Opinion on Beckman High

frank69m_IHB

Doesn't look like it is ranked very high. Any opinions?

Anyone know of a good website for OC School rankings? Wanna see your source too.

Frank,

There were several new schools that could not be ranked yet, because they don't have enough history. Next year Beckman should be rankable, along with Northwood and Segerstrom (in Santa Ana).

There are some excellent discussions in a folder further down in the forum column, with the title of "schools". Go see if any of those discussions satisfy your questions and of course, ask additional questions for the group there. just a suggestion.

Beckman is in a great location and has very good amenities. Plus, it's more diverse then any Irvine high schools. I doubt its academic rankings will ever be on par with an Irvine high school, but it has a very good range of students. I think it's overall better than 75% of the OC high schools.

[quote author="frank69m" date=1214702393]Doesn't look like it is ranked very high. Any opinions?

Anyone know of a good website for OC School rankings? Wanna see your source too.</blockquote>

You will be seeing the changing of scores in a few years. During the infancy of both Northpark and West Irvine starter families bought there and kids were born during the mid-late 90's. These kids are incredibly smart regardless of race although predominantly Asians. Myford Elementary has won many times as the most distinguished primary school in the state and many of its first generation has moved on to Pioneer last years. Myford opened in 2000. The culture in West Irvine is different from the rest of Irvine. It does not appeared to be matching up with the Joneses. The neighborhood has the poorest architectural aesthetic but the quality of life IMO is happier for families. Perhaps families spent less on the homes and has more income left for doing other things like vacations, academic excel programs or perhaps the neighboring Tustin Ranch offers great outdoor parks and recreations for families to enjoy.

Casing point, this group of smart kids is currently in Pioneer and will be going to Beckman in 2-3 years. I will bet this underdog HS will be a stiff competition to the Irvine schools.

I don?t know much about Beckman (Prep School Representing!) but their fundraising is very aggressive.

Every week it seems I get the flier in the mail for the Go Patriots Car Wash, Bake Sale, Spirit Squad, Blood-Drive, etc..

They really seem like they are heading in the direction of Northwood. From what I have seen and heard, Beckman is reminding me of the early days of Northwood High when they finally got a full school (Freshmen to Seniors, 2001-2002 at NW). And judging from the strong Tustin Ranch schools feeding into it, I am sure it will be more than fine.

Below is the list of O.C. high schools sorted by API scores (above 800) in decreasing order.

Before that is a list of just Irvine/Tustin high schools.

Although I think Beckman is a great school in a great area, I don't think it will get to the Uni or Northwood levels.

University is a well established academic stronghold while Northwood has an abundance of resources from its surrounding community.

I'm already impressed with how Beckman surpassed other good schools such as Edison, Huntington Beach, Villa Park, and Newport Harbor.

1. University

2. Northwood

3. Woodbridge

4. Foothill

5. Irvine

6. Beckman

Oxford High

Troy High

University High

Corona del Mar High

Northwood High

Orange County High School of the Arts

Cypress High

Sunny Hills High

Hope Special Education Center

La Quinta High

Woodbridge High

Middle College High

Laguna Hills High

Los Alamitos High

Esperanza High

Foothill High

Irvine High

Dana Hills High

Fountain Valley High

Mission Viejo High

Aliso Niguel High

Tesoro High

Canyon High

El Toro High

Trabuco Hills High

Laguna Beach High

Marina High

Beckman (Arnold O.) High

Pacifica High

El Dorado High

Brea-Olinda High

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1214887347]Below is the list of O.C. high schools sorted by API scores (above 800) in decreasing order.

Before that is a list of just Irvine/Tustin high schools.

Although I think Beckman is a great school in a great area, I don't think it will get to the Uni or Northwood levels.

University is a well established academic stronghold while Northwood has an abundance of resources from its surrounding community.

I'm already impressed with how Beckman surpassed other good schools such as Edison, Huntington Beach, Villa Park, and Newport Harbor.

