Open House

ps9 said:
Looks good... but why is this considered a detached condo?  Is this one of the few in the HOA that has a driveway?
Actually, the entire complex has driveways and sidewalks... but they are all classified as detached condos much like Linden in Quail Hill and a few other tracts in Irvine. It might have something to do with distance between homes and setbacks but I remember something about Woodbury East where the land developer and builder designate what type of units they are zoned to be even though they have features similar to SFR.

Maybe another member more familiar with this process can enlighten us.

Does it pass the walk-around test? If you cannot walk around the entire house without obstruction then it is most likely a detached condo.

I'm sure IHS or someone could answer with the official definition

Actually... I think there are numerous detached condos you can walk around... you'll get stopped at one of the sideyard walls... but most SFRs don't open on both sideyards.

I'm not sure the walkaround test is sufficient (aren't all the new TIC detached condos walk aroundable?).

irvinehomeowner said:
Actually... I think there are numerous detached condos you can walk around... you'll get stopped at one of the sideyard walls... but most SFRs don't open on both sideyards.

I'm not sure the walkaround test is sufficient (aren't all the new TIC detached condos walk aroundable?).

I dont have the official definiton but I know from personal experience that a detached condo includes:
1. HOA maintains the front yard landscaping and driveway.
2. Zero lot lines are possible instead of the typical distance between neighbors lot line.

I'm sure there are others as well.

irvinehomeowner said:

I know Santa Cruz in WBE and the Portola Detached products (Primrose, Casero) all failed the test. Eventually you were stopped by the side yard wall or the A/C or something that required you to turn around.

Hmm... I think it was Santa Cruz where there was 5 ft on each side and you can walk around... but you stopped at the sidewall on one side because it didn't have a gate like the other side.

And what about paired SFRs or zero lot line SFRs (like some of the ones in Woodbury's Sonoma) where you can't do the walk around?

Newbie to this forum, before I totally understand the rule and policy to start a new thread, I feel it's safe to just reply in this thread w/ our simple open house experience. We "accidentally" saw two house past weekend (on our way to friend's party).
Our friend lives close to this one: http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/15-Daybreak-92614/home/4693007
Interesting, not many people showed up (compare to 2nd one). House has its style, pics matches what we saw (funny that we checked after our visit), there are lots of pros and I think i will just focus on two cons we didn't like: one: overall we felt it's small, 2nd floor really has not much of a space between each room, two: too many stairs (you have to climb 3 stairs to enter the front door and 3 stairs to get down to other living space) -- and the stair is higher -- you really have to make an effort to lift the foot (yah, call me lazy..) and be very careful to get down ...  :mad:. house failed twice from escrow: one is buyer changed mind, another one buyer lost job (poor guy).  Another interesting thing is to hear people mentioned the one near lake (with murder case), guess after years, no body dear to buy that one.
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/18-Deerwood-E-92604/home/4684977
On our way to take some outdoor activities in nearby park (which we go there often), we saw this one. Boy, so many people showed up, buyers, agents, you name it. Again, I will just focus on cons we didn't like: 1) fenshui or fengshui(?? sorry, hope u know what I mean), there is a huge tree right in the middle of the front yard, I am not quite familiar with fenshui but with my limited knowledge, seems it's not fenshui'ed 2) 2nd floor, hm.... it's a huge bonus room, totally changed what we saw on other 2 story houses (well, we have to admit that we have not seen lots of houses and that's why we always think 2nd floor is master bedroom with huge bathroom + walk-in closet). A big empty room sits on 2nd floor with loft, a tiny small bath room and NO closet. After discussion w/my wife, we still don't know what's the good use of 2nd floor, and anyone know why the design is like this back in 1976. Overall, first floor is nice, 2nd floor...  :-X

again, newbie to this forum, not professional, just regular Irvine resident and looking for our next house. 

Thanks for sharing IrvineDav... didn't know the South Lake home was a murder house... I was wondering why a Woodbridge home has been on the market for over 300 days. 

first, did anyone else get accidently excited that IndieDev was back?  at first glance, the screen name irvinedav sure looked like IndieDev to me

second, which house was a murder house?  neither of the links irvinedav posted were 300 day houses so not clear which one you guys are referring to

The only thing I remember in that South Woodbridge Landings area was the suicide. Something about some doctor in a murder plot who had stuff buried in his backyard... if I find the article I'll post it.

I also remember they totally razed that house and built a new one... which I believe they eventually sold to someone.

Maybe this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Ford

irvinehomeowner said:
The only thing I remember in that South Woodbridge Landings area was the suicide. Something about some doctor in a murder plot who had stuff buried in his backyard... if I find the article I'll post it.

I also remember they totally razed that house and built a new one... which I believe they eventually sold to someone.

ps9 said:
Google 8 rainstar murder
Whoah... that was where that happened? I vaguely remember that incident but didn't realize it was that house... which we actually saw during an Open House a few months ago.

We always wondered why it was taking so long to sell... and now we know why.

@cowlemon: Yes... that was the guy I was talking about... Larry Ford.

irvinehomeowner said:
ps9 said:
Google 8 rainstar murder
Whoah... that was where that happened? I vaguely remember that incident but didn't realize it was that house... which we actually saw during an Open House a few months ago.

We always wondered why it was taking so long to sell... and now we know why.

@cowlemon: Yes... that was the guy I was talking about... Larry Ford.

I think we were preoccupied with the Trabuco grove murder behind the Chinese restaurant.  Occurred around the same time.

to rkp: nah, I am Dav, recently relocated to Irvine - guess the other Id must've been a famous member here/before (??).

to irvinehomeowner: you are not alone, we were about to see that house, our woodbridge friends told us all kinds of stories: rainstar, crazy larry, etc. WOW!

PS9, I saw you and your and the family at an open house in West Irvine around 1pm, I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to come by and say hello (on a tight schedule with my buyers showing houses).

Back