Orange County High School Rankings

i was wondering about that so i looked at the data. see for yourself.

the page has links that has detail data per school and categories...

la quinta (7) has 70% asian to 19% hispanic/latino, 840 api, 1504 sat

westminster (52) has 38% asian to 43% hispanic/latino 707 api, 1489 sat

university (3) has 48% asian to 5% hispanic/latino 881 api, 1861 sat

woodbridge (10) has 29% asian to 9% hispanic/latino 839 api, 1721 sat

you can come up with all kinds of conclusions based on the categories/data that is tracked.

you could say it's an asian thing for some cases, but for others, you cant.

you could say it's a hispanic/latino thing for some cases, but for others, you cant.

i think the data that stands out the most for me was the (drug or violence) expulsions and suspensions.

if you take a look, you can see that westminster is really bad in this category, then woodbridge,

then la quinta, then university, now look at their ranking...

We figured in our discussions that it is a race and class issue. In Orange Couny, White kids tend to come from middle class (or higher) backgrounds; whereas Hispanic kids tend to come from working class (or lower) backgrounds. This is so evident in most cases that you can't separate race from class. Thus, poorer schools (schools with more Hispanics) don't do as well as richer schools.

[quote author="rickhunter" date=1212415990]i was wondering about that so i looked at the data. see for yourself.

the page has links that has detail data per school and categories...

la quinta (7) has 70% asian to 19% hispanic/latino, 840 api, 1504 sat

westminster (52) has 38% asian to 43% hispanic/latino 707 api, 1489 sat

university (3) has 48% asian to 5% hispanic/latino 881 api, 1861 sat

woodbridge (10) has 29% asian to 9% hispanic/latino 839 api, 1721 sat

you can come up with all kinds of conclusions based on the categories/data that is tracked.

you could say it's an asian thing for some cases, but for others, you cant.

you could say it's a hispanic/latino thing for some cases, but for others, you cant.

i think the data that stands out the most for me was the (drug or violence) expulsions and suspensions.

if you take a look, you can see that westminster is really bad in this category, then woodbridge,

then la quinta, then university, now look at their ranking...</blockquote>

westminster is where the poor asian live and the newbies that just came over. La quinta is in a better part of westminster.... it border FV and the neighborhood has more money.

I think people would like to make it a race and class issue. But it mostly is not.

If you take a look at at

huntington beach (40) has 10% asian to 15% hispanic/latino, 766 api, 1627 sat

Guess what? The (drug or violence) level at huntington beach is even worse than westminster's?

A hard learning environment where a large part dont care?

People can link it to poverty, race, etc. as this blog has but (drug or violence)

can come from anywhere.

Interesting. From what i've seen at some of these schools, i've been very impressed.

But it also depends upon the parents. I see alot of kids from well to do homes and they have very little drive to be better....

Anyways good luck

-bix

Based on the factors used for this report, Orange County High School of the Arts came in 6th. Had some of the factors been the manners and attitude of the students and parents, I dare say OCHSA would have been 1st.

So, more interesting - which of these schools has selective entrance requirements? If you have a test or something (like Oxford or Troy) and so only the cream of the crop gets in - it's easy to raise the test scores.

As a parent, the real criterion is how good is the educational experience going to be. Given a random unscreened student - how much more are they going to learn?

Considering that Irvine doesn't stream off and admit (ie everyone's integrated) to skew the results, having 4 of the top 10 is pretty darn impressive. Anyone know which other schools on the list below are integrated rather than selective?

Anaheim Union High............Oxford Academy........1

Fullerton Joint Union High.....Troy High..................2

Irvine Unified......................University High..........3

Santa Ana Unified................Middle College High...4

Irvine Unified......................Irvine High...............5

Santa Ana Unified...............O.C. High School of the Arts...6

Garden Grove Unified.........La Quinta High........................7

Anaheim Union High...........Cypress High.........................8

Irvine Unified.....................Northwood High.....................9

Irvine Unified.....................Woodbridge High.................10

Los Alamitos Unified............Los Alamitos High.......11

Newport-Mesa Unified.........Corona del Mar High....12

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/education/article_2048639.php

You can draw many conclusions from the rankings, having "selection" does explain why Oxford and Troy should be at the top.

