one oven or three?

nyc to oc

Hi there,

I have to decide whether or not to pay $5000 extra for a kitchen upgrade in new construction, and would like to poll the collective wisdom of TI.

The standard kitchen comes with one wall oven and one wall microwave and a 6 burner gas cooktop.
Or, you can pay $5000 to upgrade the gas range to include two ovens underneath.
We do very little oven-type cooking, and don't think we've ever needed to use more than one at a time,  so 3 ovens seems like overkill to me.  There's no option for just two ovens.

But I wonder if at resale, most buyers would find it a negative point to have only 1 oven.  For context, the house is 3800+ sq ft.

Thanks in advance!

i would definitley do it. i dont care if i didnt use it. i think it would look cool. if you ask me, every kitchen should come with two ovens, two fridges and perhaps two microwaves.

nyc to oc said:
Hi there,

I have to decide whether or not to pay $5000 extra for a kitchen upgrade in new construction, and would like to poll the collective wisdom of TI.

The standard kitchen comes with one wall oven and one wall microwave and a 6 burner gas cooktop.
We do very little oven-type cooking, and don't think we've ever needed to use more than one at a time,  so 3 ovens seems like overkill to me.  There's no option for just two ovens.

But I wonder if at resale, most buyers would find it a negative point to have only 1 oven.  For context, the house is 3800+ sq ft.

Thanks in advance!
So you are buying in Saviero, a 1.7 million house.  I say spend another $5K and upgrade.  It will come in handy when you entertain

We got this upgrade and barely use it but it looks cool to have a big heavy industrial looking stainless steel cooktop and oven in your kitchen.

Go for it.

nyc to oc said:
Hi there,

Thanks in advance!

And from what I recall isn't the microwave actually a convection microwave oven feature? Then you'll have 4 ovens!  ;D

If you opt for the extra ovens, you'll lose the cabinet storage space underneath the cooktop.  I prefer the cabinet space to store heavy pots and pans which I can easily transfer to the stove when cooking. To me, this is more valuable than an extra oven, which I'd only use during the holidays.  For that, I just use my portable electric oven (looks like a compact microwave I can otherwise store away).

Buy the house for what you want rather than trying to second-guess what the next occupants might need. If having more than one oven is important to them they can probably upgrade and get a NEW second oven for much less than the $5K you will pay now.

I would say absolutely get the oven upgrade. At resale for that size house and corresponding pricepoint, the expectation will be there for more than 1 oven. Yes, the new buyers can put one in themselves but I feel like homebuyers prefer not to take on projects like that. In terms of sacrificing storage space, most of these new home construction kitchens come with more than enough storage. If you need more, probably time to purge :)

bones said:
I would say absolutely get the oven upgrade. At resale for that size house and corresponding pricepoint, the expectation will be there for more than 1 oven. Yes, the new buyers can put one in themselves but I feel like homebuyers prefer not to take on projects like that. In terms of sacrificing storage space, most of these new home construction kitchens come with more than enough storage. If you need more, probably time to purge :)
I agree. If it was a $1M house, i'd say pass (unless you cook a lot / would use it), but 3800 sq ft new construction, anyone buying that house will expect the kitchen to come with at least 2 ovens, imo.  I am a sucker for homes with nice kitchens. 

I'm with WTT, I prefer more cabinet storage than more ovens.

But with that being said, I'm sure your kitchen is huge enough, so it wouldn't hurt to get the double oven upgrade.

Although we only have had a need for one oven, during parties and thanksgiving, a second oven would have been helpful.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm with WTT, I prefer more cabinet storage than more ovens.

But with that being said, I'm sure your kitchen is huge enough, so it wouldn't hurt to get the double oven upgrade.

Although we only have had a need for one oven, during parties and thanksgiving, a second oven would have been helpful.
Get the ovens.  You can use the extra 2 ovens as additional cabinets when you're not having a party.  Ovens have adjustable shelving, just like cabinets.

Back