Olivewood at Portola Springs by New Home Co.

I actually know a young couple with a newborn that was looking for houses a few years back approaching this price range (they were FCBs originally, but bought in the Bay Area and were looking to move down here). It was important to them that they get a brand new construction, and high schools had to have 10/10 test scores – despite the child not even being in preschool yet. They considered Newport Coast but ultimately got something in Altair without any view at all. At the time, CDM High had lower test scores than Portola High, not sure if that's still true. Like the other poster mentioned, they seemed to like the "newer" parts of Irvine like Orchard Hills and Portola Springs. I could have seen them going for something like Olivewood. Go figure.
I have heard that the first preference for FCB's in China is Irvine and especially the new construction homes and that they don't look in nearby cities in OC as they have only heard about Irvine back in China and how great the schools are here etc... through their friends and relatives!

Those residing in Newport Coast mostly send their kids to private schools like Sage Hill and don't care about the assigned public schools as much.

I actually know a young couple with a newborn that was looking for houses a few years back approaching this price range (they were FCBs originally, but bought in the Bay Area and were looking to move down here). It was important to them that they get a brand new construction, and high schools had to have 10/10 test scores – despite the child not even being in preschool yet. They considered Newport Coast but ultimately got something in Altair without any view at all. At the time, CDM High had lower test scores than Portola High, not sure if that's still true. Like the other poster mentioned, they seemed to like the "newer" parts of Irvine like Orchard Hills and Portola Springs. I could have seen them going for something like Olivewood. Go figure.
If they have that much cash send them to private and live in Newport/CDM, that would be me if I could afford it.

yea but why would you pay additional taxes for a "decent" public school? i seriously don't understand why people would pay such a premium for a public school. Sure, portola high is new and the facilities might be the state of the art compared to other schools but how much of a benefit does that improve your kids education? do you need new facilities to teach math/english/science/history/etc? You don't.

You're better off living near the school and using your friends/families address in Irvine.

If Irvine catches you, you're kicked out of the district, if you move back to an Irvine address, you're blacklisted. How they enforce this or how true it is I don't know, but heard this from an admin who used to work in the Irvine school district so must be some truth to it

It's more likely that it's a threat/deterrent for those that live in Irvine and want to send their kids to another IUSD school that they are not zoned to with the possibility of getting caught and then kicked out of the district, so you can't even go to your home school anymore even though you live in Irvine.

Rule #1: Don't talk about "Not Living in Irvine but Going to Irvine Schools Club".
If Irvine catches you, you're kicked out of the district, if you move back to an Irvine address, you're blacklisted. How they enforce this or how true it is I don't know, but heard this from an admin who used to work in the Irvine school district so must be some truth to it

It's more likely that it's a threat/deterrent for those that live in Irvine and want to send their kids to another IUSD school that they are not zoned to with the possibility of getting caught and then kicked out of the district, so you can't even go to your home school anymore even though you live in Irvine.
I think it's a given that you can get in trouble in any school district for doing it, not only Irvine. But whether or not it's enforced and to what degree is a different discussion. At this rate, we have a population decline and they will soon be asking for kids to come at some point.

And honestly, is one going to be the petty parent that will rat a kids family out for doing that? One must have a lot of time and must hate life that much to go to that degree

There have been some cases covered in the national media where the parents who were attending the wrong school district had to pay the school district the amount the school was receiving per student. If I remember correctly it was between 15-20k. It was essentially making it like a private school tuition payment

There have been some cases covered in the national media where the parents who were attending the wrong school district had to pay the school district the amount the school was receiving per student. If I remember correctly it was between 15-20k. It was essentially making it like a private school tuition payment
A lot of people do it and it’s more common than one thinks. None of them really get caught.

A lot of people do it and it’s more common than one thinks. None of them really get caught.

That's a risk someone will need to take. Similar to getting a kid into college by "being in sports" but once the dominoes fell, it sucked for everyone involved. This would be to a lesser degree of a penalty, but I'm sure people don't advertise getting caught.

How? Don't you need to show 3 bills with your name and address? You have to do that just register in our Little League let alone schools. I don't buy that.

How? Don't you need to show 3 bills with your name and address? You have to do that just register in our Little League let alone schools. I don't buy that.
I believe you only need one utility bill if I remember correctly under your name.

To enroll in IUSD, you need to sign a residency affidavit and submit 2 proofs (utility, property tax, lease, voter reg, etc). There are definitely non-Irvine residents that go to school in IUSD schools. I'm sure it's a mixture of staff/teacher kids, inter-district transfers and people who "cheat" the system. I don't know how easy it is to get caught but def a risk if you become a higher profile student - great athlete, award winning scholar, etc.

I think it's a given that you can get in trouble in any school district for doing it, not only Irvine. But whether or not it's enforced and to what degree is a different discussion. At this rate, we have a population decline and they will soon be asking for kids to come at some point.

And honestly, is one going to be the petty parent that will rat a kids family out for doing that? One must have a lot of time and must hate life that much to go to that degree

I'm not sure where you heard that there is a population decline, I know of 1 IUSD school that had a grandfather clause to finish up elementary school if you had another grade or 2 to go if you moved, they are getting rid of that since there are too many students.

I'm not sure where you heard that there is a population decline, I know of 1 IUSD school that had a grandfather clause to finish up elementary school if you had another grade or 2 to go if you moved, they are getting rid of that since there are too many students.
or maybe a bunch of them are filling up IUSD spots that arent in Irvine ;)

Back