On the Border Irvine Marketplace closed. Whats next? (updated)

irvinehomeowner said:
How that place lasted this long is beyond me.

The worsT... THE ABSOLUTE WORST Tacos I've ever had in my life.  I too can't believe it's hung around this long.

I agree with others, that place was terrible. TIC won't do it but they need a good asian eatery in that mall--maybe a Honda-Ya / Izakaya type place with asian tapas and drinks.

iacrenter said:
I agree with others, that place was terrible. TIC won't do it but they need a good asian eatery in that mall--maybe a Honda-Ya / Izakaya type place with asian tapas and drinks.
Why wouldn't they? Where Lazy Dog is, there was a Chinese restaurant... and Cafe 302 just opened in the Food Court area over there.

I vote for a Golden Corral. :)

That was such a sorry excuse for mexican food - one of the worst I've had.  Taco Bell and Del Taco were better - yet somehow there was always a wait on Fri/Sat nights there and I kept going back cuz they sent me BOGO email coupons...

That is a pretty large location with a lot of parking - I can only hope for Claim Jumper.

irvinehomeowner said:

+1 .. Can't seem to find a similar buffet type food in the area.  Tried the Celebrity Soul Food in Lake Forest and just way below par compared to Golden Corral.

GH said:
irvinehomeowner said:

+1 .. Can't seem to find a similar buffet type food in the area.  Tried the Celebrity Soul Food in Lake Forest and just way below par compared to Golden Corral.

And I thought I had low standards for food :)

irvinehomeowner said:
The funny thing is I think they were the same owner as Islands... not like Islands had amazing Mexican food.

Aliso has the terrible threesome in their town center all owned by the same company...

Chili's
Macaroni Grill
On the Border

Went to On the Border twice and it was horrendous.  Can't believe people still choose to go there. 
I guess for the folks who like cookie cutter less authentic places it might be good.

Hopefully more Fusion chef owned places like Urban Seoul open up.  I like places that I can go and get something unique.

Also, helps with business because if I want X dish, I have to go to that restaurant.

You have to try really hard to screw up Mexican food. These guys went above and beyond in that regard.

We tried the place twice. The last time we went, we ordered Cadillac margaritas with 1800. All of the liquor was in plain sight behind the bar, but here's the weird part - the bartender took our order, disappeared behind a partition off to the side of the bar, and reappeared with a couple of pint glasses of what tasted like sweet and sour on the rocks.

If your food is worse than drive through grub, and you can't serve even a mediocre cocktail to patrons sitting at the bar, you deserve to die the slow death this place did.  :p

Golden Corral?  lol

Let's be honest.. the place can use a Cheesecake Factory.

No Golden Corral (or Hometown Buffett) please.  Souplantation satisfies my "buffet" urges and if I want to splurge a little, I can go to ACYE Korean BBQ or Makino.

I am glad that these restaurants are closing down...the options that were at the Marketplace were pretty bad for about the last 2 years.  With Class 302, Pieology, Islands, Veggie Grill, California Gogi, and others coming in...the choices are much better IMO. 

jmoney74 said:
Golden Corral?  lol

Let's be honest.. the place can use a Cheesecake Factory.
The only problem is there is already one just 5 (or is that 15) minutes down the 5 in Spectrum.

And it overlaps with Lazy Dog and BJ's... although that never really stopped TIC.

jmoney74 said:
the place can use a Cheesecake Factory.

That would be great. The parking and crowds at the Spectrum deter me from dining at that location as often as I'd like to.

El Cholo and On the Border closing. And mostly white people at places like Super Mex... Mexican food on the decline in Irvine?  Seems like there is demographic problem for the cuisine.

Back