flooring ($$$$$$), but in most cases you are only given a small choice of 4-5 styles for everything else. Basically you are forced into liking something that you might not want and pay more than you should for it.  All of it is standard stuff that is mass produced for the builders and the quality is never anything to brag about.  For the price to upgrade to the top of the line kitchen cabinets through a builder (good quality wood, raised panels, dove-tailed drawers, high quality stone/solid surfaces) you could easily redo an entire kitchen with custom cabinetry built by a reputable cabinet maker with a higher degree of choice as far as colors, style, finishes, hardware, etc.... 

I'm still of the opinion that OH will open later rather than sooner. In 2010, TIC actually had a page on its website announcing that OH was anticipated to open in 2013. As of today, I can't find anything regarding OH on TIC website. You'd think that if it was later this year or early next, there'd be *something* there. Who knows.

My recollection on Orchard Hills is that it is supposed to be in line with Turtle Ridge and maybe even Newport Coast.  It is on a hilll with a pretty decent view.  The original plans were to have large homes with large yards.  It will basically be Lambert Ranch with a better location...so I would imagine the homes will be somewhere around $1.5 milllion to $2 million.

Irvinecommuter said:
My recollection on Orchard Hills is that it is supposed to be in line with Turtle Ridge and maybe even Newport Coast.  It is on a hilll with a pretty decent view.  The original plans were to have large homes with large yards.  It will basically be Lambert Ranch with a better location...so I would imagine the homes will be somewhere around $1.5 milllion to $2 million.

Big difference between OH and LR will be:
1) OH will likely have Mello Roos
2) If LA is any indication of the new A Village/luxury neighborhood--expect recycled iPac floor plans and comminity amenity cost cutting
3) Expexct typical TIC customer service = poor. It will only be worse for OH since the buyers will expect more when they are dropping $1.5M+ for their homes

I would hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

iacrenter said:
Irvinecommuter said:

2) If LA is any indication of the new A Village/luxury neighborhood--expect recycled iPac floor plans and comminity amenity cost cutting
3) Expexct typical TIC customer service = poor. It will only be worse for OH since the buyers will expect more when they are dropping $1.5M+ for their homes

Personally, I didn't really care for the "service" at LR.  They were pretty unfriendly when I went there and couldn't even bother to get us a brochure. 

Even if the criticism about TIC is true, I am sure that there will be a whole different level of service people for super high end homes.  I mean it's not like LR created the agents, they simply hired those who have worked with other builders. 

MR is not going to be a big deal when you are talking about $1.5 million to $2 million homes.

IP will not be the only builder in OH.  TIC sold some land already... 

Sales agents @ $$$ IP homes are well trained!

Funkie said:
IP will not be the only builder in OH.  TIC sold some land already... 

Sales agents @ $$$ IP homes are well trained!

I have visited a lot of new home development from various lenders and they're all pretty much the same.  The higher level people are sometimes better but not always.  Sometimes the lower end people are super friendly and helpful.  People rail on the TIC agents but they worked with other builders previously. 

I had some issues with the agent at the place where I am buying but whatever.  I don't really care about the agents that much.  I almost rather them just leave the price list and brochures on the table and leave me alone.

Irvinecommuter said:
iacrenter said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Personally, I didn't really care for the "service" at LR.  They were pretty unfriendly when I went there and couldn't even bother to get us a brochure. 

Even if the criticism about TIC is true, I am sure that there will be a whole different level of service people for super high end homes.  I mean it's not like LR created the agents, they simply hired those who have worked with other builders. 

MR is not going to be a big deal when you are talking about $1.5 million to $2 million homes.

Based us TI posters, TIC has an image problem when it comes to customer service and I am not just talking about sales agents handing out price sheets.  There have been numerous angry posts about TIC's buying experience: poorly trained reps, frustrating design center experiences, and lack of responsiveness regarding building inspections. I haven't seen that level of frustration directed at LR.

As for MR--yes people who buy at this price point can afford Mello Roos but why pay for it if there are maybe better/cheaper alternatives.

TIC sales agents behave like the monopoly they are - TIC can make the buyer experience miserable and they know you cant really go anywhere else.  LR sales reps were probably trained for better customer service as a way of differentiating themselves. not to mention that they are somewhat the "luxury" brand by selling normal homes with driveways on somewhat normal lots and so a higher end customer tends to expect better customer service.

iacrenter said:
Irvinecommuter said:
iacrenter said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Based us TI posters, TIC has an image problem when it comes to customer service and I am not just talking about sales agents handing out price sheets.  There have been numerous angry posts about TIC's buying experience: poorly trained reps, frustrating design center experiences, and lack of responsiveness regarding building inspections. I haven't seen that level of frustration directed at LR.

As for MR--yes people who buy at this price point can afford Mello Roos but why pay for it if there are maybe better/cheaper alternatives.

The building inspection is definitely a minus we have had no problems with design center.  Orchard Hill will be in prime location.  LR is in a terrible location to me.  Way in the back beyond Portola Springs.  If one buying at that level, the mello roos will be of almost no concern.  People who buy Bentleys don't worry about gas mileage.

qwerty said:
TIC sales agents behave like the monopoly they are - TIC can make the buyer experience miserable and they know you cant really go anywhere else.  LR sales reps were probably trained for better customer service as a way of differentiating themselves. not to mention that they are somewhat the "luxury" brand by selling normal homes with driveways on somewhat normal lots and so a higher end customer tends to expect better customer service.

I had the opposite experience when I went to LR.  Again, this assumes that the agents have somehow been morphed by TIC when they became employees....they are who they are, for better or worse whether it's TIC or any other builder.

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

I had the opposite experience when I went to LR.  Again, this assumes that the agents have somehow been morphed by TIC when they became employees....they are who they are, for better or worse whether it's TIC or any other builder.

The agents may be who they are, but the builder can hire who they want and the type they hire seems to lack customer service skills

After driving around orchard hills, I'm not sure how great the "view" is. Most of it will be views of rooftops and toll roads. I'm assuming it will be more of a quail hill type community than turtle ridge.

Back