1. University

2. Northwood

3. Woodbridge

4. Foothill

5. Irvine

6. Beckman

Oxford High

Troy High

University High

Corona del Mar High

Northwood High

Orange County High School of the Arts

Cypress High

Sunny Hills High

Hope Special Education Center

La Quinta High

Woodbridge High

Middle College High

Laguna Hills High

Los Alamitos High

Esperanza High

Foothill High

Irvine High

Dana Hills High

Fountain Valley High

Mission Viejo High

Aliso Niguel High

Tesoro High

Canyon High

El Toro High

Trabuco Hills High

Laguna Beach High

Marina High

Beckman (Arnold O.) High

Pacifica High

El Dorado High

Brea-Olinda High</blockquote>

Mark my words. Wait 4 years and compare Beckman again. The brightest kids are over at Pioneer Middle Schools right now.

I think Beckman High are students from:

Northpark

Tustin Ranch

and a small part of regular Tustin

right?

Does anyone know where I can find the lines on which area goes to which schools?

Aren?t we forgetting about schools like Mater Dei and Orange Lutheran?

What do the stats look like for those schools; it would be interesting to see.

IMO, these schools draw the best from the area, Newport, Irvine, Orange, Anaheim Hills, etc..

How do they compare with Beckman or others on this list?

ten likes the innocent churchy girls. they're the only ones that haven't already dated or know someone that dated him.

[quote author="acpme" date=1214956122]ten likes the innocent churchy girls. they're the only ones that haven't already dated or know someone that dated him.</blockquote>

So not true!

Most of the girls I dated at SC went to Mater Dei.

My sister went there as well, Mater Dei and SC!

[quote author="tenmagnet" date=1214952147]Aren?t we forgetting about schools like Mater Dei and Orange Lutheran?

IMO, these schools draw the best from the area, Newport, Irvine, Orange, Anaheim Hills, etc..

How do they compare with Beckman or others on this list?</blockquote>

You forgot Villa Park in your list of cities (yes, it has been a city since 1962). According to hs_teacher they send all their kids to private schools so they can avoid going to VP high. I mean, it is below Fountain Valley high by one ranking, so anything below FV high is crap.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1214960717][quote author="tenmagnet" date=1214952147]Aren?t we forgetting about schools like Mater Dei and Orange Lutheran?

How do they compare with Beckman or others on this list?</blockquote>

You forgot Villa Park in your list of cities (yes, it has been a city since 1962). According to hs_teacher they send all their kids to private schools so they can avoid going to VP high. I mean, it is below Fountain Valley high by one ranking, so anything below FV high is crap.</blockquote>

It wasn't intentional.

However, we have some family friends that live in Villa Park.

One son goes to Servite, the other to Orange Lutheran.

I think a lot of parents from Villa Park, Orange Hills (Santiago Canyon), Anaheim Hills send their kids to private schools.

IMO, private schools get overlooked in these educational, ?best schools? discussion.

I believe this was mentioned in the article that posted these numbers and they had a reason for it. Although I can't remember what the was reason was, my guess is the scores don't have to be publicized or were not available to the people researching. Or maybe, do they even take the same standardized tests?

Personally, I don't see why alot of schools put weight on the standardized tests. There is no incentive or reason for the student to put their best effort. Seems like SAT's and GPA's would be the best way to go.

Ten,

Materi Dei and Orange Lutheran aren't exactly rigorous private schools. From a Catholic school perspective they less prestigious than Loyola HS. In fact, I can't think of any high caliber private schools in OC, at least not on the par of a Pasadena Polytechnic/Webb/Brentwood School. It's too bad as I'm sure there is a market.

[quote author="Boston2theBay" date=1214975946]Ten,

Materi Dei and Orange Lutheran aren't exactly rigorous private schools. From a Catholic school perspective they less prestigious than Loyola HS. In fact, I can't think of any high caliber private schools in OC, at least not on the par of a Pasadena Polytechnic/Webb/Brentwood School. It's too bad as I'm sure there is a market.</blockquote>

Excellent post, what you say makes a lot of sense.

First off, I didn?t know Mater Dei or Orange Lutheran weren?t exactly top-tier.

They?re the most popular private schools in OC.

A lot of my immediate friends, myself, and family have attended private schools.

To my knowledge, they are rarely if ever mentioned on the IHB forums, which is truly a shame.

Speaking from my own experience, I do think they are worth the money.

My sister says that St. Margaret?s is also one of the best.

Back