Opinion on Beckman High

[quote author="Boston2theBay" date=1214975946]Ten,

Materi Dei and Orange Lutheran aren't exactly rigorous private schools. From a Catholic school perspective they less prestigious than Loyola HS. In fact, I can't think of any high caliber private schools in OC, at least not on the par of a Pasadena Polytechnic/Webb/Brentwood School. It's too bad as I'm sure there is a market.</blockquote>

the catholic high school in RSM is quite good.

and there is one very good private high school in The OC, the sage school in NPB next to Irvine.

It can be top tier all it wants, but it sits next to and/or on a landfill - and even more importantly - very near the methane recovery equipment. On the bright side, it probably discourages the kids from smoking.

Mater Dei is for kids with money, not smarts.

For private, Cornelia Connelly.

The Catholic high school in RSM is Santa Margarita High School and it is not any better than the public high school, Tesoro, in the same area. The drugs are more expensive at SMHS, and people send their kids there for status.

I guess we don't really mention private schools because kids can come from anywhere in the county to attend them. The public schools, on the other hand, help us understand the quality of the neighborhood.

Although academics is a priority, I'm also rather impressed by facilities. Beckman is a physically attractive school. Out of the top 30 schools, I would put Beckman in the top 10 just based on its site.

My child attends a private school and I can tell you it is worth every penny. I know 30 families from Pioneer and Beckman as well as families that have kids at the other mentioned schools and it is scary what goes on in the bathrooms and everywhere else! Academics is not the only thing you should consider when picking a school....

[quote author="bailey waiting" date=1215492418]My child attends a private school and I can tell you it is worth every penny. I know 30 families from Pioneer and Beckman as well as families that have kids at the other mentioned schools and it is scary what goes on in the bathrooms and everywhere else! Academics is not the only thing you should consider when picking a school....</blockquote>

Please elaborate....

-bix

Haha. Wow. Seriously, any parent who is concerned about if their kid is going to a school that is ranked 8th vs. 4th is pathetic.

I hope you feel good about how depressed your child will be from all the pressure to excel past everyone else.

[quote author="25w100k+" date=1215498532]Haha. Wow. Seriously, any parent who is concerned about if their kid is going to a school that is ranked 8th vs. 4th is pathetic.

I hope you feel good about how depressed your child will be from all the pressure to excel past everyone else.</blockquote>

That is why we have heroin addicts. Good times, good times.

Are you all serious? You must not have any children. Uni high has the highest suicide rate in OC and I would never send my child there because of the pressure. I did not attend private school growing up but now choose it for my children. The academics can be better depending on the private school you choose. The behavior standards are higher for sure. No bubble here. Just growing up at the pace that is right for young children. I have heard that kids are having sex or doing various sexual things in the bathrooms at pioneer high. I have found that across the board kids are about one year to one and a half years behind the public schools in terms of maturity. I don't think this will do anything but give my kids a chance to be a kid a little longer! 10 years old and doing sexual things at school... NO THANK YOU.

You show your age by your post!

Bailey, just take a minute and breathe. You seem pretty upset by somebody's comment, but it's not clear as to whose. No one challenged you or diagreed with you, so I am really unclear why you seem so upset.

In the meantime, let's clarify a few things because your errors do make me question the validity of the things you have heard.

1. Pioneer is a <em>junior</em> high school, not a high school.

2. Most 10 year olds are in fifth grade, which is not junior high school.

If you are deeply concerned about the sexual development of children, I would suggest that you read up on the subject. Knowledge is power. Casting aspersions, not so much (sadly, I know from experience). When kids that age are engaging in sexual behavior, it is usually because they have been sexually abused themselves. In some instances, it is from being exposed to such things via TV, music, movies, the Internet, etc. While I can certainly understand not wanting to place your children in that atmosphere, there is a difference between isolated incidents and prevailing norm. If it's prevailing norm, not having the kids go to that school makes sense. Isolated incidents bother me (the only person I can speak for) less and they can be used as "teachable moments."

And I would just add that my experience, while a little dated, is that more kids who have gone to private schools have problem attitudes about drugs and sex than those who have attended public schools.

I am new to the blogging thing so you will have to excuse my miss typing. I am well informed and well aware. I realize that pioneer is a jh and that ten year olds typically are in fifth grade. I have one. It did erk me when 25w=110k made his post.... ( I am pathetic and my kids will be depressed from "the pressure".) I will slow down and realize this is indeed just a blog, but I have pulled my kids out of public school. In my opinion Kids in this area are growing up too fast, too focused on money, and missing the value of family and innocence. Again this is a generalization and what I have posted previously is hearsay. But my experiences in public school with other children and my friends experiences with other children creates cause for concern. I have one friend who has a child 2 years older. She used to say that I didn't need to pay for a private school when we have the top ranked schools. Today she has pulled her kids out and put them in private because of how much the kids are exposed to at such an early age. And this is not a couple of isolated incidents. I also have had a friend who has opened my eyes to "how kids are disciplined in the p.s.", and when they get expelled, they are bumped around to the nearest next school. Anyway. I appreciate your ability to calm me down and see that this is just a blog. I was just reading about all of the posts about schools and have a lot of input by experience. I don't assume that by putting them in private school that this will eliminate all the "bad things" for them. Nor do I want that because I want them to be ready for real life. Drugs and sex do happen at private schools too. It just seems to be to a lesser degree on the norm and a bit later than in the public schools.

[quote author="bailey waiting" date=1215767427]I am new to the blogging thing so you will have to excuse my miss typing. I am well informed and well aware. I realize that pioneer is a jh and that ten year olds typically are in fifth grade. I have one. It did erk me when 25w=110k made his post.... ( I am pathetic and my kids will be depressed from "the pressure".) </blockquote>

While 25's post followed yours, I don't think he / she was actually responding to you, but a post above that. In fact, I thought your comment about Uni having the highest suicide rate kind of demonstrated his/her point. From what you both wrote, I think that you agree that too much pressure on kids to excel is a bad thing.

In any event, please continue to express opinions, ask questions, etc. Somewhere around here is a thread about raising kids so as to not be more materialistic. (I apologize that I don't know where off the top of my head, but maybe the search function can help.) I know that there are a number of parents who would appreciate your insight and contributions. Welcome!

Eva?s right. You mis-interpreted 25w100k+?s post.

He was making fun of the API ranking, rightfully so.

Those rankings are a joke.

Most people aren?t smart enough to see past that.

They?re under the misconception that if their kid goes to Uni or Northwood, they will automatically be successful.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I don?t care if a guy can beat me at Chess.

As long as I dominate in life, I?m happy.

Stay the course and keep your child in private school.

It?s the best investment you can make toward your child?s future.

my cousin attended woodbridge. *GASP* we've made him wear a scarlett W. if he had any filial piety he would wear a bag over his head at family functions. the shame... oh, the shame...

I'm only familiar with public schools. From my experience, there are a lot values in going to a good one versus a bad one. But are private schools that much better than good public schools? I had always assumed that parents would send their kids to private if the nearby public wasn't so good.

I truly believe the *main* advantage of going to school in a good area (irvine) is just the fact that you are surrounded by peers with a moderately high intelligence level and a desire to succeed. There are some schools where otherwise bright children become less focused on academics, or simply don't set their sites high enough.

Also...my high school GPA was pretty bad....I seem to be doing ok. :)

Back