Also, even though University and other top 10 schools dont have "selection" in terms of the school choosing the students based on entrance exams or transcripts, it does not mean that students wont use boundary addresses to go to certain schools.

Some LA Quinta students maybe should have gone to Los Amigos. This might help or hurt LA Quinta, know what I mean?

[quote author="Anonymous" date=1212636562]So, more interesting - which of these schools has selective entrance requirements? If you have a test or something (like Oxford or Troy) and so only the cream of the crop gets in - it's easy to raise the test scores.

</blockquote>

These schools have natural boundaries for incoming students:

1. University

2. Irvine High...............5

3. La Quinta High........................7

4. Cypress High.........................8

5. Northwood High.....................9

6. Woodbridge High.................10

7. Los Alamitos High.......11

8. Corona del Mar High....12

I am surprised to see 2 schools in Santa Ana are in the top 6. The top students from these 2 schools and Westminster have a much higher acceptance to the top colleges than the school from the affluent communities. Top colleges recognized the latch key kids come from a culturally and financially deprived environment are much more deserving of a position in college than kids groomed academically since toddler age. There is a huge difference between a desire to suceed than programmed to succeed.

HS Teacher or Rick, can you look up the demographic of these 2 schools? Doesn't sound like there are whites and Asians going to these schools.

[quote author="Anonymous" date=1212636562]So, more interesting - which of these schools has selective entrance requirements? If you have a test or something (like Oxford or Troy) and so only the cream of the crop gets in - it's easy to raise the test scores.

As a parent, the real criterion is how good is the educational experience going to be. Given a random unscreened student - how much more are they going to learn?

Considering that Irvine doesn't stream off and admit (ie everyone's integrated) to skew the results, having 4 of the top 10 is pretty darn impressive. Anyone know which other schools on the list below are integrated rather than selective?

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/education/article_2048639.php</blockquote>

After reading the school links from the OCR articles. The common denominators for the top ranking schools located in poorer neighborhoods are small in school size and enrollments. Interaction among students and teachers gives the students a responsibility to do well in schools thus avoiding embarrasement and humiliation when everyone knows each other so well. One feels a sense of pride and a confidence with his or her identity.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/education/article_2048639.php</blockquote>

bkshpr - Both schools from the Santa Ana Unified School District in the top 10 have selective entrance requirements. They are not indicative of the neighborhoods they are located in. Orange County High School of the Arts has students from all over Orange County and even some from Riverside County, Phoenix, Long Beach, etc. and OCHSA constantly struggles to find students from Santa Ana for political expediency.

Thank you for the clarification. What draws the interest and desire of both parents and students. Some dedicated students living far away spent several hours on public transportation just for getting to school.

[quote author="awgee" date=1212656152]bkshpr - Both schools from the Santa Ana Unified School District in the top 10 have selective entrance requirements. They are not indicative of the neighborhoods they are located in. Orange County High School of the Arts has students from all over Orange County and even some from Riverside County, Phoenix, Long Beach, etc. and OCHSA constantly struggles to find students from Santa Ana for political expediency.</blockquote>

I think what you are all saying are true, that class size, selective, dedicated students allow a school to be ranked high.

As a parent, I would not have needed a ranking to tell me that a school with low class size, entrance exams, etc was a good school.

In some ways, these rankings allow the faculty, parents of the ranked school, to continue to do their great work if ranked high,

or do better work if ranked lower.

Furthermore, it's going to be the faculty, parents that continue to monitor the schools, children behavior. So that the environment continue

to be one where children can learn safely and not be distracted by violence and crime.

Looking over the school rankings, a definite overall trend exists: The higher the white and/or asian population (by percentage) the school has, wtih few exceptions, the higher they rank.

THEM STATISTICS BE RACIST!

Back